It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board

• I thought I might have good news

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
    chaz50
    (male)

chaz50 HB User
    I thought I might have good news

I really don't know where to start on this post, but I guess from the beginning is always the best.

My mother in law was diagnosed with nsc lung cancer 5 months ago. At 72 she was in pretty good health, she had some issues but they were all being treated. She, with the help of her three daughters and doctors choose to treat the large tumor in her lung aggressively. The cancer had spread to her brain and brain surgery was scheduled immediately. The brain surgery was totally successful at removing the metastized tumor, next step was chemo and radiation. She went through the first round ok, I think she had three chemo and three radiation treatments. She had some sickness and nausea but it was manageable. Next round was with Sisplaton (sp) this really knocked her down, we almost lost her, she went almost two weeks without eating or drinking but she pulled out of it. Next dose again was not as bad as the Sisplaton, she had normal nausea and sickness. After six weeks she had her first scans and everyone was amazed, the doctors had said best case scenario they were hoping for a 70% reduction in the tumor, in actuality it shrunk 80%. Her brain scan was clean also. We were all amazed. I had lost both my parents to lung cancer so I was totally relieved that something good had happened. Well she had one more round of chemo and radiation, everything looked clean, last scans were clean and the doctor was close to calling her "in remission". Well about 4 weeks ago she started getting sick, having trouble breathing and feeling bad. Took her to emergency and they did an x-ray of her lungs and there was a large cloudy area. Her doctor was on vacation; she was admitted and was treated her with antibiotics. She was diagnosed with radiation neumenitis (sp). After treating her for a week with steroids it was obvious that it was not working, her oxygen levels were dropping, the neumenitis had spread to the other lung. After given practically a remission diagnosis she died of an infection caused by the radiation. Amazingly two hours before she passed, she was drinking a cup of tea and chatting with her daughters. Everyone (including her) knew the end was near and there was nothing anyone could do. So sadly she was cancer free and died of a lung infection caused by the radiation. After some reading up on this neumenitis I learned that it happens in like 1-8% of radiation patients and of those only 1% of those cases are terminal. She just could not shake the infection.

The following user gives a hug of support to chaz50:
    yingjie (01-25-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to chaz50 For This Useful Post:
    yingjie (01-25-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread