It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board

• Mom has Lung Cancer - REALLY Short of Breath

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
    MomsBaby12
    (female)

MomsBaby12 HB User
    Mom has Lung Cancer - REALLY Short of Breath

Hi everyone. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in February of 08. She will be 70 next month. Here is what we are most stumped about right now. She has received radiation and is currently undergoing chemo. She will have a scan tomorrow after or before her chemo treatment. She is being treated at Sloan Kettering in Basking Ridge NJ. She has had numerous test and stuff from a pulmonologist. She simply cannot catch her breath and is getting really frustrated with this. I dont blame her. She still continue to work at her part time job and tries to be as NORMAL as possible. She had a sniff test done by the pulmonolist and xrays - they say nothing odd or out of the ordinary. Her oxygen levels range from 95% - 97% and her counts are up and good per her doctor at Sloan. Why is my mother so short of breath when either laying down or being active. She looks good and is so positive - us kids are trying to support as much as we can but all 3 of us live out of the state of NJ. Anyone ever have such symptoms or know why the shortness or breath. She said she cant even walk from one store to another without having to stop and catch her breath. My mom was never ever a smoker but did have a father that smoked in the house. We are so saddened by this and as all know only want the best for our loved ones. She has had bronchoscopys and many other tests done. Besides this my aunt is also undergoing chemo for breast cancer - what a mess! If anyone anyone knows or has any suggestions etc please do tell. Other than this shortness of breath she says she feels fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
    kcjonnie
    (female)

kcjonnie HB User
    Re: Mom has Lung Cancer - REALLY Short of Breath

Hi-
    I'm sorry to read of your mom's cancer. I'm on here looking for help for my Dad who just got diagnosed (initally stage I Non small cell, now stage IV small cell.) I wanted to say, that he too, has shortness of breath, especially when bending over, etc. Initially he was told he has pulmonary fibrosis - which of brother of his has also. I don't know if this can be unrelated to the cancer, but it sure seems like it is related. I would image the location of the cancerous tumor plays a role in shortness of breath too. I hope you find some answers. God bless.
    kathy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MomsBaby12 View Post
    Hi everyone. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in February of 08. She will be 70 next month. Here is what we are most stumped about right now. She has received radiation and is currently undergoing chemo. She will have a scan tomorrow after or before her chemo treatment. She is being treated at Sloan Kettering in Basking Ridge NJ. She has had numerous test and stuff from a pulmonologist. She simply cannot catch her breath and is getting really frustrated with this. I dont blame her. She still continue to work at her part time job and tries to be as NORMAL as possible. She had a sniff test done by the pulmonolist and xrays - they say nothing odd or out of the ordinary. Her oxygen levels range from 95% - 97% and her counts are up and good per her doctor at Sloan. Why is my mother so short of breath when either laying down or being active. She looks good and is so positive - us kids are trying to support as much as we can but all 3 of us live out of the state of NJ. Anyone ever have such symptoms or know why the shortness or breath. She said she cant even walk from one store to another without having to stop and catch her breath. My mom was never ever a smoker but did have a father that smoked in the house. We are so saddened by this and as all know only want the best for our loved ones. She has had bronchoscopys and many other tests done. Besides this my aunt is also undergoing chemo for breast cancer - what a mess! If anyone anyone knows or has any suggestions etc please do tell. Other than this shortness of breath she says she feels fine.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
    MomsBaby12
    (female)

MomsBaby12 HB User
    Re: Mom has Lung Cancer - REALLY Short of Breath

Thank you for your response. We are just so baffled as this is her only symptom she complains of right now - and yes she says bending over also or laying down. I too hope you find some answers and God Bless with your dad!

Closed Thread