It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board

HPV and future mouth cancer risk?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
debbieann60
(female)

debbieann60 HB User
HPV and future mouth cancer risk?

Hi, about 20 years ago I was HPV positive with precancerous lesions on my cervix. All has been fine since then.
But, I was told recently by my ENT Doctor that my chances of developing throat cancer now or in future are 2-3 fold.
Is that high? Should I be worried?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
rduNC
(male)

rduNC HB User
Re: HPV and future mouth cancer risk?

I think it is very unlikely. First, even if you have HPV strain that causes cancer in the cervix, it does not just magically move to the oral and throat areas. (Though I wouldn't put your fingers in your vagina and then immediately/directly place them in your mouth as this could be a mode of transport. So, just wash your hands). Also, oral HPV seems to affect men 3 times more likely than women. (There are theories that it is easier to spread from a women's vagina and vaginal fluid to a mouth than from a man's penis to a mouth ... otherwise women would be having it at higher rates). Furthermore, the fact that you have some form of HPV has allowed your body to produce antibodies against it, so in the unlikely event you did get it in your mouth, your body and immune system would fight it off much easier than someone whose primary infection was in the mouth.

If it concerns you, you can practice oral sex with your partner with a condom on. People will say condoms don't protect everything, but just know that HPV is spread with skin to skin contact, so if you are performing oral sex on a man who is wearing a condom, the change of acquiring HPV in your mouth is extremely low.

In general, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, I'm not a doctor, but I'm a guy in my 30s who believes he contracted HPV in the oral region from oral sex with a women. I've been worried about it and read a TREMENDOUS amount on it (for both men and women). Sadly, even doctor's (ENT) don't know that much in regards to oral HPV. It's really quite bizarre and the connections they are finding are all fairly recent.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
dmize23235
(male)

dmize23235 HB User

i am a stage 4 oral cancer survivor from hpv,,,i have never smoked or drank but i was a drummer in a hair metal band in the 80s so i KNOW where my cancer came from.....this is very scary because technically, this kind of cancer is contagious.....

oral sex is a no go for me now...my main oncologist told me that since i have had hpv number 16, i am at a much higher risk of getting this horrible cancer again should i come in contact with hpv number 16 again

Old 05-10-2016, 04:43 AM   #4
debbieann60
(female)

debbieann60 HB User

Thank you both so much for responding. I'm sorry your lives have been affected by hpv at all.
It's crazy how a seemingly small little virus can cause so much harm.
You put my mind at ease.
Peace, and love to you.

Closed Thread