It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board

Concerned and looking for advice on Tonsil bump.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2016, 06:48 AM   #1
Euphoria62309
(male)

Euphoria62309 HB User
Concerned and looking for advice on Tonsil bump.

Hi, I am deeply concerned about a lump I have on my tonsil & my constant feeling as if something is in my throat.

For the record I am diagnosed with bad acid reflux so that could explain the lump feeling, I also currently have an appointment with an ENT on July 5th, but my concern is that instead of waiting I should go to the ER and get a biopsy done now?

Thank you everyone.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-01-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Concerned and looking for advice on Tonsil bump.

Hi...it looks as though your tonsils are infected and probably blocked by tonsil stones. You only have a few days to go and I don't know what the ER could do except possibly swab your throat and put you on antibiotics. Your ENT hopefully will do that as well as scope your throat to see if reflux is affecting your throat and that area. Definitely swabbing and culture is a must.

Are you also having sinus issues?

q

Old 06-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Euphoria62309
(male)

Euphoria62309 HB User

Hi again and thanks for the response.

In regards to sinuses, 2 of the last 4 years I had real bad sinus issues that ended up causing tension type headaches that lasted for months at a time. The headaches went from bad of skull all the way up and over the top. Even caused me to have a weird spacey feeling sometimes too.

At this moment however I can't really think of any sinus issues I am having other than my usual post nasal drip?

I also saw my primary today and she had her office call the ENT and get them to bump my appointment up to tomorrow morning. She was a bit concerned with how it looked.

My concern and my wife's as well is that it looks a lot like a papilloma, so the concern now is HPV. The pic I sent doesn't really let you zoom as well as the original pic.

Not sure how I would have gotten it though other than having a bad nail biting habit.

I have anxiety issues as it is so of course I'm really anxious at the moment.

Last edited by Euphoria62309; 06-30-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Euphoria62309
(male)

Euphoria62309 HB User

Update: (In the case anyone has the same issue)

ENT scoped my throat and says my voice box was swollen but nothing "nasty" that he can see. That thing was uncomfortable...

He also says the thing on my tonsil was a wart, just as me and my wife thought.

He removed it and sent it out for testing.

Will update when I get results.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...I looked at the pic on my desktop and it's amazingly big and clear....I can see exactly what you're talking about. Great your ENT did the exam, checked out the larynx,etc and took the wart off.

Stay with this ENT and get checked out regularly.

Did he give you anything for the swollen larynx?

Thanks for the update!
q

Last edited by quincy; 07-01-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
Euphoria62309
(male)

Euphoria62309 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...I looked at the pic on my desktop and it's amazingly big and clear....I can see exactly what you're talking about. Great your ENT did the exam, checked out the larynx,etc and took the wart off.

Stay with this ENT and get checked out regularly.

Did he give you anything for the swollen larynx?

Thanks for the update!
q
Larynx swelling was likely due to my reflux. Been taking Nexium these last few days and the lump feeling in my throat is pretty much gone.

Now just hoping for good news on the wart. Praying it's nothing sinister.

32 and falling apart it seems. May go back sooner than thought because I forgot to mention a few other things like a lump in my hard palate and a strange lump inbetween my lower and upper jaw on the left side.

Palate lump is small and has grown and shrunk twice before, so makes me believe it might be nothing sinister, plus the lump in cheek between jaw lines has been there for years and hasn't seems to grow.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...I can relate to falling apart, definitely subjective, and it sucks! Absolutely go back and mention all the other things that you have going on in your mouth Sometimes sinus issues can cause lumps/up and down bumps, especially on the palate. I'd suggest you ask the doc if that area can be x-rayed (or whatever is done to have a good look at what could possibly be going on).

Yeah, sinister (I like that word choice) is always a fear for most anyone. Best to know if something can be biopsied or removed if necessary... but non-invasive to see is also a good thing first.
I'd suggest you make a list of symptoms/pain/discharge, change in mouth taste, tongue/cheeks/gums texture, bleeding..etc.

There are so many things one can have that are benign, autoimmune, allergy or reactions...best to be able to differentiate.

Please let me know how that appointment goes.

q

Old 07-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
Euphoria62309
(male)

Euphoria62309 HB User

Biopsy results took a while and I was very anxious. Result was that it was benign and non HPV related.

Lump in hard palate also went down. Only thing now is lump in cheek but we are monitoring it for the next few months since it has been there for years.

In the end the outcome was good but the scare was real.

Hopefully this story helps anyone who may be the same situation I was and a Google search finds this threads and helps put their mind at ease while they wait trough appointments and results and not to instantly fear the worst as
I did.

Thank you to Quincy who replied and helped ease my mind. I greatly appreciate having found a place to have my thoughts heard by people who take the time to listen.

God bless.

Last edited by Euphoria62309; 07-07-2016 at 03:30 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Euphoria62309 For This Useful Post:
quincy (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #9
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...great to hear all is good regarding biopsy results and that the other lump is being monitored. That alone will ease your stress about it. It's a relief you had everything checked out.

Be well!
q

Last edited by quincy; 07-08-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Reply Reply