It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board

• help

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
    liz22012
    (female)

liz22012 HB User
    help

I thought I saw something on my tongue so I went to the dentist.

Then he said go to the oral surgeon to take a look. Now I am in panic mode. So he said it looks fine so I said can I show you exactly where so we are on the same page. Just in case he wasn't looking where I wanted. He did seem to look over the area well. He said you obviously having a hard time taking my answer since you want to show me now so I recommend you come back in two weeks and we can do a biopsy. So is something wrong? Would he say right there he was concerned?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: help

He said that to calm your anxiety since you weren't taking his answer for fact. It was very gracious of him to do that. If you still feel you need more reassurance, then get the biopsy and thank him for his graciousness.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
    liz22012
    (female)

liz22012 HB User

Thanks, Just really scared now. Like I had mentioned he said normal and when I wanted to make sure he said obviously you cannot except what I said since I am asking again so I want to see you in two weeks. That made me think he saw something when he looked again but I would think he would have to tell me that he did.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:01 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

An oral surgeon sees mouth cancers all the time. If he felt that what you showed him was even alittle bit suspicious, he would have done the biopsy right then and there.

The fact that he wants you to come back in two weeks means that he probably expects it to go away before then and he isn't concerned about it being something bad.

Mouth sores come and go. Ulcers, burns, even acid reflux can cause mouth sores. The mouth heals very fast; there is a good chance whatever it is will be gone in a few days.

Did he suggest gargling with salt water? It cant hurt and if it is is a sore it will help it heal quicker.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear liz,

Hon you were already scared. Isn't that why you went to the doctor?
    He told you everything is normal, but you asked again out of your fear. So he said he will look again for you. That is all that happened. The doctor was trying to reassure you. We can get tiny swellings in our mouths from eating acidic or other types of foods. It is perfectly normal.

We can't get over our fears by revisiting them. We have to choose to let the fear go. Tell yourself the truth. The doctor said normal. Normal means nothing is wrong.

It helps our bodies and minds relax if we are physically active.
    Go for a walk or go for a run, or go swimming. Relax your shoulders, shake the tension off. Cancel the 'reassurance' appointment and get busy doing fun things.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
    liz22012
    (female)

liz22012 HB User

Thanks. I think I was over thinking. I'm sure he would had said he saw something right there. There is no sore or anything just looked odd.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
    liz22012
    (female)

liz22012 HB User

Thank YaYa, I guess since after he looked again and said come back in two weeks I thought something was wrong. Again I think he would say I noticed this and so on instead he said since you obviously are having a hard time excepting what I said I recommend you come back in two weeks to do a biopsy so you know. I asked the assistant that was in the room he thinks everything is okay he just wants me back for my peace of mind and she said yes. I'm sure she wouldn't lie.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liz22012 View Post
    Thanks, Just really scared now. Like I had mentioned he said normal and when I wanted to make sure he said obviously you cannot except what I said since I am asking again so I want to see you in two weeks. That made me think he saw something when he looked again but I would think he would have to tell me that he did.

He didn't see anything concerning or he would have biopsied it then and there. You have to trust your doctor. You are worrying for nothing. He wants to see you back to see if it goes away or if there is any change but it obviously did not look like it was worthy of biopsying- or he would have.

Hang in there and let it heal.

Reply Reply