It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board

Palate Cancer -- life expectancy?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #1
SkyyShimmer
(female)

SkyyShimmer HB User
Palate Cancer -- life expectancy?

My grandmother is 75 years old, about 6 months ago she went to get dentures and found her mouth wasn't healing right where the teeth were pulled. Long story short, they found out she had palate cancer. She went to undergo surgery Tuesday to remove this cancer, which would have taken most of her upper jaw, lower jaw, nose, and up to her orbital cavity on the right side. They were to reconstruct using bones and tissue from her arm. However, when they got in there they found the cancer was a lot worse and aggressive than originally thought and seen on imaging, so surgery was then not an option. Radiation and chemo will not rid her of this cancer, only buy her some time. I am in a completely different state, so I have not been able to be there with the doctors daily while she is in the hospital, so I'm not too certain on all the details. My family knows how close I am to my grandmother so I feel like they are holding back details when I ask. I was just wondering what the normal life expectancy is with aggressive facial/neck (they are certain it is in her lymph nodes as well, however, they are still awaiting results back) and palate cancer. I am just trying to prepare myself for the news. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to SkyyShimmer:
Froodie (01-15-2015)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Froodie
(female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User
Re: Palate Cancer -- life expectancy?

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother's cancer. My sister died from mouth cancer. She kept it to herself for a while but after she told us she lived for five months. She pretty much gave up though and refused to eat. The doctors and nurses were very good with her and she died at home peacefully without any pain.

Closed Thread