It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

Lab results and indicators of PC

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
gav_73
Veteran
(female)

gav_73 HB User
Lab results and indicators of PC

I should apologize in advance, as my threads tend to be long. But when asking for opinions I like to give as much information as possible. I have had several health issues going on for years, including chronic anemia related to heavy periods, Barrett's Esophagus, colon polyps (at 39, but benign), and an extremely rare lung disease called LAM (medical word is too long) that is accompanied by rare but benign kidney tumors called angiomyolipomas.

After I was dx'd with LAM, which is terminal for many, I basically stopped following up on almost everything else. I am two years past scheduled colonoscopy and endoscopy, five years since seeing gyno, and two years since seeing hemotologist. About two months ago I saw a lot of blood in my stool...like a LOT! I attributed it to possible hemorrhoids since it wasn't "dark" or "tarry." But I realized that if it was hemorrhoids, wouldn't the blood be excreted first, BEFORE the stools? This came after the bowel movement was completed, and looked like a large "pile" of coagulated red blood about the size of the palm of a small hand. Scared me to death at first, but then I just thought hemorroids and forgot about it.

I began to manage the anemia with progesterone, which lightens and shortens my menstral cycle, so I expected the anemia would get better. And it did. About a month ago I had a CBC and my hemoglobin was at an 8.3, which isn't totally abnormal for me. But 3 weeks later (Friday 5.11.18) after being so short of breath and needing to sleep 14-16 hours a day, I went to the hospital to check my labs. It had plummeted to a 7 and I was given 2 units of blood over 6 hours, and it brought my hemoglobin up to a 9.7 and I was sent home.

I accessed the patient portal to get my lab results so I could follow up with my gastroenterologist, gynocologist and hemotologist, and noticed some very strange results that scared and confused me. Once I figured out what they were and meant, I began to think of other symptoms that I've ignored. Many of the labs pointed to something wrong with my pancreas, but nothing severe like pancreatitis that would've been treated in the hospital. After reading a little about Lipase and possible causes, I became concerned, especially with the elevated Glucose, gas and bloating, bleeding in the digestive tract from swollen obstructed veins and/or the esophagus, excessive thirst (which I just attributed to anemia), abnormal tear drop cells, which usually result from bone marrow disorders but also after spenectomy (but I imagine might also be affected by a tumor in the tail, which would affect the spleen and could destroy blood cells). The destruction of blood cells results in hemolytic anemia, which causes abnormal levels of Schistocytes (although mine are "occasional", whatever that means). I don't have that; I have microcytic anemia, e.g. iron deficiency (see results below). Finally, Polychromasia is usually related to damaged bone marrow, the most common cause: penetration by cancer cells.

Below is a copy of all my abnormal results, and the ones that led me to this board to ask for your thoughts are highlighted in red, because they made no sense to me:

• Hemoglobin: 7.2 (L) (before transfusion); 9.7 (after) (L)
• Hematocrit: 26.1 (before transfusion); 31.9 (after) (Normal)
• MCV: 67.6 (L)
• MCHC: 27.6 (L)
• MC HGB: 10.7 (L)
• RCD: 18.1 (H)
• Platelets: 531 (H)
• MPV: 8.9 (L)
• Eosinophil: 10.9 (H)
• Anisocytosis: 1+ (Abnormal)
• Microcytosis: 2+ (Abnormal)
• Hypochromia: 1+ (Abnormal)
Polychromasia: “SLIGHT” (Abnormal)
Ovalocytes: 1+ (Abnormal)
Tear Drop Cells: “SLIGHT” (Abnormal)
Schistocytes: “OCCASIONAL” (Abnormal)
Glucose: 109 (H)
• Creatinine: .5 (L)
• Bilirubin Direct: <.0.10 (L)
Lipase: 63 U/L (H) (Normal range 0-50)

So, if any of this makes sense to you, please share your opinion, thoughts and/or experiences with various lab results that may have led your doctor to investigate PC more thoroughly, or if you are familiar with any of these results (most of which seem slightly elevated so I would assume if anything, I would be in the early stages of "whatever" could be wrong), I would appreciate it very, very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply