It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• Liver lesion

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
    holly196831
    (female)

holly196831 HB User
    Liver lesion

Hello,
    For approx. 4 months, I have had severe right flank pain. Finally went to see the doctor and had an ultrasound and bloodwork. This was done in March. The ultrasound report revealed no kidney stones and nothing on liver.

HOwever a uterine cyst is present and I have gallstones which the doctor does not believe is contributing to the pain.
    Still experiencing pain, I went for a CT a in mid-April. Kidneys still show no stones, however, liver shows 2 lesions present. 1 is 3.9 cm and the other is 1.5 cm. CT indicates these lesions are indeterminant. Also suggests that prominent subcentimeter lymph nodes are seen.

Went for an ultrasound mid-May to correlate the CT finding of liver lesion with US. The technician said the lesion was not a cyst, so naturally I am a bit concerned. So now waiting for results on this US. I wouldn't be concerned if I wasn't experiencing the pain on the right side.

US in May results indicates that the lesion is still indeterminate and requires further investigation. Findings show "hypoechoic nodular focus within the caudate lobe, is favoured to be solid"

Anyone else have right flank pain associated with liver?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Liver lesion

I did have right flank pain...which I was told was attributed to a gallbladder which was full of sludge. Fast forward to the GB removal;
    when they got in there to remove it, it literally fell apart as it was completely shot- and the area where the gallbladder meets the liver was also in bad shape. They removed 1/8 of my liver as well.

Pain- gone.

Has anyone checked your gallbladder?

Old 06-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
    holly196831
    (female)

holly196831 HB User

Thank you for your reply. All the tests so far reveal that I have a gallstone although Dr. is adamant this is not causing the pain. I am waiting for an MRI appointment which hopefully will provide an answer.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Well, it certainly can cause the pain. I know from first hand experience.

If you are told it isn't GB again, do get a fresh opinion outside that medical group.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
    holly196831
    (female)

holly196831 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
    Well, it certainly can cause the pain. I know from first hand experience.

If you are told it isn't GB again, do get a fresh opinion outside that medical group.
    Thank you YaYa, I am actually hoping it is a gallbladder issue and not something more serious attributable to the liver lesions.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by holly196831 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. All the tests so far reveal that I have a gallstone although Dr. is adamant this is not causing the pain. I am waiting for an MRI appointment which hopefully will provide an answer.
    Please ask your doctor for HIDA scan. Gallstones are not the only reason to have pain or to have your gallbladder out! A HIDA scan is a quick and painless way to see if your GB is working properly or not. If it is not, (like mine wasnt) you will have pain!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
    holly196831
    (female)

holly196831 HB User

Hello, thought I would post an update, still experiencing the right side pain. Had an MRI with contrast yesterday for the 2 undetermined lesions found through CT and US. I am waiting for the official report, however, was told afterward that the lesions were solid and hypodense and was asked if I was seeing a hepatologist oncologist, so now I am googling the heck out of "hypodense solid lesion", does anyone have a similar experience? Is hypodense indicative of malignancy?

thank you

Old 09-20-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hypodense is a term used on films which means less dense than the surrounding tissue. It is not a term used to determine malignancy. Hypodense lesions can be cysts- just as easily as something else. Do not put the cart before the horse! A biopsy is probably in your future- but having recently had a kidney biopsy, I can tell you its over in a few minutes and not a big deal.

The waiting is the hardest part...but you have a very good possibility that this is nothing more than a cystic finding. Please let us know what you find out.

Prayers coming your way!

Old 09-24-2018, 04:42 AM   #9
    holly196831
    (female)

holly196831 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by holly196831 View Post
    Hello, thought I would post an update, still experiencing the right side pain. Had an MRI with contrast yesterday for the 2 undetermined lesions found through CT and US. I am waiting for the official report, however, was told afterward that the lesions were solid and hypodense and was asked if I was seeing a hepatologist oncologist, so now I am googling the heck out of "hypodense solid lesion", does anyone have a similar experience? Is hypodense indicative of malignancy?

thank you
    UPDATE
    MRI results show that the lesions appeared as T2 bright and are likely hemangiomas and the pancreas has homogenous inherent T1 signal (whatever that means), the report recommends a ferritin blood work up to rule out hemochromatosis. So, not sure if these hemangiomas are the cause of the constant right side pain but a repeat MRI and if there is growth a resection is likely.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
    bird33
    (male)

bird33 HB User

Hey There. I have been having RUQ pain that radiates to the back since late October. Now being January this is beginning to wear on me physically and mentally. Iíve had blood test, US, CT and was told all were normal. Yesterday at my GI appointment to schedule a colonoscopy the doctor gave me a copy of the report. Which said under the liver section....few tiny low-density liver lesions are not definitively characterized though very likely reflect cysts.

So I am a bit upset that 4 doctors failed to mention this to me after reviewing the results. I am going back to my GP to ask for further investigation into these findings which could be causing the pain. The GI doc also ordered a HIDA scan of my gallbladder. Good luck and let me know if you found any relief.

Reply Reply