It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• Pancreatic cancer worries

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
    longlac
    (male)

longlac HB User
    Pancreatic cancer worries

First, let me admit that I have health anxiety. In early 2017, I had abdominal pain for about 3 weeks before I decided to see a family doctor who prescribed an abdominal ultrasound and CA-19 along with comprehensive blood tests. Everything came back normal. The pain was still there and so I asked him for an MRI which also came back normal.

In Jan 2018, I was able to see the primary care doctor who cared for me for a while. He sent referred me to a GI. The GI did ERCP and only found salmon throat. He refused to give me the EUS. I asked the primary care doctor for the MRI MCRP which came back normal. By the end of Jan or early Feb 2018, I think the pain went away. My anxiety was still there. At the end of March 2018, the paper work went through and I had my EUS done at UCLA. The GI told me after the procedure that he could not take pictures but was able to see clearly and did not see anything abnormal. That EUS put me at ease for about 7 months.

In Oct 2018, I got the abdominal pain again and the anxiety came back. I saw another GI who gave me protonix and later another MRI. MRI was again normal. The pain as the anxiety went away in Dec.

In March 2019, the pain came back. The primary doctor ordered CA-19 and CEA blood test. CA-19 was normal but CEA was a little elevated, 3.4. He sent me back to the GI who gave me anther IBS prescription. The pain and the anxiety stuck with me for another 6 months. The GI then suggested me to have a colonoscopy (although I had a colonoscopy in 2016 already). The colonoscopy this time was also came back clean. The pain and the anxiety went away.

Fast forward to July 2022 when I started have pain on my back, where the heart is. I thought because I sleeping on a hard surface couch. So, I decided to sleep on a memory foam mattress.

Then my mother was admitted to the hospital for a stroke. While running tests on her, they found a mass on her pancreas. My family was all worried that she got pancreatic cancer. Two weeks ago, they did the EUS on her to take the biopsy of her pancreas. The result came back negative, just a cyst.

I then noticed that my back pain is still here. On top of that, I started having abdominal pain. So, of course, I am worried that I have pancreatic cancer. I try to think positive, reasoning that I went through abdominal pain before and all the tests back in (ultrasound, CA-19, MRI MCRP, EUS, colonoscopy) were negative. I also try to think that if the pain is right where the heart is (but on the back), then it's too high for pancreatic cancer.

However, the new back pain is really worrying me. To make it worse, I only feel the pain at night. I don't feel it when I lay on my back. It seems to worsen when I lay on my right side. It seems to be worst when I turn in bed.

I have a yearly check up with my doctor but I am not sure what to do. I don't want to get a chest x-ray (due to radiation). I don't think the doctor will order another MRI MCRP because I had one in 2018 along with the EUS.

Sorry for a long message and thank you for reading. If you have any advice, please do not hesitate to provide. I guess I have a few questions:

1. For pancreatic cancer, does the backpain happen on the lower back or upperback?

2. If the pain is on the left, right back the heart, is it too high for pan can?

3. If the abdominal pain is sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right, could that be IBS instead of pan can?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply