It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• end stage pancreatic cancer what to expect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #16
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
    Re: end stage pancreatic cancer what to expect

Judy, one of the best things I ever did was to take a few pictures of my girlfriend and me before she really went downhill. She had no hair, her color was terrible etc, but it was a good day for her, little pain, still joking. I cherish those pictures and she was a good sport about me taking them. She knew I would spend many days and nights remembering when...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #17
    ma thel
    (female)

ma thel HB User

K:
    you sound like your situation is very similar to me with my mom. Do you have any time line? Hospice will not speculate. Also do you have any more info?
    Thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Hospice was the same with us. I live in CA and my Dad lived in AZ, I flew to AS every wk to be with him--my brother moved from CA to live w him as he lived alone. I never knew if it was "ok" for me to leave as I thought so many times the end was near. In fact, I was afraid to go to the east coast for a wedding July 4 wkend as I thought he could pass that wkend, he passed Aug 16th.

I do have a lot of info, but what specifics would you like?

How often is your mom sleeping and eating at this point. When my dad was "good" he would eat about 5 bites of cereal, couple pieces of grapefruit, lunch half a sandwhich or small soup, dinner small soup or part of a piece of lasagna--was always up for dessert. Food tasted odd to him (it did before his dx too) and he was afraid to eat as everytime he did he had to run to the bathroom which he could not stand as he was so weak and the BM would make him weaker. Towards his last week he would have maybe two bites of ice cream and a piece of grapefruit all day. His last two days he ate nothing though 2 nights before he passed late at night he asked for some grapefruit as he said if he did not eat he would die--but he could not really eat the piece. He also go very weak, and could not even hold a spoon.

Hospice did inform me that when one with this disease passed they throw up a ton of bile right before. My dad was hiccuping in his sleep bile the night before he passed and the morning prior he started to throw up bile (which throwing up was his fear). I was with him holding his hand the morning he passed, I left to go get some rest at my sisters down the street. I knew it had to be very near as his breathing was very labored and extremeties cold and blue, but I was not sure as I had thought that SO many times. He left us 10 minutes after I left. The hospice nurse did say there was bile on his pillow, so I guess it was good I was not there at that very moment. The night before was a nightmare for us as my dad was making loud groans -I did not know if it was pain or what as he could not communicate really at that point, though his eyes were open. Apparently this too happens with some end stage patients (regardless of illness).

Have you gotten any books on death and preparing for it etc?

Do you live nearby?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #19
    ma thel
    (female)

ma thel HB User

Hi K:
    Thanks for the info. Your dad seems exactly like my mom. She is eating 3 tiny meals daily....either a soup, pudding or something similar. She is very afraid of the throwing up as she knows from the first 2 stents that this is the start of the end run plus it totally knocks her out and puts her in bed. She is sleeping part of the night and taking a nap daily. Everytime she has a BM she is exhausted and needs to rest. She is very shakey after a BM. She is getting the back pain every day again and the med's put her out so she is trying to subsist on Tylenol which doesn't really work that well. She has gotten to the point of not dressing anymore as she feels the elastic band hurts the stomach. She likes to be in either a bed or recliner to stretch out the stomach, seems to help when she is hurting. She is really fighting this thing, but knows it is a loosing battle and seems to have accepted it without giving up. It is really worse for us, the family members. I am just trying to get a grip on time if possible. She was dx March 1, 09 and had 2 plastic stents which lasted 1 week, and 3 1/2 weeks until the final metal mesh stent was put in on 4/13/09. All in all she is doing pretty well I think but it is scary as every noise she makes I jump up thinking she is going to start having an eposode. However the bottome line is that everything you have written about your dad is what seems to be happening except for the very end. I appreciate you help and thoughts. Nope, not close, we are in Fl.... thanks again and any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #20
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Wow, yes, your moms story is very familiar. My dad too would be exhausted after a BM and his biggest complaint was the shaking. He would shower about once per wk. Thank God my brother was there as he often had to help him to the toilet, in the shower, etc... My Dad lived alone prior. My dad too would make noises and it was scare me.

Sounds like your mom has some time. My Dad had mets all over the liver and to the bones. Amazing that he was not dx till the very end. Thankfully not too much pain. He was on percecet which helped. Has hospice been aware her meds are not working? That is what they are there for.....

Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #21
    ma thel
    (female)

ma thel HB User

Hi: Thanks for answering. This is a dificult time for me as it was for you also.
    Thankfully she does not seem to need any stronger meds yet...the hydrocod / lortab seems to be strong enough but she does not like taking it as it puts her to sleep for 4 hours or so. Thankfully this week she seems to be eating pretty good (not a lot) such as breakfast was rice pudding and a graham cracker and lunch was 1/2 c soup and a yogert...however now she only wants a 1/2 c rice pudding for dinner and she is now sleeping again but she was awake all day. She thinks I am giving her something for the BM which I am not (a little benefiber only...maybe 1/2 t. in am) because she always feels that she has to make even if she does not.
    In any case, thanks for letting me vent to someone who has been there....information is dificult to come by in finding out what to expect and what stage she is in etc. Hospice is being great but they don't seem to have too much info for me as far as what to expect goes. Right now it is just...do you need some meds or anything else. Thankfully she is still doing really good as far as they are concerned. I am just afraid that the cancer will close up this duct again...I am guessing in 10-12 weeks as the metal stent is 4 times larger than the plastic stent and the 2nd one of those did last 3 1/2 weeks. At least I know we can have a nice last Mothers Day with her as a lot of family has been gathering around at various times and that seems to keep her perky. Thanks again and I will stay posted with you as I need more support and advice. God bless

Old 05-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #22
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

My dad had that all the time, thinking he needed a BM and it was only gas......Sounds very similiar.

I am not sure if you are aware, but PC is hereditary so I suggest you get screened. In fact, I now have inflammation of my pancreas and elevated tumor marker. I have had scans which show me as clear, but need to undergo more testing.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
    ma thel
    (female)

ma thel HB User

Hi:
    Thanks for the advice....did not know that. Will get a screening soon. Wonder if a ct scan would cover that? Today we had to take 2 of the pain pills so far. I am thinking this is not a good sign. Have a good weekend.
    Thanks

Old 05-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #24
    weedmnreap
    (female)

weedmnreap HB User

Hello all. I also didn't know that PC is hereditary. I'll be asking my doctor about testing next visit.

I'm on my way this morning to Maine (I live in Mass). I'll now be living up there until my Dad passes. He is weak, eating less, more jaundiced.

I have found the book "final gifts" to be a good read preparing for the end. I've heard that Hospice has a booklet in the folder they've left that also explains things. I'll read that when I get there. A friend copied pages from The Caregivers Manual, I think they were chapters toward the end of the book, that were also helpful.

Take care everyone, and God Bless. I do not have internet connection in Maine at this time, so won't be able to check in.

~Judy

Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #25
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Hi, I think the general rule of thumb is to be screened 10 years before the age of the relative diagnosed. Smoking, high fat and red meat comsumption are also contributers.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #26
    LUPPIE
    (female)

LUPPIE HB User

Hi could you help me with a few questions, we just found out that my mother has pancreatic cancer she had a stent put in a week ago but her color is still real dark seems to be getting darker is in no pain and eats very little do you think she is in stage 3 and how long would you say she has. Thanks
    luppie

Old 05-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #27
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

The dr should be able to tell you what stage. Time depends on if and where it has spread ... For ex my dad was stage 4 with mets to liver and bones he passed 4 months later.... I have met other stage 4 who alive 1 yr post ex

what does the dr say

Old 05-31-2009, 07:52 AM   #28
    vbeiter
    (female)

vbeiter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LUPPIE View Post
    Hi could you help me with a few questions, we just found out that my mother has pancreatic cancer she had a stent put in a week ago but her color is still real dark seems to be getting darker is in no pain and eats very little do you think she is in stage 3 and how long would you say she has. Thanks
    luppie
    Hi Luppie,
    My father had a stint put in on October 14th. I do think it took a while before his color came back. We never new what stage he was in. All they told us was that it was advanced. We never asked after that what stage, but we did wonder. My father passed away 2 weeks ago on May 17th. My only advise is to take one day at a time and enjoy if you can each
    day. Hang in there!
    VBeiter

Old 05-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #29
    LUPPIE
    (female)

LUPPIE HB User

Thank you we were thinking that we only had a couple of weeks with her but it sounds that we will be able to send more time then we thought i spend every waken moment with her thanks again

Old 05-31-2009, 08:26 AM   #30
    LUPPIE
    (female)

LUPPIE HB User

We asked the doc and all he told us is that it is very advanced and didn't recamend any kind of treaments and is not even sending her to a oncologist just to see her familey doc. So we are doing that on monday maybe we can get more info at that time. Thanks

Closed Thread