It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• end stage pancreatic cancer what to expect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #31
    ma thel
    (female)

ma thel HB User
    Re: end stage pancreatic cancer what to expect

Hello:
    Your best bet is to look back on all the posts made by K.........my mom has pretty much the same thing she went thru with her dad and she was MOST helpful to me.No One except the DR can tell you the stage but generally the stent should have made the color better.
    K...if you read this, my mom is doing well as can be expected but deteriorating more and more each day. every now and then we get a REALLY bad day but basically pretty good days all things considered. I have had conversations with people from American Cancer Society who have been most helpful and they are very sure that my mom's cancer has spread to the liver and that is why the problems with the stinky bowel movements and the discolored BM's. It also seems to have spread to the lungs and that is why the "out of breathlessness" when doing even the finest things as well as after the BM's....that also puts her out for a nap after a BM plus which they are totally uncontrollable. From all that ACS has said as well as yours and other posts I feel I will be lucky to have another 2 months tops. K, you have been so helpful and thanks again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #32
    ma thel
    (female)

ma thel HB User

Lupie..Unfortunately this is a very agressive cancer.......any one, not only the pancreatic, but also, liver and bile duct and they are all conected together. I would think you probably have a couple of months at most. My mom was DX on March 1, 2009 and has made it this far but I do foresee only another 2 months max,,,,,,,,,,,God willing (if the pain is absent) it will be longer.
    Good luck

Old 05-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #33
    ma thel
    (female)

ma thel HB User

Lupie: Also contact HOSPICE..........they can be of enormous help to both you and your loved one.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #34
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

I do recommend asking if it has spread to other organs, that will give you a better idea in terms of time etc...

Also, did the dr recommend hospice?

Does she still have some energy, still eating etc?

By the time my dad was dx'd he could hardly even walk...

Old 05-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #35
    LUPPIE
    (female)

LUPPIE HB User

Yes she still eating a little bit only about 5 or 6 bits at meal time and her energy is getting low she is tired alot and lays down in the afternoon wich she never did

Old 05-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #36
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Lupie, my friend's mom never knew what stage she was as she refused to have a biopsy or further testing after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She had been in and out of the hospital with back pain and pneumonia but the drs weren't looking for cancer, just wanted to operate on her back. The last time when she went in for her pain, the cancer was diagnosed. She went home. She wasn't in alot of pain. She ate smaller and smaller meals until she wasn't wanting to eat. She passed two months after her diagnosis.
    My best friend was stage 4 when diagnosed. She did the chemo and it bought her some time. We knew the end was coming when she started sleeping most of the time, didn't talk except one liners, had no interest in food or water and her skin became very dark. She had a different look in her eye. When she reached that point it was just a few days.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #37
    ma thel
    (female)

ma thel HB User

Hi K:
    This seems to be a new one.....did your dad complain about his vision and also about burning up but not having a fever? Also the bad days seem to be when the blood pressure is low in the am.........like under 145 top numer. Thoughts, thanks

Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #38
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Hi K hasn't answered yet, but 145 is not low, actually that is high. Low would be for example 90/60
    My girlfriend had some problems with vision. It could have been the meds. She didn't complain of burning

Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #39
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Hi there, no my dad did not complain about this. His main complaints were weakness, and bowel movements....

Old 06-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #40
    LUPPIE
    (female)

LUPPIE HB User

Well just found out that the cancer is also on her liver. She is sick to stomach alot now and does nap alot but still gets out side with me and helps with flowers. So we are making the most out of every day.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #41
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Sorry to hear this. Did the drs give you an estimated time? I know how hard this is...

That is good she can still get outside--my father could hardly get off the couch at time of dx.

I would recommend having her drink ensure, if she is sick to her stomach at least this way she will get her vitamins etc...

Old 06-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #42
    LUPPIE
    (female)

LUPPIE HB User

Yes I do have her drinking ensure when ever she wants something to drink I give it to her.She is starting to turn yellow again the doc wants to put a bigger stint in so we will probley do that ASAP. No the doc won't give a time. Thanks for all your help. Luppie

Last edited by LUPPIE; 06-06-2009 at 05:36 AM.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #43
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The stent certainly helped my best friend. Her skin color, her thinking clarity and her energy improved.
    When she reached the point that she didn't want Ensure anymore, we gave her watermelon just to get some kind of liquid in her as her body started to shut down.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:42 AM   #44
    jorgepalomino
    (male)

jorgepalomino HB User

my mom has the illness (pancreas cancer), im from mexico, i would like to know what is going to hapend to her, shes still fine, shes not taking qimiotherapy, how is the process when a person is ton taking the therapy i would like to know .

Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #45
    LUPPIE
    (female)

LUPPIE HB User

When your friend started to shut down did she get hives and itch real bad ? My mom's arms are covered with hives and they itch all the time we have cream on the all the time. We meet with hospice tonight.

Closed Thread