It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• end stage pancreatic cancer what to expect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #76
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
    Re: end stage pancreatic cancer what to expect

Hi Luppie, sorry your mom is going through this. Sometimes the causes of hallucinations may be the build-up of bile, medication or the cancer spreading to the brain.
    My friend didn't throw up but my other girlfriend's mom did the last few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #77
    donnamae
    (female)

donnamae HB User

Hi All, You are right about the not eating being the end. It was for our father in law he quit eating and about 7 days later he passed away on July 27..... so sad. We bured him last thursday. he did have a nice military funeral. We miss him so much already. Good luck to you all and may your loved ones pass quickly and quitely. My father in law did end up passing in his sleep and ma found him at 5 am in the morning. God Bless you all!!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #78
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Donnamae, I am sorry about your FIL. Now he is at peace and pain-free. It is a horrible disease.
    You'll always miss him but somehow you'll get through it. I never thought I would be able to deal with my sister being gone and then losing my best friend to pancreatic cancer, but I keep them alive in my memories on a daily basis and it gets easier. lots of hugs to you in your loss. I am so sorry. Melanie

Old 08-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #79
    donnamae
    (female)

donnamae HB User

Hi Melanie, Thank you so much! And yes we are very happy that he is in no more pain and it really helps knowing that he loved the Lord and it gives us peace to believe he is in heaven. It is a horrible disease and I wish that no one had to go through that. Best Wishes to everyone that is dealing with this and God Bless you all!! Donna

Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #80
    beth5kids
    (female)

beth5kids HB User

My 71 year old mom was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer May of this year! It was such a shock because she has been healthy her entire life. We tried 2 rounds of chemo, but she hated it because it left her with no energy and she lost weight while on the treatment. Since she stopped she is feeling much better and holding her weight at 101#. I think her pain is pretty minimal, since she is only taking 1 and 1/2 pain pills per day. I am frustrated because I cant get the doctors to tell me what to expect. You always hear that they die from complication assoc. with the pancreatic cancer, not the cancer itself. Well what are some of those complication. Would love to be able to communicate with others who are going through this.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #81
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

So sorry to hear this. What symptoms brought her to the dr and by what means (CT scan, eus, etc) was she diagnosed?

My father as you probabley read passed about a year ago (tcannot believe a yr has gone by). I was told it is highly hereditary and started to get my blood tested. Oddly enough in Feb I started to have pains...my lipase (pancreas) was elevated from inflammation and ca 19 tumor marker elevated slightly and 20 points higer from the last time I had it when I got a routine test. I have had a CT, MRI and EUS-all thankfully clear. Having another EUS soon for a comparision study. I have been aggressive as I have read it is easy to miss and of course the hereditary factor.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #82
    donnamae
    (female)

donnamae HB User

Beth sorry to hear of your moms diagnosis. It is a shock. We went through the same thing when we found out my FIL had it and he was healthy all his life too! That is scarey with that being hereditary. That means my husband could get it. I understand that you can get it at any age. What helped me Beth is reading all of these posts by everyone on here. My father in law was diagnosed in Mid May and passed in 2 1/2 months but he did not had treatments at all. He was 83. The only complications he had was the blockage in his bowel ducks and had to have an operation to place a tube in his side to keep the bile draining out. He had that because the stint they tried to put in there failed because of all the swelling and his gullbladder was so backed up that it could have burst if he didn't have this proceedure done. Good luck to you and your mom....God Bless Her. The best medicine is prayer, that is what got us through this horrible ordeal.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #83
    donnamae
    (female)

donnamae HB User

Oh the other complication is that they get really sick to their stomach and cannot eat. That is what happened with my FIL. He was doing really well for a good while...able to shop with his wife, go to the fairs, do house work, etc. But all of a sudden his eating slowed down dramatically and then in a blink of an eye stopped eating completely. He could only drink water in the end. The non-eating I believe killed him. I hope I have helped you Beth.

Last edited by donnamae; 08-12-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #84
    beth5kids
    (female)

beth5kids HB User

Thanks so much for your replies. It is so comforting to know that others have gone through this and can share their wisdom with me. Mom began losing weight and having abdominal pain. She thought it was just a stomach bug. When she began missing a lot of family get togethers because she was not feeling well, I insisted she see a doctor. Before her visit though, her urine turned very orange and bowel were clay colored. They scheduled her for a CAT scan immediately and discovered a pancreatic mass blocking the bile duct and a couple of masses in the liver. They could not get a good biopsy of the pancreas and the liver biopsy was questionable to where her primary source was. After another CAT scan they said that because the cancer was not found anywhere else, the primary spot must be the pancreas. She has done so much better now that she stopped Chemo. How much pain did your love one's experience and did it occur right away or as the cancer progressed? Thanks for your support

Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #85
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Thankfully my father was not in a lot of pain, he only took percacet too aside from his final days. His biggest complaint was having to go to the bathroom alot and the weakness--he could hardly even write and got breathless walking 20 ft--that was the worst for him

I am so sorry you are going through this. What has the dr informed you at this point?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #86
    LUPPIE
    (female)

LUPPIE HB User

Yes my mother has slowed right down on her eating she eats a couple of bits at a time but is so weak that she has problems sitting up by herself and I think the not eating is what is killing her too. She was doing alright but the last couple of days she has gone down hill, she was diagnosed in May 09. the only pain she has is in her back they put her on Morphine for the pain, we have hospice that comes in twice a week to help us.

Last edited by LUPPIE; 08-18-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #87
    beth5kids
    (female)

beth5kids HB User

Luppie,
    My Mom also was diagnosed in May. She seemed to be doing pretty good here recently, but I talked to her yesterday and she said she has been getting nauseated often. She is not taking any other meds so I wonder what the nausea could be from. We see the doctor today for bloodwork and her monthly check. When did you start looking into Hospice? Mom told me she does not feel she is ready for it yet. Take care and I will keep you and your mom in my prayers.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #88
    Karen4Mom
    (female)

Karen4Mom HB User

Hi everyone. I just joined here. My Mom has stage 4 pancreatic cancer which was diagnosed in May and things have rapidly gone downhill. Unfortunately she also had a large bowel obstruction early on and has a colostomy. We do have hospice and she would have alot of pain except she gets alot of pain meds which of course make her drowsy when she needs the breakthrough meds. She had occasional hallucinations and is bedbound, does get confused so someone always has to be in the room with her. She eats small bites and that is it. It is a terrible cancer cause she just dwindles away and being so weak couldn't really get out anymore. She did have the biliary stents put in and one in the stomach. Lately her breathing has been slowing down off and on. She has nausea but never threw up. The hospice doctor said sometimes the brain can swell and cause hallucinations or there could be brain mets at this point. It' been helpful reading everyone's posts and I am thinking of you and your loved ones. I have her at my home and we all take turns taking care of her with some hired help so we get some sleep at night. I hate to see her get these occasional waves of pain.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #89
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Beth and Karen, I am sorry you are going through this with your loved ones. It is a disgusting disease. I got to the point that I wished my best friend would pass and find dignity, peace and freedom from pain. Her breathing slowed down the last day and she quietly passed about 5 hours later. She didn't eat for the last few days. She asked for hospice just 3 days before.
    We know the cancer had spread into the adrenal glands and stomach and of course was already in the liver. We don't know if it was the toxins from the build up of bile or the cancer spreading into the brain but there were times she was different.
    If you have any questions or things you want to say, don't hesitate. You don't want the regrets of not being able to say what is in your mind. I am so thankful, I was able to say goodby and tell my friend how much I adored our friendship and to go ride her horses through the meadow free at last. hugs, Mel

Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #90
    donnamae
    (female)

donnamae HB User

What everyone is posting is so correct on how my father in law progressed with this awful cancer. As far as the nausea goes we think it is from the bowel toxins in the stomach cos he threw up really bad a couple weeks before he passed away. Good luck to everyone!

Closed Thread