It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• end stage pancreatic cancer what to expect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #91
    beth5kids
    (female)

beth5kids HB User
    Re: end stage pancreatic cancer what to expect

Well, mom and I went to the doctor yesterday. I still dont have the results of the blood test. She is definitely having more pain so the doctor prescribed a pain patch for her. He also thinks that maybe the oral pain meds may be contributing to her nausea. I am afraid that this pain patch may knock her out and I dont think she is at that point yet. She said she would give it a try and see what happens. The most frustrating thing for me right now is finding things that she will eat. She is currently at 99#. Your right this is a terrible disease!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #92
    LUPPIE
    (female)

LUPPIE HB User

beth5kids
    We also had a hard time finding things my mother would eat but we made her ensure shakes that she would drink anytime of the day that seemed to taste good to her, she is down in bed now and doesn't eat anything we got hospice right away well her doctor did they started just coming once a week but are now coming three days a week and another nurse coming three days a week to bath her.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #93
    donnamae
    (female)

donnamae HB User

Hospice is wonderful and it is better to get them as soon as you feel that you need them. Especially for the pain management. Dad didn't want us to bring them in but we did the last 2 days of his life cos he was rolling out of bed and falling. So they made him more calm by giving him morphine and some other calming medications.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #94
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

If your mom is hardly eating then I would think the pain meds would make her nauseous. My girlfriend had the pain patch, I think it was fentanyl. Her daughter-in-law being a nurse monitered it and cut back on the dosage as it was making her dizzy, and mentally off. The smaller dose was fine.
    She got to the point of not wanting Ensure anymore so the only thing we were able to get her to eat was watermelon and drink water. Food made her hurt. Gosh, it makes me so sad thinking about it.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 AM   #95
    Karen4Mom
    (female)

Karen4Mom HB User

Thank you Mel for your kind reply. And as read through everyone elses story here - your situations brought tears to my eyes. My Mom had survived several cancers up until now. She survived melanoma, ovarian and uterine cancer, colon cancer (from the melanoma). She was very active and independent and having the bowel obstruction dashed all possibilities of any activity since the end of May - like life came to a screeching halt.

This whole experience has certainly brought home to me the importance of family and what is important in life.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #96
    donnamae
    (female)

donnamae HB User

Wow your mom has been through alot!! That is awful to hear! My heart goes out to you and your mom. My mom is a survivor of uterine and breast cancer when she was in her 50's.... she's 69 now. How old is your mom?

Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #97
    Karen4Mom
    (female)

Karen4Mom HB User

That was really nice donnamae- thanks. My Mom is 81.

I have a couple of tips to share. Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with 2% or whole milk is equilvalent to Ensure and much cheaper. That was a tip I learned when I worked at a cancer hospital.

As far as pain control Methadone is less sedating than other pain meds. My Mom hasn't decided to change meds yet even though she is very frustrated by being so sedated. Our hospice is comfortable with Methadone but I think others aren't. the other procedure I read about with pancreatic cancer (and is listed on the John Hopkins website) is a celiac nerve block which deadens pain for 3-4 months. I threw out that idea to our hospice nurse today. I don't want my Mom in pain and yet I don't like to see her so doped up - and neither does she so that is a conversation in process.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #98
    beth5kids
    (female)

beth5kids HB User

Great tips Karen! My mom has been increasingly nauseated and vomited this morning. I was able to get the doctor to call her in some phenergan supp. and she is sleeping now. She has kept some gatoraid down, but only feels good if she is laying down. I guess the nausea is just part of the progression of this cancer. We can not find any other reason for her to be feeling this way. I will talk to her tonight about staying with me at my house till her sister can come stay with her. She is all alone and lives about 15 minutes away from me. She has lost so much weight. She only weighs 99#. Hopefully she will consent to come home with me, I have five school age kids and it would be easier for me to care for her and my family from my home. She does not feel like she is ready for Hospice yet. At what point do you get Hospice involved? Thanks for listen to me. Sometimes it just feels good to be able to share with others in similar situations.

Last edited by beth5kids; 08-26-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:42 AM   #99
    Karen4Mom
    (female)

Karen4Mom HB User

I think it might be good for your Mom to just interview some hospices and then she can make a decision when she is ready. Hospice is a 100% covered benefit so all of the meds are free. And what I like is that they are very responsive with comfort care and extra prescriptions as needed.

But when hospice is involved they won't do any more tests or anything so I am curious if her doctor did all necessary tests to see how her stomach is emptying. In my Mom's case she had some emptying issues and they ended up putting in a doudenal stent (a tube between her stomach and small intestine) so the food would pass through. Also her stomach has trouble emptying anyway so various things were prescribed to help her digestion out. I would recommend that all of those kinds of things be investigated before hospice is signed up with.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #100
    LUPPIE
    (female)

LUPPIE HB User

We have Hospice for my mom her doctor sent them out for us and they came once a week at the begin then twice a week we are at the end of her cancer and had to put her into a hospice home and they are great too.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #101
    melissapayton
    (female)

melissapayton HB User

hi my mother was told her had cancer in late january 09....it was in her pancreas,liver,boil buct,and the linning of her stomach....it has now spread a lump on both sides of her back and one under her breast and a couple on her back...she has been in the hospital now almost two months....she hasnt eatn anything in almost two weeks...she hardly has any thing to drink....she gets her liquid thro iv....she throws up at least twice a day....she dont get out of her bed only to go to the bathroom...then she needs help to get there...her pee is now a brown color and has a bad oder....she sleeps all the time..hardly talks any more...and some days she is very confuzd... she has been taking morfine fore a while now..but they keeps upn it.. now she takes 10ml thro needle every four to six hours...bc she use to throw up and the pills wont be in her body long enough to work bfore she would throw it up....it would be nice to talk to some one that is or have went throw the same thing....thanks melissa

Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #102
    Karen4Mom
    (female)

Karen4Mom HB User

Hi Melissa,

Right now my Mom (who has end stage pancreatic cancer in hospice) is on liquid narcotics cause she wasn't digesting the pills and experienced terrible pain. At this point her voice is very weak, hard to understand, and her urine is dark with minimal output. She does take some water but that is about it. She sleeps also all the time and is so weak. She has terrible mouth sores but they are healing. I think we are both a similiar situation right now.

My Mom was diagnosed 5 months ago with stage IV and I am amazed she is still here. She has barely eaten these months and is pretty much looking like a skeleton but her spirit must be strong to have lasted this long at age 81. We have her in my home with hospice. Is your Mom in hospice?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #103
    dazzreds
    (female)

dazzreds HB User

Wow what a great help all your messagesare. I am the caregiver of my husband who is 66 we have been married 49 years in Dec. he was dx with pc and liver ca in Aug. has been through one round of chemo, going back to dr. tomorrow to see if his tumor markers have come down from 14000. But reading about forgetfullness(on the first page) is very important to me, just in the last few days my husband has begun to forget simple things, now I have an answer to that. Thank you for that bit of information. Will continue to come to these boards to help me cope and hopefully get answers to any questions I have. I am a newbie to this site but do love it.

Last edited by dazzreds; 10-04-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #104
    Jalishelly
    (female)

Jalishelly HB User

My brother in law is 49 and has been sick for at least a year. In July the diagnosis was pancreatic cancer. Within 1 month, they said there was no hope. He's been in and out of the hospital 8-9 times since January 09. Finally, a month ago, they sent him home to die and reccommended hospice. On Friday, he was watching a video and as soon as it finished, it was like a curtain went down, and he went comatose. His breathing came every 20-30 seconds. We ordered in a hospital bed and put it in the front room so family could come and say goodbye. He continued to deteriorate on Saturday and Sunday, and on Monday his skin became mottled and his respirations were only 2 per minute. But being so young, his heart is still strong. The nurse could not get a blood pressure after the last reading which was 50 over 28. No measurable blood pressure for the last 18 hours. His heart is making up for the lack of blood pressure by beating at a rate of130. It is pounding in his chest HARD. There are no bowel sounds since Friday, and fluid has begun to fill his lungs. We hear a rattling when he breaths and he gets atropine every 2 hours. The nurse is giving him 10 mg of morphine every hour, and adavan every 4 hours for comfort. It's Tuesday morning, and we are still watching and waiting for him to let us go.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #105
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

So sorry, I know how you feel. My fathers last days involved vomitting bile, and his last day the labored breathing, and last hrs cold extremeities. It sounds like he may pass very very soon. Though I did not want to lose my dad, I also wanted him in a better place. Also, the hospice team warned us that those with this disease often vomit a lot of bile seconds before passing--I wanted to share that with you so that you are not alarmed should this happen

You are in my thoughts and prayers, I know what a beast this disease is.

Closed Thread