It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• end stage pancreatic cancer what to expect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #106
    jussia
    (female)

jussia HB User
    Re: end stage pancreatic cancer what to expect

I happened upon this website a few days ago. In between working, thinking of my Dad, I would come onto this site and read some entries. Usually feeling a little better that what I am going through is not so abnormal. My father is 62 and has been diagnosed with locally advanced PC in April. I have taken off a lot of work to take him back and forth to doctors, procedures, etc. Until my husband suggested that we, including my 7 year old move back into my childhood home to take care of him. I read numerous books, website information and harrassed doctors for more information. But nothing prepares you to watch your parent die. I lost my Mom when I was 16 and we are all my Dad has left. I read all of your messages with a open heart and feel for each and every one of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #107
    jussia
    (female)

jussia HB User

I do have a question to throw out there. My Dad has maintained his appetite, however I do see many similar signs mentioned. Disorientation, hiccups, moments of agitation, darkening skin, lethargy. But everything I read says he is "dying" when he stops eating. Is that true with everyone's experience?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #108
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

It is an awful thing to go through, I too lost my mother when I was 9 so my Father was really the only parent I knew-it was devasting.

My dad passed 2 1/2 months after dx, he lived in AZ by himself and I lived in CA. My brother moved to AZ to move in with him and I flew out every wk for 4-5 days each. I often had wondered when was he going to pass, as I wanted to be sure I was there. In our experience my Dad did stop eating before passing. Of course his appetite dwindled but his last 3 days was nothing, not even water. He knew he was dying, he even told us he had to eat or he would die, he could not hold the spoon it dropped as he was so weak and he got so upset, it was very hard. My dad had the hiccups all throughout his illness, it was non stop the night before he died, we had to call hospice to get meds for it. In our experience our dad slept 23 hrs a day, did not eat, and when he was "alert" he was very very out of it. His last day he had labored breathing, cold extremeties......

I feel for anyone going through this monster

Old 10-21-2009, 06:16 AM   #109
    jussia
    (female)

jussia HB User

It is just so stressful to not know what is happening on a daily basis. Most days my Dad is up and about, definitely not how he used to be. But he is not in bed and does not have any pain. He is tired and moody, but not experiencing some of the horrors I have been reading. From being diagnosed at stage 3 in April, I feared we would have be at the end as of now. So, emotionally, I don't know what to think...

Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #110
    Karen4Mom
    (female)

Karen4Mom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jalishelly View Post
    My brother in law is 49 and has been sick for at least a year. In July the diagnosis was pancreatic cancer. Within 1 month, they said there was no hope. He's been in and out of the hospital 8-9 times since January 09. Finally, a month ago, they sent him home to die and reccommended hospice. On Friday, he was watching a video and as soon as it finished, it was like a curtain went down, and he went comatose. His breathing came every 20-30 seconds. We ordered in a hospital bed and put it in the front room so family could come and say goodbye. He continued to deteriorate on Saturday and Sunday, and on Monday his skin became mottled and his respirations were only 2 per minute. But being so young, his heart is still strong. The nurse could not get a blood pressure after the last reading which was 50 over 28. No measurable blood pressure for the last 18 hours. His heart is making up for the lack of blood pressure by beating at a rate of130. It is pounding in his chest HARD. There are no bowel sounds since Friday, and fluid has begun to fill his lungs. We hear a rattling when he breaths and he gets atropine every 2 hours. The nurse is giving him 10 mg of morphine every hour, and adavan every 4 hours for comfort. It's Tuesday morning, and we are still watching and waiting for him to let us go.
    God bless you during this time. My Mom died on 9/24 and it took a couple of days when she was rather comatose. It helps to drip a bit of water in the mouth just for comfort purposes so it doesn't get too dry. We all held her hand when she died so as much as you can be there will be special for both you and your loved one. I'm glad hospice is keeping him very comfortable. I am sure this was a shock as he is very young and I'm sorry all of this happened.

Karen4Mom

Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #111
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

If your father is still up and about he may have a bit of time left, though of course different for everyone. My father was literally in bed 18 hrs per day 10 days prior to passing, a few days before he was sleeping non stop though he did wake up 2 days before he passed for about 20 min and said some things to make us laugh, then he went into his coma.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #112
    jussia
    (female)

jussia HB User

I am at work from 7 to 5, so I assume he rests for the majority of the day. At night when we are there, he is in the recliner where he stays the entire night. He gets up for dinner and to take out the dog before he goes to sleep. His mood is so different and so hard for us to understand what's next. We do have hospice in once a week, but because he has an appetite and his pulse is good, she is not concerned yet. Just not sure how quickly this could all turn around.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #113
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

It is very different for everyone, but in our exp my dad could not even walk more than 12 steps about 1 1/2 months before he passed....He ate maybe half a bowl of cereal and a partial grapefruit, maybe some ice cream a month before passing.

I think everyone w this disease has a personality change. My dad was VERY funny and vibrant, he was more and more moody and out of it as time went on, was told it was the amonia levels?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #114
    jussia
    (female)

jussia HB User

I compare my Dad to the Bounty Man. 6'3, 220 lbs and a brick. I am thinking that because he such a tank, he is able to fight a little better. Or that is just me being a wishful thinker. I cannot even imagine him being incapacitated and not able to walk or go to the bathroom on his own. Ugh

Old 10-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #115
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Thankfully my brother moved from CA to live with him so he was able to help my father to the bathroom and shower etc.....He was only able to shower once a wk at best, he was VERY week, he would get exhausted trying to sign his name. He use to be 185 pds and prob was about 130 at the time of his passing

Old 10-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #116
    Karen4Mom
    (female)

Karen4Mom HB User

Two days before my Mom died she announced that she was dying. It was the last time she was conscious so she said something to everyone. After that she wouldn't even sip water so we just kept her comfortable. She died peacefully and when the time came we held her hands.

She looked like a skeleton almost. At the viewing the funeral made her look beautiful and we surrounded her with roses. I feel like it was such a blessing to be able to take care of her. It was difficult and this is such a nasty cnacer.

Karen4Mom

Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #117
    catbcker
    (female)

catbcker HB User

My mom was given three months to live in July 2009, and she is still with me. For a while hospice could not handle the nausea and vomiting it was so bad, pain patches and nausea patches have seemed to do the job. She was so weak I would put her in a wheel chair to go to and from bathroom, and no eating for two weeks now. Today she wanted to walk with just my arm to the restroom and asked for and ate a small piece of meat for dinner. Ankels are swollen and hands and feet very cold, but she feels she is getting stronger and going to beat it (she is 83) I am assuming the end is very near.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #118
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I am sorry about your mom going through this. I am at a loss for words. My mom is 84 and I would hate for her to have to go through this horrible disease. My heart goes out to both of you

Closed Thread