It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• End Stage Liver Cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
    roosterja
    (male)

roosterja HB User
    End Stage Liver Cancer

My father was diagnosed with inoperable liver cancer in September 2008. He began taking chemo in October but quickly began to lose weight and energy. The doctor took him off the chemo pills for 3 weeks for him to stop the weight loss and gain his strength back. After the 3 weeks the doctor did another scan and the tumor had grown. We decided at that point to do a chemo embolization. They attempted to do the procedure yesterday but was unable to complete it because the portal vein was blocked. At that time, the doctor said there was nothing else they could do and gave him 3 to 6 months to live. They suggested home hospice. Can someone please tell me what we can expect as far as if there will be any pain or what to look for in his final days? Thanks

Last edited by roosterja; 03-03-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: additional info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: End Stage Liver Cancer

First of all I am sorry about your Father and the difficult time you must be going through. My heart goes out to you.

I lost my Father one year ago today.. He died from Metastisized Liver cancer. When he went into Hospice they told us he had 3 months to live. He passed away in only 5 days. We were all in shock when it happened so fast. Liver cancer can be very aggressive. Hospice was wonderful. He went to the VA hospital Hospice rather than in home Hospice.

He grew weak quickly and had difficulty walking. He wanted to eat ice cream so that is pretty much what he had. He started having difficulty urinating because the tumor was taking over his bladder.....so they put a foley catheter in.... then the last 2 days before he passed he he slipped into an semi unconscious state..... he could hear us but not really respond. The Nurses gave him plenty of Morphine to make him comfortable. His breathing got labored which is normal......I did not feel he suffered. He passed quietly with my 2 brothers and myself at his side. He went very quickly.

It was sad to see him go but our Hospice experience was good. They gave him liquid morphine every 2 hours to keep him comfortable. It worked very well.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Now is the time to say whatever you need to say to him. Resolve anything you need too. Ask any questions you need to ask..Spend as much time with him.

I will be thinking of you and your Family.

Let me know how I can help........ Oleander

Old 03-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
    roosterja
    (male)

roosterja HB User

Thank you so much for your response. We really didn't know what to expect because the only thing that the doctors told us was that he had 3-6 months to live. I am also sorry for the loss of your father. This will be very difficult but the information provided will help. Thank you and God bless.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Some other things to think about when the time is right.

It is a good time to talk to him about his wishes if he is ready to talk about it. Like if he wants Life support or not. Like the type of service he would like and things like that. I know it is hard. These are topics that are very hard to face and talk about. Also any wills or finances that need to be put in place. Here again hard to discuss but better to get these issues resolved now.

This is good time to think about an autopsy. You may not want to think about it but for your Families medical history it can be a good idea.

You see they told us my Father had metastisized Melanoma cancer to the liver......we were told that all along......no reason to question it. We did request an autopsy. The results were suprising. He died of Liver cancer which was all throughout his body....he also had Bowen's disease. Turns out he had had this for years.......Melanoma had nothing to do with his death.

This has turned out to be very important because in January I found out that I have Bowen's disease....I now know my Father had it and I can be watched closely. My brothers also can be monitored for it. We do not regret getting the autopsy.

Sorry to have to discuss these things with you.....but I hope you will find it helpful as time goes on......

Sincerely with all my heart........ Oleander

Old 03-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
    roosterja
    (male)

roosterja HB User

Thanks once again for this information. I haven't shown this to Mom yet but plan to discuss this with her soon. Your input has been most informative and of course helpful.
    God bless.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #6
    beetle64
    (male)

beetle64 HB User

Very Sorry for you and your Dad roosterja,

My Dad is in a similar position, diagnosed with secondary liver cancer last year and has been on chemo which has stopped being effective, The Doctor stopped the chemo for the past 4 weeks and the current scan shows the cancer as growing fast. He is still to start another course of chemo but he told me today that the Doctor has given him 3 to 6 months to live. Other than he say's he doesnt feel that well he is still active and busy.

Can I ask how your Father is feeling now and his general condition?

my original post
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=633507[/url]

Old 04-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
    roosterja
    (male)

roosterja HB User
    Unhappy Re: End Stage Liver Cancer

Hello, I'm sorry to say that I lost my dad on April 19th. About two weeks before he died he stayed in the bed all of the time and was only eating 1/2 cup or so of food a day. At 12:30 on April 19th he complained of being very weak and all of a sudden his heart stopped and he just went to sleep. It was a blessing for my dad as well as our family that he did not suffer at all, we were prepared for the worst that most liver cancer patients endure but the Lord decided to spare him from the pain. Thank you so much for all of your concerns and prayers, it really helped alot to know what to expect in the later stages of this disease. God bless all of you!

Last edited by roosterja; 04-30-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:32 AM   #8
    beetle64
    (male)

beetle64 HB User

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad roosterja but glad the suffering was limited. My Dad is still declining in health and every day brings a new low. He appears to be going through cycles of confusion and unable to concentrate and then another day will be mentally very sharp. We don't know if the cycles of confusion are caused by the drugs, nutrition or the condition it's self. On his good days he can get about the yard and do the odd job although he gets tired very quick. On his bad days he is bed ridden. His appetite comes and goes. It's very hard to know what to expect as everyone has a different story and the doctors don't give much away.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
    budman32
    (male)

budman32 HB User

I am very sorry for your loss. I am going thru the same thing.

budman32

Last edited by budman32; 06-06-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: wrong post.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Chris I am so sorry for you...... My heart goes out to you. Not sure I responded to you or not....

My Dad died a year ago from Liver cancer and I have a dear friend right now in the late stages of Pancreatic and liver cancer. It can be tricky. I was told my Dad had 3 months and he died in 7 days....... my friend who has been complaining for 3 months of back pain(stupid doctor) to find he now has advanced Cancer and they are telling him 1 to 3 months....He has lost 40 pounds and has to have fluid drawn off his stomach daily to relieve pain. I cannot imagine him lasting 3 months...... Everyone is different....Enjoy your time with him and try to stay positive...... God Bless You........ Oleander

Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
    budman32
    (male)

budman32 HB User

I am very sorry for your loss.

Last edited by budman32; 06-06-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: I did not know that I needed to start new thread.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #12
    budman32
    (male)

budman32 HB User

Hi,
    I am sorry that I posted in this thread. I did not know that I could not do that. I started my own.

Very sorry

Closed Thread