It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• Was my mom at the end of liver cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
    Darrellc
    (male)

Darrellc HB User
    Was my mom at the end of liver cancer

My mom had cancer in her pancrease which spread to her liver causing tumors. The tumors caused fluid to build up in her abdomen, we took her to the hospital weekly to have the fluid drained, then she would return home. She did everything she would normally do, cook, clean care for herself. One night she had extreme abdominal pain and had to go to emergency room. We all thought it was the routine fluid drain, even she thought she was coming back home but they admitted her into the hospital because they saw a blood clot somewhere. However, her condition quickly deteriorated, within 4 days she was dead... I always thought someone with cancer deteriorates slowly until they get to the end of cancer where they can't do anything on there own. My mom was still caring for herself until she went to the hospital. Me and my family believe the hospital over medicated her because she just went to fast. Once they started with the IV, pain patch, she never came back, we believe they gave her the Fentanyl patch, along with morphine among other drugs, thats what killed her. They declined our autopsy request,,, however we paid for a private autopsy, we're waiting on toxocology reports. Do you think we are wrong to assume the hospital over medicated her or was it just her time to go. We strongly feel she wasn't at the end of the cancer and still had time left to live.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
    Re: Was my mom at the end of liver cancer

the hospital would have the medical knowledge to know how much medication was okay to give her without overmedicating. i guess it's possible she could have reacted badly though, since she was already so sick. was she in the hospital those entire 4 days? did she fall asleep and not wake up after being medicated? if so, that would be quite suspicious that the medication did something to her, but I doubt it was from overmedicating, though maybe more so likely a side effect from the drug itself since she was that sick.

what did they do over the blood clot? that itself can be quite dangerous (life threatening). did they tell you she died because of the cancer or because of a blood clot? maybe the meds they used, might have been used trying to treat the clot.

your autopsy should reveal the cause of death.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
    Darrellc
    (male)

Darrellc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
    the hospital would have the medical knowledge to know how much medication was okay to give her without overmedicating. i guess it's possible she could have reacted badly though, since she was already so sick. was she in the hospital those entire 4 days? did she fall asleep and not wake up after being medicated? if so, that would be quite suspicious that the medication did something to her, but I doubt it was from overmedicating, though maybe more so likely a side effect from the drug itself since she was that sick.

what did they do over the blood clot? that itself can be quite dangerous (life threatening). did they tell you she died because of the cancer or because of a blood clot? maybe the meds they used, might have been used trying to treat the clot.

your autopsy should reveal the cause of death.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Darrell,

You've already posted this, and had several replies. Instead of starting a new thread, why don't you just reply to your own thread, put the word "bump" in the reply box, and that'll move the thread up closer to the top of the list.

Ruth

Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
    Darrellc
    (male)

Darrellc HB User

Thanks for the reply, it just seem suspicious to us that she took a turn for the worst after entering the hospital. We never learned where the blood clot was, however they gave her some type of blood thinner to help with that. After they gave her the medication she was out it, awake< but no aware. The toxocology did not show a high dose of any medication in her blood, theirfore the medical examiner ruled the cause of death hepathetic failure due to liver and pancreatic cancer. We were told by the nurse, that she was receiving morphine for pain and we seen the fentanyl patch on her chest which we had them to remove.,but the toxocology did not show a positive result for either pain medication...It only showed a positive finding for the 5 other medications they gave her, 2 of those were pain medication (Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen) All we could do now is wait to see whats in her medical record and compare that to the toxocology report. At this point we are wondering why the report didn't show any morphine.

Closed Thread