It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• Mother into fourth month of pancreatic cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
    catbcker
    (female)

catbcker HB User
    Mother into fourth month of pancreatic cancer

I am glad I found this site as I am the caregiver of my 83 year old mother who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which had spread to liver, ribs, and lymph nodes July 5, 2009. Having lost my brother and Dad to cancer within the last ten years, mother opted to not undergo any treatment, and live out the three months the Doctors gave her with myself and Hospice seeing to her comfort. Mom is a big woman, starting out at 240, she is now down to 180, and I feel her strength has sustained her this long. Nausea has been the biggest issue, and some pain. Nausea patches and pain patches seem to be helping her quality of life and she has lived 2 weeks past the three months she had been given. She hasn't eaten anything but maybe two to three spoons of soup or sherbet for two weeks now and the weakness got so bad last night I had to call for help to get her out of her chair and into bed. She couldn't even lift her foot and seemed to be incoherrent, and that along with labored breathing and black tarry stools, I felt sure last night would be the end.
    This morning she is more coherrent and was able to walk from bed to her chair with two of us assisting her and I called Hospice as I feared a stroke. Nurse has felt all along her heart racing from 100 to 120 and highly irregular would be what finally puts her to rest. This morning her heart rate is 132 and breathing labored, but she is still sitting in her chair, with the TV on (although she is looking through the TV, not actually watching) Anyone have any insight on how high a rate the heart can take? Her stomach constantly is moving and rolling as we watch her sleep, nurse says she sees this alot with pancreatic cancer. Anyone know whats going on there? Thanks for any information you may have out there.

Last edited by catbcker; 10-18-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
    Re: Mother into fourth month of pancreatic cancer

I am so sorry your family has been hit so hard with this terrible cancer.
    My mom doesn't have cancer but she does have tachycardia. She was hospitalized years ago with a rate rate of 300. A few weeks ago her heart rate was 200 but the paramedics got it down quickly.
    Your mom's heart rate, is it the result of the patches? My girlfriend was on fentanyl and when she had difficulties, her daughter-in-law, a nurse, cut back the dosage.
    Can your mom drink Ensure? I know what you mean about watching tv but not "watching". My friend did that also. She also would just stare at me, but I wasn't sure if she was really seeing me at times. She passed within a week of that.
    You are a wonderful daughter to be there for your mom

Closed Thread