It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• Mother into fourth month of pancreatic cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
    biochemist
    (female)

biochemist HB User
    Re: Mother into fourth month of pancreatic cancer

My mother was diagnosed w/ pancreatic cancer Dec. 2009 right around Christmas. Her condition has worsened dramatically.

Lots of weight loss, vomitting, nausea. No jaundice. We had an edoscopic ultrasound day before yesterday and it shows that it has no spread to her small bowel or stomach. It is quite large though and it's spread to her celiac, superior mesenteric artery (it's inoperable). She's stage III. Her back pain has worsened a great deal.

They are proposing that she get some chemotherapy to keep the cancer under control. I just have a bad feeling about all this i.e. her prognosis.

But maybe I am being very pessimistic.

It may not be uplifting to hear about all these stories of death and suffering, I am very sorry that you all have had to deal with PC but I am very thankful to know what to expect.

Can anyone tell me what to expect with chemo specifically for PC? I know chemo is very different these days. Everyone reacts differently. Also re: clinical trials. We were unable to get a biopsy because the vasculature is too involved and it would cause bleeding. She received a celiac axis nerve block but it hasn't improved her condition so far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #17
    Pghrunner46
    (female)

Pghrunner46 HB User

My dad was diagnosed with PC officially on 1-4-10. He is also extremely confused and becoming more so every day. We actually are finding this more alarming than the cancer, as he is still eating pretty well and doesn't complain of pain, except for occasionally in his abdomen. The doctor seems to think this has something to do with the cancer also being in his liver. However, his blood work doesn't indicate this. If you get a response to the confusion issue, please reply. My family is sick about this. Thank you!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
    LockedInGa
    (female)

LockedInGa HB User

My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on February 8th, 2010. She has refused all treatments and refuses to return to the doctor. She is a severe diabetic and has 7 stints in her heart and a stint in her bile duct. She has developed a cough and has started refusing to eat. She has lost 25 pounds since February and losing at almost 2 pounds a day. She wants to die at home so I have place my job and family on hold and moved in with her. Her sugar is way out of control and we are having bouts of blindness, and loss of hearing. She is no longer able to hold down food and now wants to stop all medications. Her abdomen has become very extended and her arms and legs are down to nothing. The pain killers alter her mind so she won't take them unless I threaten to leave. She is still able to walk but I don't know for how much longer. Since she won't let me bring in Hospice or Respite at this time can anyone tell me what to expect as this progress. I am actually in medical school right now but know that each patient is different and just wonder the signs I can look for to know the end is nearing.

Closed Thread