It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• Friend's Liver Cancer Diagnosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
    Miss Me
    (female)

Miss Me HB User
    Friend's Liver Cancer Diagnosis

Hi everyone. A dear friend was just diagnosed with LC and the oncologist says he only has a 50/50 chance of surviving a year. Too sad. He is just 66 and has cirrhosis, diagnosed a year ago. They have been closely monitoring him this last year, keeping an eye on tumor growth, and WOW, all of a sudden... one large tumor and two smaller ones appeared and are malignant. Is the time frame of one short year left for real? He starts nuclear bead therapy Monday expecting 3-5 monthly doses. I am so devastated and hope for the miracle that may save him. Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited by Miss Me; 12-03-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
    Liverace
    (male)

Liverace HB User
    Re: Friend's Liver Cancer Diagnosis

I do not have any thoughts on Liver Cancer since I don't have it but I do have a question which might seem stupid since your friend has cancer.

Is a transplant out of the equation?....maybe so because of the cancer. I know my doctors at the Liver Disease Center here in Arizona check for cancer markers in my blood work every six months and if they appear I will be pushed ahead for transplant.

You have my heartfelt sympathy and support during such a traumatic period in yours and your friends life.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
    Miss Me
    (female)

Miss Me HB User

A transplant is out of the question due to the cirrhosis, as is resection surgery... I am wondering why they are even doing the nuclear therapy for the next 3-5 months; isn't the quality of your last year of life, as it were, most important? Thank you for your sensitivity, this is very hard. I do not even know what to say the next time I see him

Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
    Miss Me
    (female)

Miss Me HB User

Sad news today, after 1st nuclear therapy completed... they now think he may not benefit at all from further treatment and rather than make him suffer further they may just let him be, hoping for some quality of life, for a mere year, if that. So sad. I just hope this recent treatment miraculously stops the tumor growths in their tracks. This just seems like an awfully short time frame considering all the diligent monitoring they did. Perhaps the cirrhosis has made it worse... I am completely shocked. My Mom had pancreatic cancer and she lived 2 years after her diagnosis. God bless my friend and all others dealing with this insidious disease.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
    Liverace
    (male)

Liverace HB User

I am so sorry to hear this bad news about your friend. A year is really a short time and I hope your friend finds peace and acceptance during this period, you are truly a good friend. God Bless.

Last edited by Liverace; 12-09-2009 at 08:31 AM.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
    Miss Me
    (female)

Miss Me HB User

Thank you for the kind words. I am so worried about his wife. The two of them have been thru SO much in their lives. Nicest people in the world. It does not seem fair.

Closed Thread