It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• Dying from liver cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
    MALANN
    (female)

MALANN HB User
    Dying from liver cancer

My partner was told almost three months ago that his liver cancer was terminal and was given three to six months. I have watched his weight drop but have no idea what the late stages will be like. Can anyone help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    Re: Dying from liver cancer

I am sorry for your situation. It is hard to watch someone die and feel so hopeless. Is your partner hooked up with home hospice? they can help you both through this and give you the guidance you really need now. And please read the book Death and Dying by Kubler Ross. good luck.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
    MALANN
    (female)

MALANN HB User

I will try the book, thank you. We have been connected to a hospice who have come in on occasion. I can't seem to get them to tell me what the deterioration will be like, as in, will he become confused, aggressive or any of those sorts of things. I want to be forewarned so that I can prepare the rest of the family as they are asking questions that I have no answer to.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
    tbekker
    (female)

tbekker HB User

I am very much at a loss as well. My dear father-in-law has secondary liver cancer and has just entered the hospital as my mother-in-law and in home hospice just couldn't meet his needs any longer.

He is very thin, has fluid accumulating in his stomach and no longer eats. He has severe nausea and is also on a morophine and anti-nausea drip. When we went yesterday he slept a great deal of the time and would even nod off while in mid-conversation. He appears to stare off into space and only speaks when needed or in two or three word responses.

It is so close to the holidays and we are afraid to go anywhere or do anything as we have no idea when we will get that call. I wish there was a more detailed list of what to expect; almost like a count down. It would help us prepare our children and be there for my mother-in-law.

It is horrible spending each day you open your eyes wonder "okay is this the day". I know that this must however be 10 fold for my father in law, he was actually disappointed that he awoke last week as he had hoped he would have gone in his sleep.

Last edited by tbekker; 12-23-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
    MALANN
    (female)

MALANN HB User

Your father-in-laws situation is pretty much the same as my partners. I had no idea that people could survive without eating anything for so long. A the moment my partner is still at home but is now very confused and can be a little aggressive. He asked, when he was first diagnosed, that he wanted me to promise never to put him into a hospice, but I'm finding it more and more difficult.I hope you made it through the holiday.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
    spirithawk06
    (female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Is there a home health service in your area that could help you care for him? When my grandmother was terminally ill with a brain tumor, we had home help come to help us care for her, bathe her, check ups, taking care of her for us to get a break and stuff like that. It might help both of you.

My father had lung cancer and it was hard for us to deal with it by ourselves. It is hard to deal with any kind of cancer. I wish you and your family the best of luck. God Bless.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
    tbekker
    (female)

tbekker HB User

It was a very difficult holiday for everyone. Christmas night my husband actually found his dad a little more with it and they had a very close and personal father son talk I guess. Today my father-in-law is sleeping all the time and his only real response to the outside world was his ability to squeeze my mother-in-law's hand. It is very difficult for everyone as you are very much aware of. I hope you are doing okay. As for the Hospice thing, my father-in-law was against it also at first until he went to visit one. With the pain and progression I know he is now glad he changed his mind. It doesn't have to be a bad place, the staff are great and they even have beds for you if you want to sleep there with him.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
    tbekker
    (female)

tbekker HB User

Well, the holidays have come and gone and My dear father-in-law passed away at 1205am on Jan 8. It was a very difficult time and we spent almost every waking minute with him the last few days. It has been very hard but I just keep telling myself that I am grieving for what I have lost, he is no longer in pain and I should rejoice in that. Perhaps that will get easier with time.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
    Marty444
    (female)

Marty444 HB User

tbekker,

I was following the thread, I am praying for you and your family at this difficult time, yes logic and faith tell us he is in a better place, but it hurts so much for those left behind.
    best to you

Old 01-19-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
    MALANN
    (female)

MALANN HB User

I am sorry for your loss.My partner also died at 2.55pm on 14th January. I feel lost and don't yet know how I'm going to get through the funeral on the 25th. As you say, at least there is no more pain. He didn't even make his 62nd birthday.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
    tbekker
    (female)

tbekker HB User

All I can say is remeber to take care of yourself. I know much too well how you are feeling right now. My father-in-law would have been 73 on Jan 31, he died on my birthday. It hurts so much to see our loved ones go through such a horrible disease. Stay strong and try to remind yourself he is in a better place.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
    tbekker
    (female)

tbekker HB User

Thank-you for your thoughts. Hopefully I will be able to help someone through a similar difficult time in the future.

Closed Thread