It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• death from colon or liver cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
    texone3
    (male)

texone3 HB User
    Question death from colon or liver cancer

Has anyone seen someone die from colon or liver cancer? I am wondering what I have in store for me. I have stage 4 and Hospice is not giving me long to live. The Hospice doctor said most die in their sleep. I am just wondering if this is true or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
    Re: death from colon or liver cancer

TexOne,

I don't have any personal experience from this. My hubby had stage 3/4 colorectal cancer in 03 and is doing fine now he is very lucky. I just would like to say I'm very sorry and that I will be sending positive thoughts your way. I've heard sometimes those under hospice care that you are made very very comfortable where there is minimal suffering. I am however, no expert.

Peace.

Cathy

Old 02-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

I can't comment on the type of cancer but have had 2 people very close to me pass away while in hospice care for cancer. In both cases they were well treated and very comfortable until the end. Both passed away in their sleep (they did spend a great deal of time sleeping near the end).

I'm very sorry about your situation.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
    kjmiller
    (female)

kjmiller HB User

My Dad died of Lung Cancer. We with the help of hospice, were able to keep him comfortable. He was awake and talking 3 hrs before he died. Went to sleep and then peacefully slipped away. As far as I can tell it was a relatively peace, pain at a minimum death. I should be so lucky when my time comes. I think hospice will help you and your family.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
    texone3
    (male)

texone3 HB User

Thank you. I had heard that liver cancer was a painful way to die, but I think that may not be true. Hospice has me on a pain pump so I can control my pain. Once again thank you.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
    Sophia888
    (female)

Sophia888 HB User

Texone, that is true from what I experienced with my father. He had colon cancer with mets to the liver. The colon tumor was removed, but the liver was never treated due to his age, and his bad reaction to chemo. Three weeks before he passed, he began staying in bed and sleeping most of the day. He wasn't in any pain, with the exception of just a bit of discomfort in the liver area now and then. For 2 days before his passing , he was non-responsive...and I would like to think that he was in a very nice sleep. He was very comfortable and peaceful when he left me.
    My prayers and love are with you.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
    Stabevrian
    (female)

Stabevrian HB User

I am sorry about your situation.

My Grandmother passed away last May from liver cancer (which they think started in the colon). We had her move in with my mom and Hospice came a few times a week to check on her, give tests, pain meds, etc. She told us she wasn’t in much pain at all, she said she just felt something in her liver area- not pain, but she was feeling the tumor we figure. I went home for 2 weeks about a month before she passed and she was just very tired all the time, she barely ate anything and slept most of the day. We did ask her a lot if she was in pain and she said no and she wasn’t even taking much pain medication. Three days before she passed she was sleeping 99% of the time, she did pass away in her sleep, my Mom woke up Monday morning and she was gone.

Closed Thread