It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board

• EXTREMELY scared my mom may have pancreatic cancer...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
    Sahuja12
    Veteran
    (female)

Sahuja12 HB User
    EXTREMELY scared my mom may have pancreatic cancer...

Hi all,

I am so nervous right now. My mom is just 58 years old. Last month, she had severe abdominal pain that radiated to her back. It lasted a few days and then completely went away. I kepy telling her to go to the doc but she did not listen. By the time she went, the pain was gone. DOc said it may have just been a side effect of her medication for osteoporosis. STUPID doc.

She was fine for a few weeks and then it came back with avengence about two weeks ago. Horrid abdominal pain and back pain. She went to the doc and they did a pelvic ultrasound and said she had gallstones. We all breathed a sigh of relief. Doc gave her a pain med but that made her really sick and she was vomiting all night (codeine does not suit her I guess.) Her appetite is gone with all the pain. The pain comes on VERY suddenly. She went to the surgeon today who said the type of pain she was having may not be from the gallstones... She is not having a right sided pain but an ALL over abdominal pain and all over her back now... She is very fatigues because she cant seem to sleep. Aleve helps a bit...

She is already anemic and her counts are even lower. The doc wants to do a CT scan and if that is normal, a colonoscopy... I am worried sick... We were relieved that it was just the gallstones... I mean, it may still be but I am worried sick...!!! I am hoping all of her tests are normal and its just the gallstones...Please pray for my mum!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
    rose4me
    (female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
    Re: EXTREMELY scared my mom may have pancreatic cancer...

Sahuja12 - I will pray for your mum. I had similar symptoms - gall bladder related. My diagnosis was acute pancreatitis (severe) by the time I made it the ER. The cause was a gall stone lodged in the sphincter of odi (pancreatic bile duct). Acute pancreatitis symptoms come on suddenly, with vomiting, sometimes fever, jaundice, loss of appetite, urine the color of very strong dark tea, light colored or clay colored stools, and in my case the inablitity to sleep - because of the increasing discomfort of the gall bladder - then -Wham - the pain. The pain was all over the abdomen, radiating to the back - the wrap around pain. Sometimes sitting or semi reclining and leaning forward a bit also helped alleviate the pain. Ultimately, hospitalization with no food or drink by mouth for 8 days to give the pancreas a rest, then gradually increasing the fluids by mouth and a liquid diet until surgery to remove the gall bladder, strong pain meds, antibiotics running 24 hours a day for 14 days straight.
    I knew after throwing up that morning, with my other symptoms, I could no longer bite the bullet, but had to seek help. I am glad I did - I would of perished if I had waited many more hours without seeking help.
    Hang in there -
    Rose

Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
    Sahuja12
    Veteran
    (female)

Sahuja12 HB User
    Re: EXTREMELY scared my mom may have pancreatic cancer...

Thank you. I have been thinking the same. That she has pancreatis. But she is getting a CT scan today. I am praying and hoping that it is the stones or even pancreatis. Just nothing more than that!

Closed Thread