It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

Requesting Opinion on My Prostate Cancer from Experienced People

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2017, 01:36 AM   #16
patvl246
(male)

patvl246 HB User
Re: Requesting Opinion on My Prostate Cancer from Experienced People

Thank you very much Jim, I have one more question please.
"penile rehabilitation"???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #17
IADT3since2000
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi again Pat,

"Penile rehabilitation" is basically "physical therapy" (some of it involves medication, and some physical exercises) for the penis after surgery. While some patients may do well without it, experts say it is important for a lot of patients and that neglecting such rehab soon after surgery often results in erectile dysfunction that is more difficult to improve. This is a big deal for a lot of patients.

The penis is a muscle, and too often nothing is done to help it recover after radical prostatectomies, resulting in muscle atrophy and other problems.

Fortunately, this area has been well researched. If you go to www.pubmed.gov and use the search string " penile rehabilitation after radical prostatectomy " as I just did, setting a filter for only papers with abstracts, you will get 170 hits. Substituting the filter for "free full text" narrows it down to 63 papers. Reading all of them is a whole lot more work than any of us would want to do, but you will probably learn a lot by looking at some of them. Some doctors are true experts in this field. You might try this search string " penile rehabilitation after radical prostatectomy AND mulhall j [au] ". There is a doctor JM who has written books on this from the perspective of his perch as the sexual rehabilitation expert for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC.

I hope you get some first hand responses dealing with this. My understanding is that it is very important to start soon after surgery. Also, my impression is that some surgeons are poorly informed about how to advise and manage this care for their patients, so you may need to be proactive.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #18
patvl246
(male)

patvl246 HB User

Thank you again Jim, for all your help, information and time responding.
Pat

Reply Reply

Tags
cancer, prostate cancer