It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

Calutide tablet has reduced my PSA level dramatically …

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
ak773
(male)

ak773 HB User
Calutide tablet has reduced my PSA level dramatically …

Dear Sir,

I am 45 years old.

On February 2017, I checked my PSA level found 6.83 ng/ml and Gleasonís Grade 3+3=6/10 by biopsy test.

On April 2017, my doctor suggested me to take Hormone Therapy (3 Zoladex Injection). Already I have taken two injections. He also suggested me to take Calutide tablets 50mg per day without any surgery.

On June 17, 2017, again I have checked my PSA found 1.37 ng/ml.

And one month later, on July 20, 2017, I found my PSA Level 0.57 ng/ml.

Could you please give me your opinion or advice at my present situation?

Kind Regards,
M. A Zaman

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
IADT3since2000
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: Calutide tablet has reduced my PSA level dramatically …

I am glad you have seen a nice drop in PSA.

The continued decline in your PSA to 0.57 ng/mL strikes me as a good response to two agent (Zoladex plus Calutide) hormonal therapy. Research in this area is not conclusive, but doctors who use a lot of hormonal therapy whom I follow closely would like to see the PSA continue to drop - hopefully in the next month or few months - to less than 0.05; if the PSA levels off above that, you could try to add finasteride or dutasteride to see if you could continue to drive it down. However, due to scant research, many doctors would not be concerned at this point. I don't feel that is the right posture, but I cannot prove it with conclusive studies. If the PSA does not drop below 0.05, especially with three drugs against the cancer, the doctors I follow would investigate so they could use a more aggressive approach.

Once the PSA falls below 0.05, the doctors I follow would put you on a vacation from the heavier duty drugs - for you, Zoladex and Calutide - but use finasteride or dutasteride - both fairly mild and tolerable - as maintenance. There is some evidence on both sides whether that is helpful. I believe a similar approach was most helpful to me.

You are most likely to gain a lot of time because of this approach in your circumstances. However, hormonal therapy is rarely curative. At some point, you might want to have radiation, surgery, or some other treatment, which could give you a good chance for a cure. (One value of gaining time is that treatments and supportive technology will have improved, often becoming much better.)

Reply Reply