It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

Question re: Bladder Spasms

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2017, 03:10 AM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
guy42 HB User
Question re: Bladder Spasms

I am a 69 year old male in generally good health.

I had been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and had the Radioactive seed implants about 7 years ago. My PSA is essentially zilch.

I also have a stricture which occasionally "acts up" and makes it difficult to produce a good stream of urine.

My Urologist Cystoscoped me about 2 weeks ago and dilated the stricture which opened the urine stream but within 12 hours afterwards his insertion of the Cystoscope and the catheter produced irritation and VERY painful bladder spasms which causes me to be unable to pee.

What also happens is that while I am exerting pressure to try to urinate I get a simultaneous rectal discharge. Then the pain subsides and I can pee a few drops and feel better. But within a few minutes the cycle starts again where I experience an increasing need to pee again with the aforementioned rectal discharge. I assume this is what is meant by a "bladder spasm" and it is awful.

The Urologist gave me some samples of "Uribel" but they don't help. I suppose I could catheterize myself to relieve the need to pee while having these attacks but I wanted to avoid having to do that.

Has anyone had this type of problem and what medicine works to reduce or eliminate these attacks?

Any advice or feedback will be greatly appreciated.


Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 08-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Annandale, VA, USA
Posts: 1,914
Blog Entries: 3
IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: Question re: Bladder Spasms

Hi Sy,

Is your doctor a specialist in this area? If you are not getting the level of relief you want, it would probably be wise to go to one of these specialized urologists. I suspect there are a number of them around the US and world. One from Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles gave a talk all about continence issues at the 2016 Conference on Prostate Cancer last September in Los Angeles. He sounded like he was expert, but he without doubt has a sense of humor: he drives a yellow car, and his license plate reads IMK UDRY.

Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:18 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!