It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

Incontinence and erections after surgery/help

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
oldbeek
(male)

oldbeek HB User
Incontinence and erections after surgery/help

OK as my current post I had a radical prostatectomy. Now starting in rehab for incontinence and also do not know what I am doing as far as erections. Problem is here I am finding mixed messages from my support group.
1. my rehab tech. started with a digital exam of my rectal muscle to get a starting point of how strong my pelvic floor muscle is. Another person in my group says she is working with the wrong muscle. There are 2 other muscles near my scrotum and penis that I should be working to strengthen. Not my anus muscle. any help?
2. This therapist says to get a penile clamp to help with dribble. Only use for short periods to keep bladder used to filling and emptying. This sounds good to me but others in therapy did not use penile clamps.
3. therapist is going to suggest some kind of anal probe connected to a tens unit to strengthen my floor muscle. Again is she working on the wrong muscle??
4. any info on on penile injections would really be helpful. Can I use an auto inject tool???
5. she is also ordering a penile suction device to keep blood flowing. Any thoughts

I have already made the worst decision of my life and I don't need anymore mistakes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
oldbeek
(male)

oldbeek HB User
Re: Incontinence and erections after surgery/help

Well,no one is saying anything! Today went back to rehab for incontenence. Findings
1 tech agreed we are working on the frontal muscles but the work on the spincher muscel is also needed.
2 . got 2 different penile clamps. Definitely like the Dribble stop. (Amazon) over the Bard Cunningham device. Much more comfortable and fits any size. At any rate I used 6 full pads on Saturday. ( this pee is disgusting) today, with Dribble stop used 1 pad cut in half. Great product...
3. Used the suction device today to get blood flow only. Easy to use.
Got a couple of other exercises started today. I can almost stop urine in full stream. Just reducing the wet pads with the dribble stop has really raised my moral. Hope my posts are helping someone out there.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:50 AM   #3
IADT3since2000
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: Incontinence and erections after surgery/help

I'm sorry you have had such a rough time!

I'm hoping you get replies from people who have gone through these problems, but in the meantime here are some leads.

You aren't that far from LA, and from September 8-10 the Prostate Cancer Research Institute, the main sponsor, is producing the 19th annual Prostate Cancer Conference, this year again at the LAX Marriott, just a short distance from the airport. The conference, which is essentially for patients, features presentations by experts, plus Q&A sessions following their presentations where patients get to ask their own questions directly. I went to my first in 2000, about nine months after my diagnosis, and it was the best "investment" I've ever made in my life. I've been to about a half dozen and studied the post-conference DVD sets, which cover presentations and Q&As at the conference, as well as the Saturday night dinner, for several others. Being at the conference is a wonderful opportunity to talk to many survivors and find people dealing with the same problems you have. Obviously, there will be a great many people from the Southern California area who know the expertise that is available there (which is a LOT of expertise). The "tuition" fee is cheap and the Marriott has a special low room rate. Does Desert Sun still fly from Lancaster to LA? I had a ball flying with them a few times on trips to China Lake. I remember going to their ticket booth at LAX, having the agent sell me the ticket, then pick up my bags and put them on a cart which he wheeled to the plane, then get in the plane and sit in the cockpit, then pilot the plane. Cool!

Specific to one of your main concerns, expert doctor JM from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City, one of the foremost experts treating sexual issues and rehabilitation for prostate cancer, will be presenting once again. You can buy his books or seem him on DVDs at the conference from past years, which may be available to you for loan at a nearby support group and which can also be purchased. (DVDs from past years are marked down. He was not at the 2016 conference.)

A different LA area doctor, GL from Cedars-Sinai presented on urine control at the LA conference. He seemed to really know what he was talking about. Appropriately, he drives a yellow car with the license plate "IMKUPEE". I'll review his talk to see how it applies to your questions, but I'm hoping someone with direct experience will answer you.

In that regard, many support groups have people who have faced these problems and really know the territory. Us Too is the main sponsor of support groups all over the US and world, but there are also many other groups. Local hospitals often know about them.

You have been dealt a rough hand, but most often patients in your circumstances can improve their situations quite a bit.

Good luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to IADT3since2000:
oldbeek (08-23-2017)
Reply Reply