It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

Post surgery and incontinence

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #1
hmcg7
(male)

hmcg7 HB User
Post surgery and incontinence

I am looking for people after prostatectomy and how it took you to recover
from incontinence. I am only 2.5 weeks post op, wearing a depends type of
protection. I realize everyone is different, just looking for an idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
IADT3since2000
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: Post surgery and incontinence

Hi again,

I see you haven't had a reply in several days, so I'll give this a try, though I have no first-hand experience.

Partly, according to experts, it depends on the patient's age, with younger men recovering faster, and the expertise of the surgeon, with patients of more expert surgeons doing better. Doubt if either point is a surprise.

It can also vary depending on what the surgeon had to do during the operation.

According to a well regarded source: "Many men will require a protective pad for several weeks to months after surgery. Fortunately, most men will ultimately recover urinary control. Long-term (after 1 year) incontinence is rare with occurrence in less than 5-10% of all surgical cases." Also fortunately, there are a number of treatments that can decrease or eliminate such lasting incontinence for most patients, according to leading expert Dr. GL.

If you are up for some in-depth homework, you can go to www.pubmed.gov and check the medical research that has been published. You might try a search string like: urinary incontinence AND prostatectomy . I just got 2,743 hits with that one (with the abstracts filter activated). You can work with the search string and filters to narrow down results.

I hope this helps, and I hope you get some responses with first-hand experience.

Reply Reply