It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Husband 55 with increasing PSA

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #16
    murphy496
    (female)

murphy496 HB User
    Re: Husband 55 with increasing PSA

Tony,

No biopsy done. The DR is saying he can wait another 6 months and recheck PSA again. So my husband who doesnít want to the biopsy anyway said heíll just wait. So we go back in July for more blood work to check PSA. Iím concerned about waiting but I canít get him to change his mind. He had first check was 2.6 in 2016, 3.4 in 2017 , 4.1 in 2018 and then 6 month check 4.73 on Jan 4, 2019. Iím hoping if itís increased again in July the DR will say we need to do the biopsy itís the only way my husband might do it.

Thanks
    Murphy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #17
    *tony*
    (male)

*tony* HB User*tony* HB User

MY EXPERIENCE: I had family history working against me. My PCP was well aware that my father died of PC at 68 and so he insisted on a PSA every year after age 40. On the day that my PSA exceeded 4.3, he immediately referred me to a urologist. My urologist did the DR and found nothing. No symptoms whatsoever. Just an elevated PSA. However, he too was concerned about the family history. So, within a week of my first urologist visit, I completed the biopsy and it turned up positive. My long journey began...

Old 07-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #18
    murphy496
    (female)

murphy496 HB User

Just had another 6 month check up again. Last time PSA was 4.73 this time PSA 5.24. Dr didnít have an issue waiting again for another 6 months. But I wasnít happy and my husband finally scheduled a biopsy for August 8th as long as he doesnít change his mind. His total Free PSA was 25% and his K4 was 8. Just wanted to update hopefully if it is cancer maybe it will be one that can be monitored.

Thanks again for all your words of wisdom.

Murphy

Old 07-12-2019, 04:44 AM   #19
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi again murphy,

I think you are all "right", you, your husband, and the doctor. It is reasonable to wait another 6 months, but it is also to pull the trigger on the biopsy now, especially if you and your husband are getting anxious about it. Have you considered getting a multiparametric MRI scan before the biopsy? That can provide valuable clues, and even might provide a basis for canceling the biopsy.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #20
    murphy496
    (female)

murphy496 HB User

Iím the one anxious about it. My husband has no issue waiting but I canít stand not knowing. I canít see going every 6 months if a biopsy will tell us one way or another what we might be dealing with. His numbers are continuing to go up every 6 months. We asked about an MRI and the Dr said he didnít see a need right now to do one. That they usually do an MRI after biopsy if needed. Iím worried about the biopsy being done too. But Iím more worried not knowing if itís cancer.

Thanks for your response.

Murphy

The following user gives a hug of support to murphy496:
    IADT3since2000 (07-12-2019)
    Reply Reply