It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• What are some great ways to prevent prostate cancer?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
    imc2111
    (male)

imc2111 HB User
    What are some great ways to prevent prostate cancer?

Two of my uncles from my father’s side have got prostate cancer. I want to make lifestyle changes and also help my dad with prevention. Are there any good suggestions to greatly increase prevention of this, or any other type of cancer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: What are some great ways to prevent prostate cancer?

A good way to prevent prostate cancer and most other cancers is to eliminate all forms of animal protein from your diet. Animal protein promotes cancer because of Interleukin Growth Factor 1 (IGF1). You can look it up.

All animal protein promotes growth. Animal protein is great for those who want to build muscle and lose weight. So, in that respect, it's good in the short term but increases one's risk for cancer and other degenerative diseases in the long run.

In addition, it helps if you eliminate highly processed foods like baked goods made with white flour and sugar. Whole grains are better by comparison but still not very good and should not be more than one serving per meal.

My father, brother and uncle had prostate cancer. My sister died of lung cancer and my mother had breast cancer. So as soon as I learned how bad animal protein and processed foods are, I changed my diet to veganism. That was 12 years ago and I'm glad I made the change.

Animal protein, together with processed fast-foods, speeds up the aging process.

It helps if you like fresh fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds. Vegetable protein does not promote growth like animal protein and has many health benefits.

Note: If you stop eating animal protein you will need to take a small B12 supplement.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-29-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
    imc2111
    (male)

imc2111 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    A good way to prevent prostate cancer and most other cancers is to eliminate all forms of animal protein from your diet. Animal protein promotes cancer because of Interleukin Growth Factor 1 (IGF1). You can look it up.

All animal protein promotes growth. Animal protein is great for those who want to build muscle and lose weight. So, in that respect, it's good in the short term but increases one's risk for cancer and other degenerative diseases in the long run.

In addition, it helps if you eliminate highly processed foods like baked goods made with white flour and sugar. Whole grains are better by comparison but still not very good and should not be more than one serving per meal.

My father, brother and uncle had prostate cancer. My sister died of lung cancer and my mother had breast cancer. So as soon as I learned how bad animal protein and processed food are, I changed my diet to veganism. That was 12 years ago and I'm glad I made the change.

Animal protein, together with processed fast-foods, speeds up the aging process.

It helps if you like fresh fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds. Vegetable protein does not promote growth like animal protein and has many health benefits.

Note: If you stop eating animal protein you will need to take a small B12 supplement.
    Thanks for your response. I had heard about IGF1 and had adopted a semi whole food vegan diet, but I may go back to it now.

I do wonder, why isn’t this mainstream info? If you go to the mayo clinic website and check their recommendations for prostate cancer, they mention that there is no proven way to lower your risk and even though they recommend getting most of your fats from plants, they recommend eating fish (mainly because of omega 3s).

Also, would you know if we should worry about the lectins found in legumes?

Old 06-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imc2111 View Post

I do wonder, why isn’t this mainstream info? If you go to the mayo clinic website and check their recommendations for prostate cancer, they mention that there is no proven way to lower your risk and even though they recommend getting most of your fats from plants, they recommend eating fish (mainly because of omega 3s).
    That's a good question and there might be several reasons. I have noticed this and I have my own ideas about it, but I hesitate to speculate. Anyway, I will say this: Most people, from my experience, are not willing to make drastic changes with their diet. The foods that people eat can be very addictive to both the public and to healthcare professionals. So this tends to put a damper on any information that is relatively new.

Quote:
    Also, would you know if we should worry about the lectins found in legumes?
    I'm glad you mentioned it. I had never heard anything about lectins in legumes. I just looked into it and the information I found said that cooking destroys lectins in beans as long as you cook them long enough at a high temperature. I usually cook beans for one hour. Maybe I'll start cooking them longer as per the instructions on the package.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-29-2018 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Words changed to clairify.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Food has been a prominent part of my strategy since shortly after my diagnosis in December 1999.

There has been favorable research on the vegan diet. I myself have followed a Mediterranean diet, which is easier to follow than the vegan diet, including lots of fish, plus fish oil. Some research suggest that cruciferous vegetables are particularly helpful against prostate cancer; I eat both broccoli and cauliflower at lunch, with a little mustard to increase their bioavailability. I eat no red meat (beef, pork, lamb), extremely little dairy except recently for cheese now that I seem to have been cured, and limited amounts of poultry. I consume 24 almonds daily, some olive oil (also for cooking), lots of vegetables and fruit, two squares of ~80% dark chocolate, 8 bags (48 oz) of green tea per day steeped with a few drops of lemon juice (14 bags in the early years), 2 glasses of tomato juice, and 1 to 2 glasses (~4 ounces each) of red wine. There has been a lot of research on the Mediterranean diet, with favorable results.

Supplements used to generate a lot of excitement in the prostate cancer community, and I took a number of them; unfortunately, research was not supportive. Now I'm continuing with just calcium/vitamin D3 (plus some associated helping minerals) and fish oil.

There are three drugs that likely help that are fairly mild and easily tolerated for most of us. Drugs in the statin class are associated with better freedom from advanced and lethal prostate cancer. I take a low dose of simvastatin daily. (My wife cannot tolerate any statin, but this is relatively uncommon.) Both finasteride (Proscar) and dutasteride (Avodart) are likely helpful in prevention of low-grade prostate cancer; a few of us will experience some unwanted side effects that likely can be reversed by stopping the drugs. They also promote regrowth of some scalp hair. The old diabetes drug metformin is generating a lot of excitement, so watch for developments regarding prostate cancer, possibly including prevention.

I too learned about lectins only recently. I'm still learning.

Good luck!

Last edited by IADT3since2000; 07-01-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added about cruciferous vegetables

Old 07-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
    imc2111
    (male)

imc2111 HB User

Some good info! Thanks for sharing.

Im familiar with those drugs. They are used a lot for male pattern baldness. Didnt know they were used to treat prostate cancer too.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #7
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Proscar for many years and Avodart more recently have been part of my therapy program since September 2000, continuously. Both sharply reduce the conversion of testosterone, which is a primary fuel for prostate cancer, into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is a far more potent fuel for prostate cancer. Neither are approved for treating prostate cancer, but some medical oncologists use them as part of an anti-prostate cancer program. Though mild, if either has undesirable side effects, they can be stopped, and the side effect should go away. My recollection is that the dose of Proscar is 5X the dose of Propecia, used to enhance hair regrowth. (I did have that nice side effect.)

Old 07-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

John, do you recall if you had difficulty in switching to a vegan diet?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #9
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Correction: In a previous post I mentioned that animal protein promotes growth because of Interleukin Growth Factor 1 (IGF 1). That was a mistake.

Animal protein contains Insulin-like Growth Factor 1. (IGF 1)

That makes more sense because high levels of insulin promote growth. Insulin is a growth factor. So growth is also promoted by eating lots of sugar, grain, corn, rice and white potatoes. Insulin in proper amounts serves a purpose but excess insulin can be very damaging.

As I said, I became a vegan when I learned about this. Was it difficult? No, I didn't think it was too difficult, mainly because I really like fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds. I just have to use some self control so as not to overdo the grains and nuts. (I don't use any oil or commercial dressings, I just get my fats from nuts and seeds.)

The first month was the hardest because I really had to figure it out for myself. I didn't follow any recipes. I just cooked up lots of vegetables and made salads. I don't like following recipes.

I think it's worth the effort. I enjoy what I eat and at age 77 I am in excellent health. I don't need to take any prescription medications - not even over the counter medication. My doctor once told me that if everyone was like me, he'd be out of business. :-)

One last thing: Being overweight or having a high percentage of body fat will increase one's risk of getting cancer and other degenerative diseases.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-03-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
    malikof
    (male)

malikof HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IADT3since2000 View Post
    Proscar for many years and Avodart more recently have been part of my therapy program since September 2000, continuously. Both sharply reduce the conversion of testosterone, which is a primary fuel for prostate cancer, into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is a far more potent fuel for prostate cancer. Neither are approved for treating prostate cancer, but some medical oncologists use them as part of an anti-prostate cancer program. Though mild, if either has undesirable side effects, they can be stopped, and the side effect should go away. My recollection is that the dose of Proscar is 5X the dose of Propecia, used to enhance hair regrowth. (I did have that nice side effect.)
    In my whole life studies and research there is only one herbal cure/protection with history of one 5000 years and the fact that it's the only medication that work on prostate related problems. And that is Epilobium parviflorum. It's natural alternative with NO side effects. It's available as tea, as well as capsules.
    Additionally vitamin E 1200IU once daily it's great help. It's blood thinner and antioxidant. NEVER take Aspirin if you need your kidneys to keep working.
    As additional protection; which I prescribe for most 50+ patients is: Curcuma Longa Q-15 drops plus piper Nigrum Q-5 drops daily. It's a tested overall protection.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Minimal Research on Epilobium Parviflorum and Prostate Cancer – Many Proven Medications

Nutrition has been a significant part of my anti-prostate cancer tactics from 2000 to the present, and I try to follow developments, especially in research; but I had never heard of epilobium parviflorum. I did a search for it on www.pubmed.gov, which picks up subjects from medical research journals all over the world, and got citations for only 18 papers. Frankly, that is a very low number for an unfiltered search. I then added "AND prostate cancer" to the search string, and that reduced the number of hits to just 2, both by the same research team, one of which did not involve research in actual human patients, and the other of which appeared to be a lab or animal study, though human patients may have been involved. Both papers were published in 2013, and the lack of any follow-up research does not demonstrate enthusiasm for epilobium parviflorum by researchers. Many of the other papers addressed the use of epilobium parviflorum for BPH and prostatitis, neither of which, of course, is prostate cancer. In short, there appears to be no credible evidence, at this time, supporting epilobium parviflorum for prostate cancer.

Compare this scanty research record to the research done on pomegranate and prostate cancer. I just searched for – pomegranate AND prostate cancer – and got 20 hits after applying filters for Abstract, Humans, [Search] Field: Title. If we apply the filter for clinical trials, we see two Phase II and one Phase III trials for pomegranate. Unfortunately, as with so many nutrients and supplements, which are tough to do trials on anyway, the results were mainly negative in the key Phase III trial ; I am still interested in pomegranate supplements, but I am not taking one at present. (If we do the first search but filter for appearance of the terms in either the title or the abstract, we see 67 hits for pomegranate and prostate cancer – a decent amount of activity.) My personal conclusion is that epilobium parviflorum, at this time, has no credible evidence indicating it is of value against prostate cancer. Moreover, while that may change in the future, at present there appears to be almost no interest in it by the tens of thousands of cancer researchers in the world, the vast majority of whom are hungry for an agent that will prove valuable.

Regarding whether there is only one medication that works for prostate cancer , there are actually many medications that work on prostate cancer, as well as on BPH and sometimes on prostatitis. And fortunately these medications are backed by rigorous and convincing research, which is a requirement prior to approval by the US Food and Drug Administration; European agencies also have approved most or all of these drugs, though the names may be different. Here are just some that anyone can check out: Proscar/finasteride (approved for BPH but with good evidence of action against prostate cancer), Avodart®/dutasteride (approved for BPH but with good evidence of action against prostate cancer), Lupron®, Zoladex®, Eligard®, Viadur®, Trelstar®, Firmagon®/degarelix, Casodex®/bicalutamide, flutamide, nilutamide, Xtandi®/enzalutamide, Erleada®/apalutamide, Glucophage®/metformin (approved for diabetes but with good evidence of action against prostate cancer), Provenge®, docetaxel, Jevtana®/cabazataxel, and Xofigo®. Details on these medications at www.fda.gov, and research can be viewed at www.pubmed.gov.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #12
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Exclamation Re: What are some great ways to prevent prostate cancer?

Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer - An Important Caution, Diminished Enthusiasm

Let's look at the caution right up front, because there is proven danger here. The danger relates to the dose of vitamin E: because it is an effective blood thinning agent, high doses create a risk for a type of stroke and also for difficulty in stopping bleeding, which can be a serious concern if someone is involved in an accident or must have sudden surgery without an opportunity to reduce the amount of vitamin E in the blood with the passage of time. My understanding is that a dose of up to 400 IU a day is considered safe, and higher doses may be safe for some of us. Moreover, the most commonly available form of vitamin E is known as alpha tocopherol, and taking too much of that depletes the gamma tocopherol form of vitamin E, which some evidence suggests is the form most beneficial in an anti-prostate cancer program. Additionally, there is some evidence that taking more than 2000 IU per day interferes with absorption of vitamin A.

Some doctors and researchers consider somewhat higher doses to be safe. A dose of 1200 IU might be safe for some people, indeed, the US NIH states that 1,500 IU is the upper limit for adults (though reporting research indicating risk), but I believe that anyone taking that much should talk to an informed medical professional. Here is the US government's National Institutes of Health updated (2018) view of vitamin E: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminE-HealthProfessional/#h7

I took a combination form of vitamin E, which was high in gamma tocopherol, at a dose of 200 IU for many years, as some evidence suggested it helped against prostate cancer. I stopped taking it due to concerns raised by research, but I have not checked for updated research in recent years. I lost enthusiasm after results of the SELECT trial were published and analyzed in subsequent research. However, that trial was based on using the alpha tocopherol form rather than the arguably superior gamma form or combination, and the initially studied dose - 400 IU - was arguably too high for safety in the group being studied. I got 73 hits searching www.pubmed.gov for - vitamin E AND prostate cancer AND SELECT – with filters for abstracts and humans. Adding the filter for clinical trial reduces the hits to 17.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #13
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Studies: Phytochemicals from Cruciferous Vegetables Demonstrate Reduced Risk of Prostate Cancer.

I include one or two servings of cruciferous vegetables in my diet every day. Broccoli is supposed to be especially good. But I alternate between different vegetables so as not to get bored.

Caution: Raw cruciferous vegetables can block the absorption of iodine, and your thyroid needs iodine in order to function properly. Most iodine comes from seafood, so if you're a vegan and don't eat seafood you need to be careful. Although, you can still get some iodine from iodized salt.

All vegetables are supposed to contain some iodine but it's not a reliable source because it depends on where the vegetables were grown. Some soils are depleted and that's why we have iodized salt.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-05-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Word changes

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    IADT3since2000 (07-05-2018)
    Old 07-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #14
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi John - regarding your post on cruciferous vegetables: I had not known about blocking iodine before. I steam my broccoli and cauliflower for ten minutes. Do you know if that would take care of the blocking problem? Yes, it is the most boring part of my meal, but I add mustard to increase absorption, and using honey-Dijon mustard gives that part of my lunch an appealing taste.

I just did a quick check of the nutrient sulforaphane, contained in these vegetables, to see if it was still a live interest for prostate cancer researchers. Using this search string - sulforaphane AND prostate cancer - I got 105 hits at www.pubmed.gov, many of them recent.

The Following User Says Thank You to IADT3since2000 For This Useful Post:
    JohnR41 (07-07-2018)
    Old 07-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #15
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Cooking cruciferous vegetables so as not to block iodine absorption is supposed to work fairly well. Is it 100% effective? I don't know. I've read lots of articles and I'm still not sure. But from what I understand, as long as you cook the vegetables and don't make a big meal of them, you should be okay. That's why I try not to eat more than one serving for lunch and one serving for dinner (one serving being about 1/2 a cup). And as long as you have enough iodine in your diet, you should be okay.

The method I use is to cut up the broccoli and wait 40 minutes before cooking. Then I can cook them thoroughly and the heat is not supposed to destroy the sulforaphane. They usually say "chop" or "hack" but never exactly explain how small the pieces should be.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-07-2018 at 07:08 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    IADT3since2000 (07-07-2018)
    Reply Reply