It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Back pain, hip pain etc. From Enlarged prostrate or cancer spreading

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
    mikeyb333
    (male)

mikeyb333 HB User
    Back pain, hip pain etc. From Enlarged prostrate or cancer spreading

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for some advice really.
    I have enlarged prostrate of 90cc
    PSA steadily rising from start of 4.7 in 2011 to 9.6 recently.
    MRI scan in Oct 18 showed patchy p3 (not sure what that meant) but rest clear

My starting symptoms were dribbling, weak flow and not empining properly and gradually over the years I have put up with it as an inconvenience really.

However, In May I suddenly had major back ache and since then I have had hip pain, pelvis pain, front thigh pain, all swapping almost hour by hour. In fact, sine then, I haven't had one painless day.

I worried about Bone cancer as I know prostrate cancer can spread, but I thought it was slow growing.
    And, I haven't been diagnosed with cancer anyway.

So my question is, can you have these pains from enlarged prostrate or could it be cancer spreading?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    Re: Back pain, hip pain etc. From Enlarged prostrate or cancer spreading

Hi mikeyb333, welcome to the Board!

Iíll put the bottom line up front: while the pains may very well not be due to either prostate cancer or benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH, in other words, as you no doubt know, benign enlargement), they definitely deserve evaluation and very soon, in my laymanís opinion. If it were me, I would be on the phone today to make an appointment. Prostate cancer and BPH can both cause pain, but so can many other problems.

You have a very large prostate at 90 cc, as you likely know; completely normal is in the 20 Ė 30 cc range. Do you know what the 90 cc volume was based on? Sometimes experienced urologists will give an estimate based on the DRE (Digital Rectal Exam), but basing it on an ultrasound or MRI is much more accurate.

The rule of thumb for PSA produced by non-cancerous prostate cells is that you divide the volume in cc or grams by 10 to get that PSA, and then subtract that number from your PSA result to get an estimate of PSA that may be associated with prostate cancer. (Iím basing this on books Iíve read.) By that method, a prostate of 90 cc would be associated with a PSA not likely to be associated with cancer of about 9, which is reasonably close to your result of 9.6. Itís not an exact art. Also, a gradual (non-exponential) increase in PSA over years associated with BPH is consistent with the increase you have seen, again in my laymanís opinion. If you post your PSA results and test dates over the years, someone here may be able to help point to what the pattern of increase means.

The urinary symptoms could be cancer, but they seem much more likely to be entirely or mostly due to the BPH.

There might be cancer involved, and itís worth checking out your overall situation, but Iím thinking the odds are somewhat tilted against cancer.

Iím not sure what a ďpatchy p3Ē result is on MRI. Iím thinking the MRI was done for a reason other than suspicion of prostate cancer. Do you know why it was ordered? Maybe someone else participating in this Board will explain it. The kind of MRI done often these days to help decide whether a prostate biopsy is needed is known as a multiparametric MRI (mpMRI), and it would be focused on the prostate; the result would usually be expressed as a ďPI-RADSĒ score ranging from 1 to 5, with supporting information. You could call your doctorís office and ask for more information about your own previous MRI result and what it might mean.

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
    mikeyb333
    (male)

mikeyb333 HB User
    Re: Back pain, hip pain etc. From Enlarged prostrate or cancer spreading

TY for your thoughts.

Here in the UK you have to wait for an appointment. One's been ordered but could be a month or two or longer even.

I would have expected my doctor to have ordered an x ray on my back maybe. to be fair, he didn't look very convinced and I had to literally plead with him to send me back to urology.

I suppose it's all down to money as it's still free for patients here, but all surgeries and hospitals are under massive strain from government cut backs.

Anyway, the back pain is still constant, with lesser hip, pelvis and groin pain intermittent.
    I really don't like it and I would be very surprised if nothing to do with prostrate. I'm kinda hoping it might be due to Enlarged prostrate but I haven't heard of this causing these sorts of pains, but maybe they do, I don't know.

I will let you know the outcome of anything.

Reply Reply