It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Prostate Biopsy or MRI

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
    mark4man
    (male)

mark4man HB User
    Prostate Biopsy or MRI

hello all...

If an MRI is the be all/end all in determining prostate cancer...why do I need a biopsy...???...why can't I just go right to the MRI...???

Background: 67 years old. My PSA was at 5.5. My urologist performed a cystoscopy; & said that everything was normal, but to keep an eye on my PSA. It went up to 8.2, so he ordered a biopsy. He tells me that if the biopsy comes back clean, but my PSA remains high (or goes up)...then I will need an MRI.

So...why do I need to put myself thru such an invasive technique, if an MRI can fully determine prostate cancer. Biopsy side effects range from blood in the urine to not being able to urinate & a bunch of other scary things.

please help...thanx,

mark4man

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Prostate Biopsy or MRI

I think your suspicions are well founded. In my opinion, your doctor has it backwards. MRI should come first. If a biopsy is done first and then followed by an MRI, small patches of blood can be mistaken for tumors.

Here's a thought: Doing the biopsy first guarantees that the doctor will get to do the procedure. If the MRI is done first and shows you don't have cancer, he won't get to do a biopsy. Does that make sense? That's the only reason I can think of for doing the biopsy first.

A possible objection to doing an MRI first might be that it costs more. But an MRI offers greater precision and may spare you the ordeal of having a biopsy procedure.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:51 AM   #3
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    Re: Prostate Biopsy or MRI

Hi mark4man,

Multiparametric MRIs are not yet considered the acid test for prostate cancer, and having an mpMRI is not yet standard procedure per guidelines that doctors follow. That said, it makes sense to me also to try to have a mpMRI done first. I too think the results might enable you to avoid or at least postpone that biopsy.

Good luck!

Reply Reply