It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• PSA concern?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
    mauifloyd
    (male)

mauifloyd HB User
    PSA concern?

I went to my primary care provider about prostrate concerns. My PSA test showed a 11.2 value. Can anyone comment on weather this shluld have concerned him to a point of "you need to get this looked at asap"? I told my therapist about this (a Dr of some sort) and he advised me to see a urologist ASAP - so I have an upcoming appt. In short I'm not too happy with my GP (a friend as well) due to his lack of concern and thus subsequent time lost in possible treatment. Any comments? Thinking I need a new GP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    Re: PSA concern?

Hi mauifloyd and welcome to the Board!

Your screen name makes me envious!

That value, at 11.2, is high enough to warrant some urgency. Several things can elevate PSA to this extent: infection, benign growth (BPH), prostate cancer, or a combination of these. Infection is the most common; it can drive PSA up fast and very high, into the double and even triple digits; often PSAs elevated due to infection fluctuate; they can drop as fast as they have risen as the infection wanes and waxes. If due mainly to cancer, a PSA a little above 10 is a sign of likely moderate risk rather than mild risk.

A trip to a urologist is a wise next step.

Good luck! Jim

The Following User Says Thank You to IADT3since2000 For This Useful Post:
    mauifloyd (09-09-2019)
    Old 09-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
    Kahps
    (male)

Kahps HB User
    Re: PSA concern?

Get checked by the urologist.
    My GP kept throwing antibiotics at me thinking it was an infection and I had a psa of 4.3. After several months of it, his nursed suggested to me in a very strong manner, to go to a urologist to get checked.
    I had stage 2 prostate cancer.
    So go get checked.

Reply Reply