It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• PSA went up to <.10 after 3 years of <.01

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
    Kahps
    (male)

Kahps HB User
    PSA went up to <.10 after 3 years of <.01

I had my prostate removed in 2015 and in 2016 when my psa went up to .03 at that piont I had radiation treatment. After that my test results have been consistent at <.01 Which is considered 0 by the doctor
    I just had a psa test result of <.10
    My appt with the doctor. is in 2 weeks to review the results, so I have time to over think everything.
    Seems like if the test where less than <.10 it should be displaying a number without using a less than symbol, because the machine reads .01-4.0
    I can't help but wonder if it was entered into the patient portal website wrong.
    The other thing I'm being treated for skin cancer the non-serious type. I've been using Fluorouracil 5% cream for 4 weeks which is a chemotherapy type drug. Could that of effected the results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    Re: PSA went up to <.10 after 3 years of <.01

Hi Kahps and welcome to the Board!

I suspect the wrong test was ordered: a conventional test instead of an ultrasensitive PSA test with a reliable range down to <0.01. I've been at this now for nearly 20 years, and the testing has been reliable, but not perfect. Occasionally the wrong test has been ordered, and once there was clearly a lab error, which really scared both my wife and me. I have also been given wrong results over the phone, but never actually printed wrong via my portal. You could simply call tomorrow, rather than waiting two weeks, and ask if the wrong test was ordered. It might be possible for the lab to use the same vial of blood but do a more sensitive test.

Good luck! Jim

Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
    Kahps
    (male)

Kahps HB User
    Re: PSA went up to <.10 after 3 years of <.01

Thanks for the reply, sometimes all you need is the voice of reason.
    I think I just needed to take a deep breath. I called the lab and the doctors nurse with questions and I got the same answer "you need to talk to the doctor we can't discuss lab results with the patient." Should known that would be the answer.
    When I was seeing the oncologist for radiation treatment, he was sending me to a local medical group for a PSA test that only had a sensitivity down to .1 which he was fine with. After my radiation treatments where over with and I went back to my urologist he would send me to get my test at the same place he was practicing. Which has a more sensitive reading down to .01
    So something as far as the testing must of changed since my last test. Maybe they got a new machine, a different standard was used or it's a typo. It is kinda curious it was reported as <.10 and not just <.1
    I'll post a update after my appointment.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kahps:
    IADT3since2000 (09-11-2019)
    Reply Reply