It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Shoulder Pain after Robotic Laproscopic Prostatectomy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
    thatcher23
    (male)

thatcher23 HB User
    Shoulder Pain after Robotic Laproscopic Prostatectomy

Hello all, first post here. I had robotic laproscopic prostatectomy to remove my prostate this past Monday Dec. 9. The surgery went well. I spent one night in the hospital, and now recovering at home.

I expected pain where the 5 incisions were made, and its manageable. What I didn't expect was the really bad shoulder pain. My understanding from researching this is that it caused by the injection of carbon dioxide into the abdomen to make the prostate and related area more visible during surgery. Apparently some residual CO2 stays in the body and travels via nerve endings, usually to the shoulders. It's a weird pain because it comes and goes. I'm almost 4 days post-surgery, and I wonder when this pain will be gone. I tried rubbing on some capsacin cream (like in Zostrix) which seems to help.

Does anyone have ideas on when this shoulder pain may go away? Any suggestions on what works to manage the pain would be helpful. Thanks Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2019, 03:52 AM   #2
    CancerousOne
    (male)

CancerousOne HB User
    Re: Shoulder Pain after Robotic Laproscopic Prostatectomy

Kim,

The body will process out the CO2. You can help it along by moving your body.

The Following User Says Thank You to CancerousOne For This Useful Post:
    thatcher23 (12-13-2019)
    Old 12-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
    thatcher23
    (male)

thatcher23 HB User

Thanks, Iím doing several short neighborhood walks every day, and so that should help process out the CO2. Every recovery day I seem to be slowly feeling better. The 5 stomach incisions itch a bit, but thatís a sign that they are healing. I think the incision area will be sore for a couple of weeks.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

The more you walk, the faster the CO2 will dissipate and the pain will be gone.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
    thatcher23
    (male)

thatcher23 HB User

Good tip! I am walking often and it does seem to help. Minimal shoulder pain today day 5 after surgery. Also, my bowels finally moved yesterday and that really helped with the gas pains.Recovering well, but slowly.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
    DjinTonic
    (male)

DjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB User

I haven't heard about CO2 traveling along nerve fibers, but i've seen posts from others who had simlar, probably "referred pain" to the shoulders after their RP. Once in a while when recovering after my open RP I had a very short twinge at the tip of the penis -- nothing very troubling. When I asked my doc about it at a visit, he agreed that it was referred pain. You can Google it if you want details of how a irriation/injury at one place in the body is felt in an altogether different location.

As said, the MO ral for gas pain: more walking.

Djin
    6-28-17 Bx #10: 2/14 cores: G10 (5+5) 50% RB, G9 (4+5) 3% RLM
    Nodule negative for PCa. Bone scan, CTs, X-rays: neg.
    8-7-17 Open RP, neg. frozen sections, Duke Regional Hosp.
    SM EPE BNI LVI SVI LNI(5L, 11R): negative, PNI+, nerves spared
    pT2c pN0 pMX, G9 (4+5) 5% of prostate (4.5x5x4 cm, 64 g)
    Dry; ED OK with sildenafil
    11-10-17 Decipher 0.37 Low Risk; 5-yr met risk 2.4%, 10-yr PCa mortality 3.3%
    LabCorp uPSA: 0.010 (3 mo.)Ö0.015 (1 yr. 6 mo.)Ö0.015 (2 yr. 4 mo.)

Old 12-30-2019, 01:05 AM   #7
    HighlanderCFH
    (male)

HighlanderCFH has disabled reputation

I'm pretty sure that I've heard other patients, on the sister site, mention that they had shoulder pain after surgery.

The CO2 can work its way all over the place and cause some discomfort until it bids audios.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:19 AM   #8
    djust
    (male)

djust HB User

Most of my pain post op was gas in my belly I couldn't get rid of but I also had some sharp pains in my right shoulder.

I had read about the shoulder pain before surgery and thought it would be just ache like pain but it was sharp pain like someone was stabbing me but didn't last long each time it happened.

Like said before walking is your friend, I struggled a lot walking the first few days but it got better, just have to keep getting up and doing it.
    Luckily I had a wife that pushed me.
    PSA 5.3 11-18 PSA 6.01 2-19 PSA 6.73 6-19
    3T MRI 6-19 MRI Guided Fushion Biopsy 19 cores 7-18-19
    Left Mid Lat 3+4 3mm 25% Left Apex Lat 3+4 2mm 15% ROI RM TZA 3+4 17MM 27%
    PSA week before surgery 11-5-19 7.6
    RALP 11-11-2019 MD Anderson
    pT2
    First Post Surgery PSA .064 12-24-2019 Local URO
    First Post Surgery PSA from Surgeon at
    MDA 2-11-20 0.0

Old 01-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #9
    Insanus
    (male)

Insanus HB User

The source is not your shoulders, but Heating pads on the shoulders does help.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
    Prostatefree
    (male)

Prostatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB User

The gas used to inflate the abdomen and not fully expelled after the procedure roils around internally and rises to the shoulders if you are upright most of the day. It settles into what ever position you are in for a period of time and you don't notice it. When you roll around or sit up it rolls around or floats up as well and causes discomfort.

Walk it off. The movement will dissipate it. It can take a few days.
    5-4-16 DaVinci RP, Path-65g, lymph nodes, seminal vesicles, capsule, margin all neg, G3+4, T vol 35%, +pT2c, No Incontinence-6mos, Erections-14 months;
    12-8-19 PSA less than 0.02, zero club 3.5 yrs

Old 01-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #11
    Michael F
    (male)

Michael F HB UserMichael F HB UserMichael F HB UserMichael F HB User

Hi thatcher23! Hope the shoulder discomfort has lessened. Following RP, I had no pain. My abdominal wall was very sore for about 10 days. It felt like I had done 5,000 sit-ups and then Mike Tyson used it as a punching bag for 3 rounds!!! And I went into surgery in top physical condition.

During laparoscopic surgery, one's abdominal cavity is "overinflated" with CO2. This serves 2 purposes:

1. Allows for retraction of the viscera for optimal exposure to the prostate gland

2. By pressurizing the abdominal cavity above one's diastolic pressure, venous bleeding is minimized. Thus there is typically far less blood loss than "Open" surgery.

The only post RP issue I had was watching a comedy movie. Trying to not laugh was a challenge!

Good luck with your recovery. Once you are liberated from your catheter, you will feel like a new human being!

Best wishes for a favorable Path Report.

MF
    Pathology: Gleason (3+4) pT3a pNO pMX pRO c tertiary pattern 5 / Prostate Size = 32 grams / Tumor = Bilateral: 20% / PNI: present
    uPSA Range: 0.017 - 0.032 at 94 Months Post Op: Mean = 0.023 (n = 23)
    LabCorp: Ultrasensitive PSA: Roche ECLIA
    Continence = Very Good (≥ 99%) ED = present

Old 01-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #12
    corybaby
    (male)

corybaby HB User

Hi All
    Had Robotic Prostatectomy, the 21st , no pain at all (barely any) in the hospital, one 5 mg norco about 2 in the afternoon after i woke from surgery, walked around the unit 3 separate times about 15 min worth each time.
    It was after i went home about 24 hours after the procedure, It was the shoulder pain, cold frozen hands, and my whole abdomen hurt ...after about 8 hours of that i was ok again and slept like a baby (except worrying about the cath)
    Had the cath removed 6 days later (thank **** for that) ... trying to control the water wiggle wasnt fun.
    A week later its a lot better but still using a pad 24 hours, although sleeping has been no problem, i awaken with the usual urge, clamp down and walk to the bowl and go like normal.. during the day when doing things, working in the yard, garage around the house im still soaking pads, about 4-5 a day..
    Still doing walking and Kegals daily
    Hoping it will get back to normal in Cali

thanks for any replies
    Cory In Calif 60
    Update: Gleason 8 stage t3
    Path reports in:
    No excapsular ext
    Neg lymph
    Neg seminal vesicles. Gleason downgraded to 7
    Relieved in calif

Last edited by corybaby; 01-24-2020 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Update

Old 01-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #13
    thatcher23
    (male)

thatcher23 HB User

I'm happy to report that I'm at 6 weeks post robotic laprascopic prostatectomy
    and recovering nicely. My aggressive Gleeson 9 cancer was absolutely confined to within the prostate capsule. I had the best surgeon- he was able to do complete nerve-sparing on one side and partial nerve sparing on the other! My 6 week post-op Ultrasensitive PSA result was .02,which although is not undetectable,it's still less than .05, which is a critical threshold. So I have to get another PSA at 3 months, another at 6 months, and probably more biannually or yearly thereafter to ensure there is no reoccurrence. I've been able to start lifting light weighta again, a ton of walking, and lot of floor exercises. Continuing with Kegels and have to be patient for sexual function to return. Overall, we are pretty damn happy about the outcome!

Reply Reply