It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Many New Members May be Joining PC Forum

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-14-2019, 04:39 AM   #1
    HighlanderCFH
    (male)

HighlanderCFH has disabled reputation
    Many New Members May be Joining PC Forum

Greetings,

My name is Chuck and I am the moderator at HealthBoards' sister site known as CancerForums.net. We have been advised that CancerForums will be discontinued on Dec. 31 and have been invited to migrate over to HealthBoards.

After more than 7,000 personal posts over the past 8 years, I am sad to see CancerForums being dropped, but am glad that there is a place for our members to go.

The CancerForums Prostate Cancer forum is an EXTREMELY busy forum and is also very informative and friendly. I'm sure it will be a very positive development for this forum if many of our members transfer their activity here.

We do have literally dozens and dozens of new posts every day and, if many members come here, the activity level here will be boosted exponentially. We particularly enjoy helping newly diagnosed prostate cancer patients who are just starting down the road we have traveled -- and are very eager to help alleviate their fears with our knowledge and experience.

There is no better feeling than being told by a new member that we have given them their first full night of sleep since being diagnosed. And I would hope that this goal will continue here in the HealthBoards Prostate Cancer Forum.

I'm not sure if I'll be the moderator here, or even if I'll participate very much after 8 years of posting. But, whether or not I'm active here, I wish this forum the very best -- and hopefully with many CancerForum PC members joining the community here.

Take care,
    Chuck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    Re: Many New Members May be Joining PC Forum

Welcome to the Board, Chuck!

I'm sure that many of us are looking forward to participation by those who will be coming over.

I dearly hope you and the others who have been helping answer questions will continue to do that here. An exchange of experience from different viewpoints enhances empowerment of patients; I am convinced that empowerment is very important, sometimes vitally important, for many patients.

Jim

The Following User Says Thank You to IADT3since2000 For This Useful Post:
    Moderator1 (12-17-2019)
    Old 12-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
    CancerousOne
    (male)

CancerousOne HB User

Jim,

Like Highlander, I'm going to be another refugee.

Question for you just in case one of our other members decides to port over as well. We were able to get a sub forum added where one of our users then posted an incredible treasure trove of research material, since this forum also runs on vbulletin I'm assuming it might be possible to do that here?

Mike

Last edited by CancerousOne; 12-14-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
    CancerousOne
    (male)

CancerousOne HB User

Jim,

Great username!

Mike

Old 12-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Cultural differences between this Board and your current Board:

I am not a Board moderator, but I have participated on a number of boards in the past twenty years and have experienced different sets of rules, so I am familiar with the extra effort it takes to learn the ropes on a new site. It is important to read the rules here, but I expect that some newcomers will trip up and get a notice from the administrators; if so, donít be discouraged. While the rules are somewhat constraining, they do vastly reduce attempts at advertising, off subject responses, and other disruptive posts. It is clear that your board has had many informative and supportive discussions with input from a lot of savvy survivors, and I hope that you and they will find a home here.

Here are some pointers I have learned from the posted rules and the School of Hard Knocks taught by our dedicated administrators:[LIST]
    • you canít name docs, facilities, or books;
    • you need to respond to inquiry and not to other responses, so you will likely miss the brotherly dialog, though an indirect response that provides information relevant to the original poster to that response can be provided;
    • you can cite studies from government sources, such as www.pubmed.gov;
    • you canít refer to other boards;
    • you can provide the foregoing information directly (instead of on the Board) via private message once you have posted enough to enable that feature.
    This is not a complete list; the rules are more comprehensive, but I think this captures some of the differences Iím seeing.

I hope the administrators will allow you to keep the name of your current board up as it is for the purpose of transition to this board as your current board disappears.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CancerousOne View Post
    Jim,

Like Highlander, I'm going to be another refugee.

Question for you just in case one of our other members decides to port over as well. We were able to get a sub forum added where one of our users then posted an incredible treasure troves of research material, since this forum also runs on bulletin I'm assuming it might be possible to do that here?

Mike
    Hi Mike and welcome to the Board!

That would be a great feature, and I have done that myself with other connections, but I do not think it is possible here. I hope I'm wrong and that someone will post about a way to do that; maybe it will be one of you new guys who are coming over. It is possible to refer to specific studies or search string for www.pubmed.gov which provides descriptions in English (or sometimes links to complete copies) of research published all over the world. I use that here a lot.

You have a catchy username too. I thought my username would be applicable forever, but in 2013, with improving imaging and radiation technology, I was able to take a shot at a cure, which apparently has been successful (6 1/2 years now). For many years after my diagnosis that was my hope but not my belief; it still sometimes seems unreal. I haven't been on ADT since the spring of 2014, though I continue with Avodart as part of my shield against recurrence.

Jim

Old 12-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #7
    HighlanderCFH
    (male)

Thank you, Jim.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Old 12-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #8
    OldTiredSailor
    (male)

OldTiredSailor HB User

I too am an transfer from the other group and was an active poster. I do have a couple questions:

Quote:
    you canít name docs, facilities, or books;
    Does that mean I cannot use a doctors or facilities name to describe their research or experience?

A frequent question / discussion topic is the wide choice of treatments and where to go for those treatments. How does this board deal with that vital topic?

Quote:
    you need to respond to inquiry and not to other responses, so you will likely miss the brotherly dialog, though an indirect response that provides information relevant to the original poster to that response can be provided;
    The "other place" was a great source of emotional comfort and support for new members and those of us receiving bad news after treatment. Are you saying "soft" or "non-specific" discussions are discouraged here? Facts and ONLY facts?

Quote:
    you can cite studies from government sources, such as www.pubmed.gov;
    Can we not cite studies in professional journals or academic sources if we give due credit? I do a lot of research and frequently cite statistics and findings from non-government sources but always with full attribution. How else can we judge the quality of the research and findings if we don't know the source?

Thanks for any insight

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldTiredSailor For This Useful Post:
    IADT3since2000 (12-17-2019),Moderator1 (12-17-2019)
    Old 12-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #9
    Moderator1

Moderator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB User

I will begin a discussion with the owners to see if changes might be made to the rules.

The Following User Says Thank You to Moderator1 For This Useful Post:
    IADT3since2000 (12-17-2019)
    Old 12-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #10
    Moderator1

Moderator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB UserModerator1 HB User

Okay, the rules here will be very much the same as on Cancer Forums.

You may post your Doctor's names and facilities. Websites will be allowed. You may cite your sources and link to them.

Thank you and welcome to HealthBoards.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moderator1 For This Useful Post:
    ASAdvocate (12-18-2019),IADT3since2000 (12-17-2019)
    Old 12-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #11
    HighlanderCFH
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moderator1 View Post
    Okay, the rules here will be very much the same as on Cancer Forums.

You may post your Doctor's names and facilities. Websites will be allowed. You may cite your sources and link to them.

Thank you and welcome to HealthBoards.

I'm glad to see that some of us are already coming over from CancerForums. Indeed, we are a very warm, friendly PC community and would hope very much to contribute to this forum in the exact same spirit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighlanderCFH For This Useful Post:
    IADT3since2000 (12-17-2019),Moderator1 (12-17-2019)
    Old 12-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #12
    CancerousOne
    (male)

CancerousOne HB User

Moderator1,

Thank you for discussing the deviations with the owners for us newbies. We'll be good.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CancerousOne For This Useful Post:
    ASAdvocate (12-18-2019),Moderator1 (12-17-2019)
    Old 12-19-2019, 04:07 AM   #13
    Steve135
    (male)

Steve135 HB User

Hi, I too Like Highlander, I'm going to be another refugee. From some readings of this Prostate forum I'm hopping our group will spark some fire to this board? From my first views it just doen't have the activity of The Cancer Forums. Hoping this goes well as I received lots of great info and have giving out lots of great info in the past. Reading the rules was just a reason not to join! So much for my #1 post
    steve d

The following user gives a hug of support to Steve135:
    IADT3since2000 (12-19-2019)
    Old 12-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #14
    Old but Wilde
    (male)

Old but Wilde HB User

Hi all, and Hi Chuck, I am also here now, used to be only "Wilde" but I had to change it a bit, but it is me..

Old 12-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #15
    Prostatefree
    (male)

Prostatefree HB UserProstatefree HB User

New member from the other forum. Known there as Another.
    5-4-16 DaVinci RP, Path-65g, lymph nodes, seminal vesicles, capsule, margin all neg, G3+4, T vol 35%, +pT2c, No Incontinence-6mos, Erections-14 months;
    12-8-19 PSA less than 0.02, zero club 3.5 yrs

Reply Reply