It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• When Does the Day After A Night of Severe Rectal Incontinence Feel So Good?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #61
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: When Does the Day After A Night of Severe Rectal Incontinence Feel So Good?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IADT3since2000 View Post
    Hi again John. I'm responding to your post of 3:05 pm. You wrote:

That is an extremely broad statement about animal protein, which you are applying to all cancers, that is not well supported by evidence and is, in fact, partially contradicted by evidence. Please see the Third Expert Report described earlier on this thread.
    I think it's ok to make that broad statement because all animal protein stimulates the body to produce the growth hormone called Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 (IGF1) and that hormone is not selective. It promotes a fast turnover of cells throughout the body and simultaneously interferes with the immune system's ability to find cancer cells and kill them. (Apoptosis) This is systemic.

Quote:
    As I mentioned earlier, enthusiasm (which I, as a prostate cancer survivor, shared in earlier years) among medical researchers and physicians for Dr. Campbell's thought provoking China Study has declined as more evidence became available and more analyses were performed. For instance, regarding "eggs and dairy", recent informed opinion (Third Expert Report, 2018) is that dairy products are beneficial against colorectal cancer ("Probable decreased risk"), possibly beneficial against pre-menopausal breast cancer ("Limited - suggestive decreases risk"), and possibly harmful for prostate cancer ("Limited - suggestive increases risk"). While there have been many studies, the Third Expert Report did not indicate any suggestive trend of evidence for 16 other listed types of cancer for dairy products!
    Doing research to find that eggs are good for the colon but not the prostate is not something I would worry about, that's reductionism. And anything you get from eggs can be gotten from plant foods too. So I wouldn't spend time on that.

Quote:
    I always strive to only make statements that I can support with the evidence that is currently considered to be of good quality. I strive to avoid unsupportable statements and to update what I formerly thought was established that has become questionable or flatly now considered incorrect.
    The only problem with that is no one person or organization can possibly be aware of all the evidence. I have read this in a book about scientific studies. And I have had first hand experience. When I called the American Cancer Society to ask if they were aware of The China Study, they had never heard of it. I was told they only follow certain journals. Not that Dr. Campbell wasn't published in good journals, they said, its just that they cannot possibly follow everything. However, they said their doctors would read the book and call me back to let me know what they think of the lifestyle. A couple weeks later I got a call from them and they said they thought the recommended lifestyle-diet was good.

I didn't recommend the China Study to you because I thought it was 100% perfect. I don't think any book is going to be 100% perfect, especially 15 years after publication. I recommended it because I thought you were just beginning to study nutrition and I thought The China Study would give you a good foundation. Then I could always recommend more up-to-date books later.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Diagnosis Dec 1999 PSA 113.6 (first ever), age 56
    Gleason 4+3=7 (J. Epstein, JHU), all cores +, most 100%; "rock hard" prostate with ECE - stage 3, PNI, PSADT determined later 3-4 months; technetium bone scan and CT scan negative; prognosis 5 years.
    Later ProstaScint scan negative except for one suspicious small area in an unlikely location. ADT Lupron as first therapy, in Dec 1999, then + Casodex in March 2000, then + Proscar and Fosamax in Sep 2000. Rejected for surgery January 2000; offered radiation but told success odds were low; switched to ADT only vice radiation in May 2000, betting on holding the fort for improved technology; PSA gradual decline to <0.01 May 2002. Commenced intermittent ADT3 (IADT3) with first vacation from Lupron & Casodex. Negative advanced scans in 2011 (NaF18 PET/CT for bone) and 2012 (Feraheme USPIO for nodes and soft tissue). With improved technology, tried TomoTherapy RT, 39 sessions, in early 2013, plus ADT 3 in support for 18 months (fourth round of IADT3), ended April 2014. Continuing with Avodart as anti-recurrence shield. Current PSA remarkably low at <0.01; apparently cured.. Supportive diet/nutrition, exercise, supportive medications during this journey, as well as switches in antiandrogen, 5-ARI, and bone drugs.
    [/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #62
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prostatefree View Post
    Diet doesn't reverse cancer.
    If someone is diagnosed with advanced cancer, you might possibly have a point. But a study by Dr. Dean Ornish showed that elderly men with prostate cancer showed considerable improvement, meaning less cancer. In Michael Gregers book, "How Not To Die", he presented a case study whereby a patient became cancer free.

Of course it doesn't mean much because the overwhelming majority of people wouldn't be willing to go on a totally vegan diet. That might be about 99.9 percent of the U.S. population. And many vegan diets today are practiced in an unhealthy way. For example, you could go to Burger King and get a vegan burger, French-fries, and a soft drink. That's not an anti-cancer diet.

The following user gives a hug of support to JohnR41:
    IADT3since2000 (02-05-2020)
    Old 02-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #63
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary I View Post

JohnR41, my change to what you've written would be, "Diets can help to prevent or reverse many degenerative diseases, for those who are willing to put forth the effort". I believe diet plays a vital role, but irrefutable proof isn't available, as far as I know.
    I'm going to be 79 in a few months, so I can't afford to wait too long for more proof. I'm going by what I think is the best research I've found.

Quote:
    Please give us the name and author of the book you reference that has instructions on how to reverse cardiovascular disease. I'd like to read it, since my calcium score is almost 800 on my left anterior descending artery (LAD), sans any symptoms and with a good BMI.
    The book I recommended to my friend is not the latest but it did work for him. The title: "The Cardiovascular Cure" by John P. Cooke. Now here's the strange thing: The author does allow for small portions of lean meat which I no longer agree with. But it did help my friend. Maybe it's because it was a big improvement over what he had been eating.

There are others like doctor Dean Ornish who recommend going vegan for the best results. And Dr. Joel Fuhrman has a relatively new book out titled. "The End of Heart Disease" which I am still reading.

In the book "How Not To Die" Dr. Michael Greger has a chapter on heart disease because his book covers all the major diseases. It is an excellent book and well worth reading. I keep going back to it whenever I have a question about something.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #64
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Some Other Books on Nutrition and Lifestyle Tactics Against Prostate Cancer

Hi again John, you recently posted in part:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    I didn't recommend the China Study to you because I thought it was 100% perfect. I don't think any book is going to be 100% perfect, especially 15 years after publication. I recommended it because I thought you were just beginning to study nutrition and I thought The China Study would give you a good foundation. Then I could always recommend more up-to-date books later.
    I have actually been intently interested in diet and lifestyle tactics to counter prostate cancer and foster overall health since early 2000. As I may have mentioned, my #1 guru has been Dr. Charles "Snuffy" Myers, MD, known to many of us, who, during a brilliant, awesomely prolific and varied medical career with a later intense focus on prostate cancer as his practice, developed his own life-threatening case of metastatic prostate cancer (and is surviving it 21 years later). He wrote a highly informative newsletter for many years prior to his retirement a few years ago, and he has authored or co-authored (with his PhD wife Rose, sister-in-law and daughter) at least three books focused on nutrition, lifestyle tactics and prostate cancer. The first was "Eating Your Way to Better Health - The Prostate Forum Nutrition Guide," published in 2000; Dr. Dean Ornish, MD, endorsed this book as follows: "Snuffy Myers is one of the most creative and pioneering physicians in the world. This book - particularly the oil-free Vegan recipes - may save your life." The second was "Beating Prostate Cancer: Hormonal Therapy & Diet," published in 2006. The third was "The New Prostate Cancer Nutrition Book," published in 2012. While some of the information in these books is now obsolete, the recipes are still current and there is a lot of excellent information and advice.

Dr. Mark Moyad, MD, who in recent years has been the moderator of the Conferences on Prostate Cancer sponsored by the Prostate Cancer Research Institute each September near LAX, has also authored helpful books and numerous articles on nutrition and prostate cancer.

Jim

Gleason 4+3=7 (J. Epstein, JHU), all cores +, most 100%; "rock hard" prostate with ECE - stage 3, PNI, PSADT determined later 3-4 months; technetium bone scan and CT scan negative; prognosis 5 years.
    Later ProstaScint scan negative except for one suspicious small area in an unlikely location. ADT Lupron as first therapy, in Dec 1999, then + Casodex in March 2000, then + Proscar and Fosamax in Sep 2000. Rejected for surgery January 2000; offered radiation but told success odds were low; switched to ADT only vice radiation in May 2000, betting on holding the fort for improved technology; PSA gradual decline to <0.01 May 2002. Commenced intermittent ADT3 (IADT3) with first vacation from Lupron & Casodex. Negative advanced scans in 2011 (NaF18 PET/CT for bone) and 2012 (Feraheme USPIO for nodes and soft tissue). With improved technology, tried TomoTherapy RT, 39 sessions, in early 2013, plus ADT 3 in support for 18 months (fourth round of IADT3), ended April 2014. Continuing with Avodart as anti-recurrence shield. Current PSA remarkably low at <0.01; apparently cured.. Supportive diet/nutrition, exercise, supportive medications during this journey, as well as switches in antiandrogen, 5-ARI, and bone drugs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IADT3since2000 For This Useful Post:
    Gary I (02-06-2020)
    Old 02-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #65
    IceStationZebra
    (male)

IceStationZebra HB UserIceStationZebra HB UserIceStationZebra HB User

I had a preemptive colonoscopy done a month before my surgery. The prep was bad but not as bad as expected.

The liquid diet sucked badly. I had to do it twice in a month's time.

Clean as a whistle, finally a test that wasn't inconclusive or a bad result.

The following user gives a hug of support to IceStationZebra:
    IADT3since2000 (02-06-2020)
    Old 02-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #66
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Got my pathology report today: 4 polyps removed, all benign, next colonoscopy in 5 years instead of 3!

This is what I expected based on the debriefing my surgeon gave me in the recovery room, but it's very nice to get it confirmed.

Jim

Old 02-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #67
    IceStationZebra
    (male)

IceStationZebra HB UserIceStationZebra HB UserIceStationZebra HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IADT3since2000 View Post
    Got my pathology report today: 4 polyps removed, all benign, next colonoscopy in 5 years instead of 3!

This is what I expected based on the debriefing my surgeon gave me in the recovery room, but it's very nice to get it confirmed.

Jim

Great news Jim, congrats!

The Following User Says Thank You to IceStationZebra For This Useful Post:
    IADT3since2000 (02-06-2020)
    Old 02-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #68
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I got my bill for the surgery part of the colonoscopy today: $0. The downside is I thought this would be my way to meet my deductible limit for the whole year, making the rest future expenses free of the deductible. Oh well. Guess I can live with it.

I'm thinking this is because colonoscopies are screenings and maybe are therefore free under the Obamacares Law? My reollection is that I paid quite a bit separately for the anesthesiologist last time, in 2016 after the law had passed.

Jim

Reply Reply