It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Individual & joint effects of metformin and statins on high-risk PCa mortality

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
    DjinTonic
    (male)

DjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB User
    Individual & joint effects of metformin and statins on high-risk PCa mortality

Individual and joint effects of metformin and statins on mortality among patients with high‐risk prostate cancer [2020, Full Text]

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cam4.2862

Quote:
    Abstract
    Background
    Pre‐clinical studies suggest that metformin and statins may delay prostate cancer (PCa) metastases; however, data in humans are limited. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first human study aimed to quantify the individual and joint effects of statin and metformin use among patients with high‐risk PCa.

Methods
    This population‐based retrospective cohort study identified patients from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER)‐Medicare linked database. Exposure to metformin and statins was ascertained from Medicare Prescription Drug Event files. The association with all‐cause and PCa mortality were evaluated using Cox proportional hazard model with competing causes of death, where propensity scores were used to adjusted imbalances in covariates across groups.

Results
    Based on 12 700 patients with high‐risk PCa, statin alone or in combination with metformin was significantly associated with reduced all‐cause mortality (Hazard Ratio [HR]: 0.89; 95% Confidence Interval [CI]: 0.83, 0.96; and HR: 0.75; 95% CI, 0.67‐0.83, respectively) and PCa mortality (HR, 0.80; 95% CI: 0.69, 0.92) and 0.64; 95% CI, d 0.51‐0.81, respectively. The effects were more pronounced in post‐diagnostic users: combination use of metformin/statins was associated with a 32% reduction in all‐cause mortality (95% CI, 0.57‐0.80), and 54% reduction in PCa mortality (95% CI, 0.30‐0.69). No significant association of metformin alone was observed with either all‐cause mortality or PCa mortality.

Conclusions
    Statin use alone or in combination with metformin was associated with lower all‐cause and PCa mortality among high‐risk patients, particularly in post‐diagnostic settings; further studies are warranted.
    (See Full Text)

Djin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DjinTonic For This Useful Post:
    IADT3since2000 (02-13-2020),Skipper Chuck (02-13-2020)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
    IceStationZebra
    (male)

IceStationZebra HB User
    Re: Individual & joint effects of metformin and statins on high-risk PCa mortality

Interesting.

I have to go battle my pcp over my BP on tuesday. I already take a statin but maybe metformin might be a good answer if they want to change up my BP meds. I don't want to change.

I'm doing quite nicely on the single medicine.

Reply Reply