It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Covid-19

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    Covid-19

Introduction, US Temperature Map, Male Deaths/Smoking

Some information on Covid-19 relevant to our Board has already appeared under the thread "IMRT and Blood Counts", and that thread will continue to grow. But I'm thinking we could use a thread focused more specifically on the virus.

Temperature Map Here is a resource that recently was opened to the public; it aids us in assessing the threat in our local areas of the US with its county-by-county presentation of personal temperature data for more than a million US people who have purchased a certain thermometer/app product. Here's the website: https://healthweather.us/ . It is sponsored by a company called Kinsa, Inc. Essentially, its thermometer automatically transmits temperatures taken by its customers to a central data base, and the summarized data are now displayed on a daily updated map, by US county, that we can all view; you can input your zip code and get a report of the hard data, summarized, behind the color-coded display. The relevance to Covid-19 is that elevated temperatures signal infection, possibly Covid-19, and by subtracting out normally expected infection from the flu, Kinsa is able to display/record "atypical" temperature elevations, which, these days, are fairly likely to reflect Covid-19 activity. I had a little trouble getting access to the map, but it is now working fine for me. I am not a Covid customer, but obviously plenty of my county-mates are. Most of the US appears to be well covered by the company's customers, so it appears we are probably getting a fairly reliable clue to Covid-19 activity. A lag of several weeks often occurs between the times that temperatures are first showing atypical elevation and the times that patients start showing up as positive on tests or in hospitals.

Male Deaths/Smoking Being an elderly male is clearly a very substantial risk factor for death from Covid-19 based on results from a number of other nations. The ratio for at least a couple of nations, China and Italy as I recall it somewhat hazily, is 2:1 for males versus females who die due to Covid-19, with the great majority being quite elderly. Health experts have noted that smoking patterns by gender in these countries are roughly aligned with the ratio of Covid-19 deaths by gender, and this fits with the obvious known damage to lungs, where Covid-19 does its serious damage, from smoking. Similarly, air pollution is a suspect, along with alcohol consumption. The latter might be due to association by gender rather than a causal connection, IMO. If the theory about previous lung damage holds up, it would mean that those of us who are elderly are at substantially higher risk if we smoke and substantially lower risk if we do not smoke. I expect we will see some solid analysis of this within the coming weeks.

.Jim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Diagnosis Dec 1999 PSA 113.6 (first ever), age 56
    Gleason 4+3=7 (J. Epstein, JHU), all cores +, most 100%; "rock hard" prostate with ECE - stage 3, PNI, PSADT determined later 3-4 months; technetium bone scan and CT scan negative; prognosis 5 years.
    Later ProstaScint scan negative except for one suspicious small area in an unlikely location. ADT Lupron as first therapy, in Dec 1999, then + Casodex in March 2000, then + Proscar and Fosamax in Sep 2000. Rejected for surgery January 2000; offered radiation but told success odds were low; switched to ADT only vice radiation in May 2000, betting on holding the fort for improved technology; PSA gradual decline to <0.01 May 2002. Commenced intermittent ADT3 (IADT3) with first vacation from Lupron & Casodex. Negative advanced scans in 2011 (NaF18 PET/CT for bone) and 2012 (Feraheme USPIO for nodes and soft tissue). With improved technology, tried TomoTherapy RT, 39 sessions, in early 2013, plus ADT 3 in support for 18 months (fourth round of IADT3), ended April 2014. Continuing with Avodart as anti-recurrence shield. Current PSA remarkably low at <0.01; apparently cured.. Supportive diet/nutrition, exercise, supportive medications during this journey, as well as switches in antiandrogen, 5-ARI, and bone drugs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply