It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Just Beginning My Journey

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
    Oakguy
    (male)

Oakguy HB User
    Just Beginning My Journey

Hi, I’m just beginning my journey At 67. My PCA is 14 and my MRI is scheduled for this Thursday. It went from 6.32 in Nov/2017 to 14 today. I can’t thank you enough for the lessons and wisdom in your posts. I will continue to read and try to understand all the abbreviations. I will learn From those who have gone before me down this same path. I will post my results and look for your thoughts.

Oakguy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #2
    Gary I
    (male)

Gary I HB UserGary I HB User
    Re: Just Beginning My Journey

Post your detailed MRI report, and if you're still seeing the same Urologist as you were in 2017, get a new one. A PSA of 6.32 should have been acted upon back then.
    Second 3T MRI 1/17
    RALP 7/17, G3+4, Organ confined
    pT2 pNO pMn/a Grade Group 2
    PSA 0.32 to .54 over next 4 months
    DCFPyl PET & ercMRI @NCI - 11/17
    One inch tumor still in prostate bed
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRT, 2ADT, IMGT 70.2 Gy, complete 5/18
    PSA 0.066 1/20, .059 6/20 .077 9/20

Old 07-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
    Terry G
    (male)

Terry G HB User

Oakguy,
    We’re glad you found this site as well. I know it was a tremendous help for myself in getting sound information and very helpful in my treatment decisions. Good luck going forward and keep us posted.
    Bx: Three of twelve cores adenocarcinoma Gleason 6 (3+3) all on left side, no pni.
    DOB 7/21/47; good health; age 69 @ Dx
    Treated 6/17 SBRT @ Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Tendulkar
    Reduced ejaculate only side effect; everything works
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSA’s post.SBRT 1.1, 1.1, .9, 1.8, 2.7, 1.0, 0.3, 0.6

Old 07-02-2020, 06:33 AM   #4
    guitarhillbilly
    (male)

guitarhillbilly HB Userguitarhillbilly HB User

OakGuy:

Depending on diagnosis there are many good folks on this forum and threads that have different experiences.There are differences of opinion on various treatments whether you are dealing with BPH or PCa.
    "Iron Sharpens Iron".
    I do recommend in a UR who specializes in PCa with a lot of experience and training dealing with it whether or not you are diagnosed with BPH or PCa.
    Keep us posted as you find out info.
    Wish you the very best.
    NBS = Negative
    Pelvic CT= Negative
    Pelvic MRI= Negative
    Age at Diagnosis= 60-65 age group
    Completed 42 IMRT Sessions
    Lupron scheduled for 2 years [Started DEC 2019]

Old 07-02-2020, 06:48 AM   #5
    guitarhillbilly
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary I View Post
    Post your detailed MRI report, and if you're still seeing the same Urologist as you were in 2017, get a new one. A PSA of 6.32 should have been acted upon back then.
    Really don't know what his PSA numbers or PSA Velocity was prior to 2017.
    I do see why his PSA Velocity from 2017 to Date requires further investigation and why the MRI was ordered.

I have a 70 year old friend that has a PSA of 32 with no detectable PCa.He has had MRI -Bone Scan -Biopsy.
    He has a very large prostate.and dealing with BPH issues. He is trying the medication route first and then if not going to a UR experienced in HoLEP.
    NBS = Negative
    Pelvic CT= Negative
    Pelvic MRI= Negative

Old 07-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
    Prostatefree
    (male)

Prostatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guitarhillbilly View Post
    Really don't know what his PSA numbers or PSA Velocity was prior to 2017.
    I do see why his PSA Velocity from 2017 to Date requires further investigation and why the MRI was ordered.

I have a 70 year old friend that has a PSA of 32 with no detectable PCa.He has had MRI -Bone Scan -Biopsy.
    He has a very large prostate.and dealing with BPH issues. He is trying the medication route first and then if not going to a UR experienced in HoLEP.
    How many biopsies has your friend had and how recently?
    5-4-16 DaVinci RP, Path-65g, lymph nodes, seminal vesicles, capsule, margin all neg, G3+4, T vol 35%, +pT2c, No Incontinence-6mos, Erections-14 months;
    6-30-20 PSA less than 0.02, zero club 4 yrs

Old 07-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
    guitarhillbilly
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prostatefree View Post
    How many biopsies has your friend had and how recently?
    Don't know the total number of biopsies but he has had all the testing done including a biopsy within the last 12 months.

https://scarysymptoms.com/2017/08/can-extremely-high-psa-no-prostate-cancer/
    NBS = Negative
    Pelvic CT= Negative
    Pelvic MRI= Negative

Old 07-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #8
    ASAdvocate
    (male)

ASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB User

That linked article is useless. It does not provide any data. For example, I’ve been asking for years if anyone knew how high a non-cancerous PSA could go. Nothing. No replies or data. A couple of men reported non-repeatable readings of 50 or 60, but nothing from doctors.

If a new member shows up and asks if his PSA of 120 means that he likely has cancer , it would be useful to have certainty to provide advice.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:25 PM   #9
    guitarhillbilly
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASAdvocate View Post
    That linked article is useless. It does not provide any data. For example, I’ve been asking for years if anyone knew how high a non-cancerous PSA could go. Nothing. No replies or data. A couple of men reported non-repeatable readings of 50 or 60, but nothing from doctors.

If a new member shows up and asks if his PSA of 120 means that he likely has cancer , it would be useful to have certainty to provide advice.
    Try asking your UR what the "magic number" is or where to find it. Be sure to let us know when you find out the answer.
    One half of the MD's can't even agree on whether or not to even do PSA testing in the first place. I'm surprised at the number of my male co workers that do not even get a PSA test as part of their annual physical.

NBS = Negative
    Pelvic CT= Negative
    Pelvic MRI= Negative

Old 07-02-2020, 10:43 PM   #10
    HighlanderCFH
    (male)

HighlanderCFH has disabled reputation

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oakguy View Post
    Hi, I’m just beginning my journey At 67. My PCA is 14 and my MRI is scheduled for this Thursday. It went from 6.32 in Nov/2017 to 14 today. I can’t thank you enough for the lessons and wisdom in your posts. I will continue to read and try to understand all the abbreviations. I will learn From those who have gone before me down this same path. I will post my results and look for your thoughts.

Oakguy

Hi Oak,

I agree with what one of our other members said regarding your PSA in 2017 and no apparent action from your urologist.

Have you had a biopsy yet -- or is the MRI being done in advance of a biopsy?

Old 07-03-2020, 02:21 AM   #11
    guitarhillbilly
    (male)

Quote:

Oakguy
    If you still have not your biopsy please know that the 2 most common methods are transrectal and transperineal.

From Mayo Clinic:
    "In transperineal biopsy, the urologist passes the biopsy needle through the perineal skin and into the prostate, rather than passing the biopsy needle through a potentially contaminated rectum. The biopsy needle is still guided by an ultrasound placed in the rectum. This approach lowers the risk of sepsis to 1 in 500, rather than the approximate 1 to 2 in 100 risk of sepsis related to transrectal biopsy."
    NBS = Negative
    Pelvic CT= Negative
    Pelvic MRI= Negative

Old 07-08-2020, 04:47 AM   #12
    Oakguy
    (male)

Oakguy HB User

Sorry so long replying to all of your helpful posts. And truly helpful they are. I completed the MRI and still waiting for the results. My doctor hopefully gets back from vacation today or tomorrow and is supposed to call with the results. I appreciate the suggestion to record the call to capture as much detail as necessary.

I got the “Primer on Prostate Cancer” and visited “pcri.org.” Doing my research thanks to you guys. I will post the results soon as I hear.

Thanks very much!
    Oakguy

Old 07-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #13
    Prostatefree
    (male)

Prostatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB User

I'll repeat what was mentioned earlier, of what you have shared the most concerning aspect is the time of the increase in your PSA. PCa is managable if detected and treated early. This is the golden rule of all cancer, but most importantly treatable ones of which PCa is one of the most treatable. It holds true all the way down this path.

So, if the source of that time is still unaddressed it will manifest itself again. Whether a doctor, a condition, or yourself you want to be clear about it to maintain your power to deal with what it is now.

Please explain and let us know where you are with it now. Something wasn't working then and we want to make sure it is working now. Like everything else, if something wasn't working we have to go back and identify it and make sure it's working now to move forward effectively.

While the information here is useful, the most important aspect of what happens here is accountability. Treatment models are very clear for prostate cancer. We've been treating it successfully for a long time. Where it ususally breaks down is in the patient's head.

For example, protocol calls for a biopsy if the PSA reaches 4.0, sometimes sooner depending on your profile. What happened, and not the long of it? Make it short. We just want to make sure you're clear in your head and team around you moving forward.

As part of the exercise, complete your signature. We will help you get it to a clear and succinct profile. It will prove itself to be an invaluable aid. It keeps your case front and center for you and reminds you when you conveniently want to dismiss something important about your profile. Including, forgetting lessons learned.

Nothing personal in this. It's boot camp for your prostate cancer. You will be building a foundation for dealing with it the rest of your life.
    5-4-16 DaVinci RP, Path-65g, lymph nodes, seminal vesicles, capsule, margin all neg, G3+4, T vol 35%, +pT2c, No Incontinence-6mos, Erections-14 months;
    6-30-20 PSA less than 0.02, zero club 4 yrs

Old 07-11-2020, 05:41 AM   #14
    guitarhillbilly
    (male)

Quote:
    Sorry so long replying to all of your helpful posts. And truly helpful they are. I completed the MRI and still waiting for the results. My doctor hopefully gets back from vacation today or tomorrow and is supposed to call with the results. I appreciate the suggestion to record the call to capture as much detail as necessary.

I got the “Primer on Prostate Cancer” and visited “pcri.org.” Doing my research thanks to you guys. I will post the results soon as I hear.

Thanks very much!
    Oakguy
    Your MD / UR can also use the MRI results to determine your PSA Density as the MRI will provide the prostate volume [size].
    PSA Density and PSA Velocity are 2 tools in the toolbox that the UR can use to validate the need for farther investigation as was in my case.
    Your PSA number 14 is concerning as my UR wanted to do a Biopsy when my PSA jumped from from 2.4 to 5.3 in about 3 years.My MRI was performed prior to having the biopsy. My own decision we waited another 11 months and when my PSA hit 6.9 I knew it was time to do a biopsy regardless of the risks.

https://www.cancertherapyadvisor.com/home/cancer-topics/prostate-cancer/psa-density-more-accurate-than-psa-for-predicting-prostate-cancer/

"The findings of this study suggest that PSA density has a better accuracy for detecting prostate cancer compared with PSA above 4 ng/mL"
    NBS = Negative
    Pelvic CT= Negative
    Pelvic MRI= Negative

Old 07-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #15
    Oakguy
    (male)

Oakguy HB User

Update. Found Minnesota Urology(MR) and decided to try that clinic from the name. I was not happy with the urologist in my local clinic where all my PSA tests were done. Second visit to MR, they had a new computer system, re-register everything please. Scheduled for MRI on 7/2 but no word on results. Pinged the office and was told the doc was on vacation. I just missed his phone call 12 days later. This has really stressed us out waiting.

Between the waiting and the confusion down at their office, looking at going to another clinic as I am not happy with MR. Got a bill that said I have no insurance. I found mixed reviews on the docs at MR but the reviews from others were very negative. Thinking about mhealth.org. Like what I see and the doctors had much better reviews on healthgrades.

I tried to call for the MRI results but MR urologist was out of the office. I’ll post the results as soon as I can get them. Thanks for the notes and support.
    PSA Results: 2/18/13 - 4.39: 9/9/2013 - 3.62: 11/8/2017 - 6.32: 8/1/18 - 5.59:
    1/16/20 - 11.62: 6/25/20 - 14
    MRI Results: Score=3, Biopsy next!

The Following User Says Thank You to Oakguy For This Useful Post:
    Terry G (07-20-2020)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    psa

« Ebrt | Rising PSA »