It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• First PSA test after PBT

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
    Nonquixote
    (male)

Nonquixote HB User
    First PSA test after PBT

I had proton beam therapy that ended on January 9th, 2020 and the PSA test that followed immediately after was 2.8. My PSA immediately prior to therapy was 3.1.

Just got the results from my six month PSA test and my score is 1.0.

It's not 0, and I didn't expect it to be, but to be honest 2.8 to 1.0 in six months is a larger drop than I expected.

I realize that it's just one test, but I can't help but feel encouraged by the results.
    Proton Beam Therapy ended 1/9/20

The following user gives a hug of support to Nonquixote:
    IADT3since2000 (07-24-2020)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
    Southsider170
    (male)

Southsider170 HB User
    Re: First PSA test after PBT

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nonquixote View Post
    I had proton beam therapy that ended on January 9th, 2020 and the PSA test that followed immediately after was 2.8. My PSA immediately prior to therapy was 3.1.

Just got the results from my six month PSA test and my score is 1.0.

It's not 0, and I didn't expect it to be, but to be honest 2.8 to 1.0 in six months is a larger drop than I expected.

I realize that it's just one test, but I can't help but feel encouraged by the results.

You are right, mono radiation therapy doesn't create undetectable levels of PSA.

But what they do is the look for a nadir, a low point, for the PSA to sink to. Good luck, and best wishes

Old 07-24-2020, 06:52 AM   #3
    Prostatefree
    (male)

Prostatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB User

Keep us posted. Not many have had this treatment on these sites that I can recall.
    5-4-16 DaVinci RP, Path-65g, lymph nodes, seminal vesicles, capsule, margin all neg, G3+4, T vol 35%, +pT2c, No Incontinence-6mos, Erections-14 months;
    6-30-20 PSA less than 0.02, zero club 4 yrs

Old 07-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi Nonquixote and welcome to the Board!

My impression is that you are doing well and that the PSA is likely to continue declining.

If you want to dig into more information and research, Dr. Carl Rossi, MD, perhaps the best known US pioneer of proton therapy, at Loma Linda, CA, wrote about it in Chapter 21 of the 2018 book "The Key to Prostate Cancer." If you go to www.pubmed.gov and search for - rossi c [au] AND prostate cancer AND proton - you will get 18 hits in which Rossi C, Rossi CJ, or Rossi CJ jr. were involved. I suspect it is a family thing.

Good luck!

.Jim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Diagnosis Dec 1999 PSA 113.6 (first ever), age 56
    Gleason 4+3=7 (J. Epstein, JHU), all cores +, most 100%; "rock hard" prostate with ECE - stage 3, PNI, PSADT determined later 3-4 months; technetium bone scan and CT scan negative; prognosis 5 years.
    Later ProstaScint scan negative except for one suspicious small area in an unlikely location. ADT Lupron as first therapy, in Dec 1999, then + Casodex in March 2000, then + Proscar and Fosamax in Sep 2000. Rejected for surgery January 2000; offered radiation but told success odds were low; switched to ADT only vice radiation in May 2000, betting on holding the fort for improved technology; PSA gradual decline to <0.01 May 2002. Commenced intermittent ADT3 (IADT3) with first vacation from Lupron & Casodex. Negative advanced scans in 2011 (NaF18 PET/CT for bone) and 2012 (Feraheme USPIO for nodes and soft tissue). With improved technology, tried TomoTherapy RT, 39 sessions, in early 2013, plus ADT 3 in support for 18 months (fourth round of IADT3), ended April 2014. Continuing with Avodart as anti-recurrence shield. Current PSA remarkably low and stable at <0.01; apparently cured. (Current T 99 6/5/20.) Supportive diet/nutrition, exercise, supportive medications during this journey, as well as switches in antiandrogen, 5-ARI, and bone drugs.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
    ASAdvocate
    (male)

ASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prostatefree View Post
    Keep us posted. Not many have had this treatment on these sites that I can recall.
    The number of proton centers has greatly increased. There were six in 2008. There are over thirty now, with more being built.

There are many protons for prostate cancer discussions on the several (social media) PCa groups, and also on UsToo website.

Six biopsies from 2009 to 2019. Three were were positive with 5% Gleason(3+3) found.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
    Nonquixote
    (male)

Nonquixote HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASAdvocate View Post
    The number of proton centers has greatly increased. There were six in 2008. There are over thirty now, with more being built.

There are many protons for prostate cancer discussions on the several (social media) PCa groups, and also on UsToo website.
    Yes, in the beginning there was Loma Linda which first started treating prostate cancer with proton beam therapy in 1990, and has since treated over 10,000 cases. In the early 2000's the treatment gained greater acceptance and more centers began construction.

The treatment is quite expensive and requires a multimillion dollar expenditure just for the building and equipment. Consequently the only organizations that build proton therapy centers are the organizations that can afford the initial outlay.

There is some controversy surrounding proton treatment. The cost for PBT is at least twice the cost for traditional EBRT and some in the field wonder if the added cost is really necessary.

I chose proton beam therapy after months of research and interviews with medical professionals. I'm still happy with my decision.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #7
    ASAdvocate
    (male)

ASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nonquixote View Post
    Yes, in the beginning there was Loma Linda which first started treating prostate cancer with proton beam therapy in 1990, and has since treated over 10,000 cases. In the early 2000's the treatment gained greater acceptance and more centers began construction.

The treatment is quite expensive and requires a multimillion dollar expenditure just for the building and equipment. Consequently the only organizations that build proton therapy centers are the organizations that can afford the initial outlay.

There is some controversy surrounding proton treatment. The cost for PBT is at least twice the cost for traditional EBRT and some in the field wonder if the added cost is really necessary.

I chose proton beam therapy after months of research and interviews with medical professionals. I'm still happy with my decision.
    Two comments about PBT:

In a decade of participation in online, in-person, and virtual PCa support meetings, I have never heard a PBT patient say that they regretted their treatment choice. I have repeatedly posted that statement on the largest social media group, and have gotten zero contradictions.

And, There is now SBRT with Protons. Yes, five sessions of protons, not forty or more. And, this is being offered by Mayo Clinic and several other prestigious cancer centers. Hopefully, these fewer sessions will lower the costs.

Six biopsies from 2009 to 2019. Three were were positive with 5% Gleason(3+3) found.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #8
    Nonquixote
    (male)

Nonquixote HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASAdvocate View Post
    And, There is now SBRT with Protons. Yes, five sessions of protons, not forty or more. And, this is being offered by Mayo Clinic and several other prestigious cancer centers. Hopefully, these fewer sessions will lower the costs.
    I had been offered a spot in a clinical trial offering higher dosage for 4 weeks rather than the standard 8 (I chose the standard treatment), but I had not heard of PBT SBRT.

Makes sense though, I suppose anything you can do with photons you should be able to do with protons.

Reply Reply