It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Testosterone measurement

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
    GuyBMeredith
    (male)

GuyBMeredith HB User
    Testosterone measurement

My total testosterone check yesterday comes back as <12 ng/dl. Why the "<"? Is this lab reporting the measure as being in a range rather than the actual amount or is the 12 ng/dl the minimum they are able to measure?
    Diagnosed at age 73 Feb 2019 DRE indicates nodule PSA 2.8 Aug 2019 PSA 3.1 Urologist suggests biopsy in Oct Results of biopsy: 2 of 12 cores positive. Low volume T2b, intermediate risk, GS 3+4, PSA 3.10, prostate cancer, perineural invasion. Followed up with MRI to help decide between surgery and IMRT. MRI shows suspicious PIRADS 5 lesion measuring 2.cm in diameter, with associated left neurovascular bundle involvement. Started 6 month lupron series Feb 2020, 28 sessions of high dose IMRT Apr 15, 2020. Sexual functions okay except ejaculate has changed. Without libido it is an academic process that requires much focus. July 27 first measure of PSA and total testosterone. PSA: .13 ng/dl Total testosterone is less than 12 ng/dl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    Re: Testosterone measurement

Very likely <12 ng/dl is the lower limit of the test.

That is a fine reduction of testosterone due to ADT treatment. Mine was generally in the high teens to 21 range as nadirs over four cycles of intermittent ADT3 (IADT3).

Regarding PSA, my general impression is that PSA for many of us on ADT with just Lupron or a similar LHRH-agonist drug tends to nadir around .1. Mine was doing that even with added Casodex/bicalutamide. It began plummeting to <0.01 when my oncologist and I added Proscar/finasteride to my regimen. However, I was relying on ADT as my sole treatment to counter the cancer, not as a complement to radiation. My impression, without having checked research, is that ADT with just one element, Lupron for you, is likely sufficient to boost the effectiveness of radiation, an effect which has been established by a number of published research studies.

From my informed and experienced but layman's viewpoint, t looks like you are doing very well at this point.

….Jim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Diagnosis Dec 1999 PSA 113.6 (first ever), age 56
    Gleason 4+3=7 (J. Epstein, JHU), all cores +, most 100%; "rock hard" prostate with ECE - stage 3, PNI, PSADT determined later 3-4 months; technetium bone scan and CT scan negative; prognosis 5 years.
    Later ProstaScint scan negative except for one suspicious small area in an unlikely location. ADT Lupron as first therapy, in Dec 1999, then + Casodex in March 2000, then + Proscar and Fosamax in Sep 2000. Rejected for surgery January 2000; offered radiation but told success odds were low; switched to ADT only vice radiation in May 2000, betting on holding the fort for improved technology; PSA gradual decline to <0.01 May 2002. Commenced intermittent ADT3 (IADT3) with first vacation from Lupron & Casodex. Negative advanced scans in 2011 (NaF18 PET/CT for bone) and 2012 (Feraheme USPIO for nodes and soft tissue). With improved technology, tried TomoTherapy RT, 39 sessions, in early 2013, plus ADT 3 in support for 18 months (fourth round of IADT3), ended April 2014. Continuing with Avodart as anti-recurrence shield. Current PSA remarkably low and stable at <0.01; apparently cured. (Current T 99 6/5/20.) Supportive diet/nutrition, exercise, supportive medications during this journey, as well as switches in antiandrogen, 5-ARI, and bone drugs.

Last edited by IADT3since2000; 07-31-2020 at 11:33 AM. Reason: find --> fine

The Following User Says Thank You to IADT3since2000 For This Useful Post:
    GuyBMeredith (07-31-2020)
    Old 07-31-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
    GuyBMeredith
    (male)

GuyBMeredith HB User
    Re: Testosterone measurement

Thank you, Jim. First post radiation talk with my urologist and last one month injection of lupron Aug 4, talk with OR Aug 7. Hoping to begin seeing signs of approaching something like normal by my birthday.
    Diagnosed at age 73 Feb 2019 DRE indicates nodule PSA 2.8 Aug 2019 PSA 3.1 Urologist suggests biopsy in Oct Results of biopsy: 2 of 12 cores positive. Low volume T2b, intermediate risk, GS 3+4, PSA 3.10, prostate cancer, perineural invasion. Followed up with MRI to help decide between surgery and IMRT. MRI shows suspicious PIRADS 5 lesion measuring 2.cm in diameter, with associated left neurovascular bundle involvement. Started 6 month lupron series Feb 2020, 28 sessions of high dose IMRT Apr 15, 2020. Sexual functions okay except ejaculate has changed. Without libido it is an academic process that requires much focus. July 27 first measure of PSA and total testosterone. PSA: .13 ng/dl Total testosterone is less than 12 ng/dl.

The following user gives a hug of support to GuyBMeredith:
    IADT3since2000 (07-31-2020)
    Reply Reply