It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Repeat PSA Test

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-16-2020, 05:07 AM   #16
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    Re: Repeat PSA Test

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JWPMP View Post
    My husband is feeling such fear that his cancer is widespread and his mind is running amuck.. .and I struggle to keep my apprehension in check.
    Hi again Paula,

Yes, high PSAs are scary. When I saw my first PSA test of over a hundred, at a time when I thought I was quite healthy with nothing to worry about, my first thought was that it couldn't be as bad as it looked because I was still breathing. Still, it kind of took my breath away for a moment.

However, often prostate cancers with high PSAs like your husband's are the kind of prostate cancer that grows fast when fueled by androgens, specifically testosterone, and its much more potent high test version, dihydrotestosterone, which is made from testosterone.

But there is very good news: most of that kind of prostate cancer is highly vulnerable to treatment. That is their Achilles heel. One of the speakers at last weekend's conference mentioned that fact, which I've heard mentioned in the past by other experts.

I hope you and your husband may gain some peace in realizing that you are both doing all you can and taking the right steps to find out what is going on and at a place and with a doctor who will advise you well. The pitfall is denial, and you are avoiding that.

Good luck!

.Jim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Diagnosis Dec 1999 PSA 113.6 (first ever), age 56
    Gleason 4+3=7 (J. Epstein, JHU), all cores +, most 100%; "rock hard" prostate with ECE - stage 3, PNI, PSADT determined later 3-4 months; technetium bone scan and CT scan negative; prognosis 5 years.
    Later ProstaScint scan negative except for one suspicious small area in an unlikely location. ADT Lupron as first therapy, in Dec 1999, then + Casodex in March 2000, then + Proscar and Fosamax in Sep 2000. Rejected for surgery January 2000; offered radiation but told success odds were low; switched to ADT only vice radiation in May 2000, betting on holding the fort for improved technology; PSA gradual decline to <0.01 May 2002. Commenced intermittent ADT3 (IADT3) with first vacation from Lupron & Casodex. Negative advanced scans in 2011 (NaF18 PET/CT for bone) and 2012 (Feraheme USPIO for nodes and soft tissue). With improved technology, tried TomoTherapy RT, 39 sessions, in early 2013, plus ADT 3 in support for 18 months (fourth round of IADT3), ended April 2014. Continuing with Avodart as anti-recurrence shield. Current PSA remarkably low and stable at <0.01; apparently cured (Current PSA as of 9/4/2020). (Current T 99 6/5/20.) Supportive diet/nutrition, exercise, supportive medications during this journey, as well as switches in antiandrogen, 5-ARI, and bone drugs. Barely noticeable side effects from radiation; continuing low T, likely do to long use of ADT, but good energy and adequate strength.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2020, 05:21 AM   #17
    Prostatefree
    (male)

Prostatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB UserProstatefree HB User

Quote:
    yes correct, this is the first test ordered by our new provider, but they are having it done at the same Quest Diagnostics that ran the original test.
    Is that odd?
    Thank you
    No. It's not odd. Mistakes can be made in lab work. Confirming an unexpected result is fundamental even if the odds of a mistake are very low. I'd expect your original provider to have done the same.

Your despair is normal. It's part of the process of acceptance. Don't resist it. It's automatic.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #18
    Southsider170
    (male)

Southsider170 HB User

Quote:
    yes correct, this is the first test ordered by our new provider, but they are having it done at the same Quest Diagnostics that ran the original test.
    Is that odd?
    Thank you

Not really. Quest does quality work, and they won't feel wed to the original result if it needs corrected. The technician wouldn't even know that this is a test for confirmation.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:36 AM   #19
    JWPMP

JWPMP HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prostatefree View Post
    No. It's not odd. Mistakes can be made in lab work. Confirming an unexpected result is fundamental even if the odds of a mistake are very low. I'd expect your original provider to have done the same.

Your despair is normal. It's part of the process of acceptance. Don't resist it. It's automatic.
    despair is the perfect word, thats what my husband is feeling and it breaks my heart.
    thank you

Old 09-16-2020, 06:40 AM   #20
    JWPMP

JWPMP HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IADT3since2000 View Post
    Hi again Paula,

Yes, high PSAs are scary. When I saw my first PSA test of over a hundred, at a time when I thought I was quite healthy with nothing to worry about, my first thought was that it couldn't be as bad as it looked because I was still breathing. Still, it kind of took my breath away for a moment.

However, often prostate cancers with high PSAs like your husband's are the kind of prostate cancer that grows fast when fueled by androgens, specifically testosterone, and its much more potent high test version, dihydrotestosterone, which is made from testosterone.

But there is very good news: most of that kind of prostate cancer is highly vulnerable to treatment. That is their Achilles heel. One of the speakers at last weekend's conference mentioned that fact, which I've heard mentioned in the past by other experts.

I hope you and your husband may gain some peace in realizing that you are both doing all you can and taking the right steps to find out what is going on and at a place and with a doctor who will advise you well. The pitfall is denial, and you are avoiding that.

Good luck!

.Jim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Diagnosis Dec 1999 PSA 113.6 (first ever), age 56
    Gleason 4+3=7 (J. Epstein, JHU), all cores +, most 100%; "rock hard" prostate with ECE - stage 3, PNI, PSADT determined later 3-4 months; technetium bone scan and CT scan negative; prognosis 5 years.
    Later ProstaScint scan negative except for one suspicious small area in an unlikely location. ADT Lupron as first therapy, in Dec 1999, then + Casodex in March 2000, then + Proscar and Fosamax in Sep 2000. Rejected for surgery January 2000; offered radiation but told success odds were low; switched to ADT only vice radiation in May 2000, betting on holding the fort for improved technology; PSA gradual decline to <0.01 May 2002. Commenced intermittent ADT3 (IADT3) with first vacation from Lupron & Casodex. Negative advanced scans in 2011 (NaF18 PET/CT for bone) and 2012 (Feraheme USPIO for nodes and soft tissue). With improved technology, tried TomoTherapy RT, 39 sessions, in early 2013, plus ADT 3 in support for 18 months (fourth round of IADT3), ended April 2014. Continuing with Avodart as anti-recurrence shield. Current PSA remarkably low and stable at <0.01; apparently cured (Current PSA as of 9/4/2020). (Current T 99 6/5/20.) Supportive diet/nutrition, exercise, supportive medications during this journey, as well as switches in antiandrogen, 5-ARI, and bone drugs. Barely noticeable side effects from radiation; continuing low T, likely do to long use of ADT, but good energy and adequate strength.
    thankful for any good news today, I appreciate it. Jim is having an exceptionally bad day and there's nothing I can say to help.
    Just as you said, he feels so good he can't believe he's "sick".
    that being said he's terrified that he is "out of time"
    Guess I just have to accept that he feels that way for now.
    what would I do without this forum, I'd be in a scary place with him
    thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to JWPMP:
    IADT3since2000 (09-16-2020)
    Old 09-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #21
    DjinTonic
    Veteran
    (male)

DjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB User

Hi, JWPMP. Could you please update your signature and display it to include your all-important biopsy results?

Thanks,

Djin
    6-28-17 Bx #10: 2/14 cores: G10 (5+5) 50% RB, G9 (4+5) 3% RLM
    Nodule negative for PCa. Bone scan, CTs, X-rays: neg.
    8-7-17 Open RP, negative frozen sections, Duke Regional Hosp.
    SM EPE BNI LVI SVI LNI(5L, 11R): negative, PNI+, nerves spared
    pT2c pN0 pMX, G9 (4+5) 5% of prostate (4.5x5x4 cm, 64 g)
    Dry; ED OK with sildenafil
    11-10-17 Decipher 0.37 Low Risk: 5-yr met risk: 2.4%, 10-yr PCa-specific mortality: 3.3%
    uPSA: 0.010 (3 mo.)...0.013 (2 yr. 10 mo.)

Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #22
    JWPMP

JWPMP HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DjinTonic View Post
    Hi, JWPMP. Could you please update your signature and display it to include your all-important biopsy results?

Thanks,

Djin
    good morning Djin

No biopsy yet
    Scheduled for Oct 2nd
    MRI Friday 9/18
    Should have results by Monday

thanks so much

Old 09-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #23
    DjinTonic
    Veteran
    (male)

DjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB User

Quote:
    good morning Djin

No biopsy yet
    Scheduled for Oct 2nd
    MRI Friday 9/18
    Should have results by Monday

thanks so much
    Sorry! I misread the date. Keep us posted.

Djin
    6-28-17 Bx #10: 2/14 cores: G10 (5+5) 50% RB, G9 (4+5) 3% RLM
    Nodule negative for PCa. Bone scan, CTs, X-rays: neg.
    8-7-17 Open RP, negative frozen sections, Duke Regional Hosp.
    SM EPE BNI LVI SVI LNI(5L, 11R): negative, PNI+, nerves spared
    pT2c pN0 pMX, G9 (4+5) 5% of prostate (4.5x5x4 cm, 64 g)
    Dry; ED OK with sildenafil
    11-10-17 Decipher 0.37 Low Risk: 5-yr met risk: 2.4%, 10-yr PCa-specific mortality: 3.3%
    uPSA: 0.010 (3 mo.)...0.013 (2 yr. 10 mo.)

Old 09-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #24
    JWPMP

JWPMP HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DjinTonic View Post
    Sorry! I misread the date. Keep us posted.

Djin
    Sure will and thank you all so much

Reply Reply