It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Results from my Seventh Prostate Biopsy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
    ASAdvocate
    (male)

ASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB User
    Results from my Seventh Prostate Biopsy

Last Friday I had biopsy number seven as part of my twelve years in Johns Hopkinsí Active Surveillance program. This biopsy was different, as I requested the imaging be done in real time using the ExactVu micro-ultrasound. After nine previous MRIís with gadolinium contrast, I didnít want any more of those chemicals. The cores were taken with the Precision Point transperineal access system, under local anesthesia. No antibiotics necessary.

Just got the report on MyChart. No cancer found. Twelve systematic cores plus two identified as targets by the micro-ultrasound PRIMUS software (similar to PIRADS). One core had HGPIN, but that is a non-concerning typical finding for me.

I have had Gleason(3+3)=6 cores found on several previous biopsies. But, subsequent negative biopsies are apparently common for men on AS.

For a prostate cancer patient, I am very fortunate. My wish is for all of you to see encouraging results in your future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    Re: Results from my Seventh Prostate Biopsy

Congratulations now, and keep those grand reports coming!

Jim

Old 04-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #3
    DaveinMaryland
    (male)

DaveinMaryland HB User

You are the poster person for AS.

I was not a candidate for active surveillance. Even if I was, I'm not sure I would have opted for it. I don't think I have the personality to accept living with a disease that can be removed.

It takes a certain personality to be able to accept living with cancer in your body. It also takes an understanding that active surveillance is ACTIVE. Regular PSA checks (no big deal) and annual or every other year biopsies (bit of a deal - it is an invasive procedure). It is not a forget about it and ignore it treatment with zero after affects.

I've seen you warn guys that active surveillance is ACTIVE.

Keep up the good work in informing folks about it and exactly what it involves.
    August 2018 2 digit .07
    November 2018 2 digit .10
    6 month Lupron Shot Dec 2018
    Salvage Radiation Jan - Mar 2019
    Nov 2019, June 2020 Nov 2020 PSA undetectable

Old 04-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
    ASAdvocate
    (male)

ASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveinMaryland View Post
    You are the poster person for AS.

I was not a candidate for active surveillance. Even if I was, I'm not sure I would have opted for it. I don't think I have the personality to accept living with a disease that can be removed.

It takes a certain personality to be able to accept living with cancer in your body. It also takes an understanding that active surveillance is ACTIVE. Regular PSA checks (no big deal) and annual or every other year biopsies (bit of a deal - it is an invasive procedure). It is not a forget about it and ignore it treatment with zero after affects.

I've seen you warn guys that active surveillance is ACTIVE.

Keep up the good work in informing folks about it and exactly what it involves.
    Thanks, Dave,

I have been with groups of long time AS men in various Zoom sessions. When some of them say that they havenít seen a doctor in years, have Gleason 7, and rely on diet and supplements to protect them, I have to take a deep breath and shake my head.

They boast that they are on AS, but not to my thinking 🤔

The living with cancer part is not hard for me, but I realize that some just canít be at peace, or sleep at night, thinking about it. I have actually told a few like that to request surgery, if that is what will calm them. No sense living in a mental Hell.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #5
    HighlanderCFH
    (male)

HighlanderCFH has disabled reputation

Congratulations on another good result, ASA. May this trend continue on forever more.

Chuck

Reply Reply