It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• 3T MRI second opinion/re-read options

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #1
    Jay4546
    (male)

Jay4546 HB User
    3T MRI second opinion/re-read options

Looking for advice on radiologists/locations that are currently offering MRI second reading/opinion services. I DO have an appointment with MSKCC in 2-3 weeks, but thinking about adding another opinion while I wait. I'm thinking this is something that is likely out-of-pocket or is it ever covered by insurance? An idea of what the cost might be would be helpful as well or a link to their services page. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
    Re: 3T MRI second opinion/re-read options

Hi Jay,

I'm thinking you would be fine just going with MSKCC, though of course any of us can seek a second opinion.

Arguably MSKCC is the best place for prostate cancer treatment in the world, though there are other contenders in the US and elsewhere. Indeed, experts at MSKCC either "wrote the book" or were substantial collaborators on many advances in prostate cancer treatment, including the use of multiparametric MRI.

I just did this search of PubMed, our national (world) resource, which you can do too: prostate cancer AND multiparametric MRI AND Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - and got 58 responses. You can click on any study and get a free abstract if there is one, which is usually the case. Often there are links to free copies of complete papers. In the list you will see many papers with authors from MSKCC under the authors/affiliations button, and many other studies where other researchers are using tools/technology developed by MSKCC.

Good luck!

….Jim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    21 years as a survivor. Doing well. Diagnosis Dec 1999 PSA 113.6 (first ever), age 56
    Gleason 4+3=7 (J. Epstein, JHU), all cores +, most 100%; "rock hard" prostate with ECE - stage 3, PNI, PSADT determined later 3-4 months; technetium bone scan and CT scan negative; prognosis 5 years.
    Later ProstaScint scan negative except for one suspicious small area in an unlikely location. ADT Lupron as first therapy, in Dec 1999, then + Casodex in March 2000, then + Proscar and Fosamax in Sep 2000. Rejected for surgery January 2000; offered radiation but told success odds were low; switched to ADT only vice radiation in May 2000, betting on holding the fort for improved technology; PSA gradual decline to <0.01 May 2002. Commenced intermittent ADT3 (IADT3) with first vacation from Lupron & Casodex. Negative advanced scans in 2011 (NaF18 PET/CT for bone) and 2012 (Feraheme USPIO for nodes and soft tissue). With improved technology, tried TomoTherapy RT, 39 sessions, in early 2013, plus ADT 3 in support for 18 months (fourth round of IADT3), ended April 2014. Continuing with Avodart as anti-recurrence shield. Current PSA remarkably low and stable at <0.01; apparently cured (Current PSA as of 12/2/2020). (Current T 93 12/2/2020.) Supportive diet/nutrition, exercise, supportive medications during this journey, as well as switches in antiandrogen, 5-ARI, and bone drugs. Barely noticeable side effects from radiation; continuing low T, likely do to long use of ADT, but good energy and adequate strength. I have a lot of School of Hard Knocks knowledge, and have followed research, which has made me an empowered and savvy patient, but I have had no enrolled medical education. What I experienced is not a guarantee for all but shows what is possible.

Last edited by IADT3since2000; 05-01-2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added o to to.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
    jdsky
    (male)

jdsky HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jay4546 View Post
    Looking for advice on radiologists/locations that are currently offering MRI second reading/opinion services. I DO have an appointment with MSKCC in 2-3 weeks, but thinking about adding another opinion while I wait. I'm thinking this is something that is likely out-of-pocket or is it ever covered by insurance? An idea of what the cost might be would be helpful as well or a link to their services page. Thanks!
    Jay... I had RALP at MSK 5 years ago. I had my whole work up done there. My opinion is it doesn’t get any better than MSK. JD

Old 05-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #4
    ASAdvocate
    (male)

ASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB UserASAdvocate HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jay4546 View Post
    On several other sites, I always find posts that highly recommend sending MRI images to Dr. Joseph Busch in Alpharetta, GA. He is an interventional radiologist with many, many years of diagnosing prostate cancer patients, and has a cult-like following. Apparently, he has a unique skill for assessing MRI's. He also performs realtime in-bore MRI biopsies

Busch does not accept any insurance. I think he charges about $800 to read an MRI. Ordinarily, I am skeptical of "guru" doctors, but Busch has a legion of PCa patients who trust only him.

Seven biopsies from 2009 to 2021. Three were were positive with 5% Gleason(3+3) found.

Reply Reply