It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Does proscar cause depression and anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
    tommy45
    (male)

tommy45 HB User
    Does proscar cause depression and anxiety?

I have been taking proscar for 2.5 month, recently my mood is always very sad, I am just wondering if something to do with taking proscar. Or maybe the prostatits which I have had for 8 months cause depression. Looking for the answer. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
    DjinTonic
    Veteran
    (male)

DjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB UserDjinTonic HB User
    Re: Does proscar cause depression and anxiety?

You can find a list of the more common side effects of finasteride (Proscar) here:

https://www.rxlist.com/proscar-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Depression isn't listed; however, depression resulting in turn from some of those listed (e.g., decreased libido) would not be unreasonable. You should talk to your docs about this. The cause(s) may be related or unrelated to the Proscar.

Exercise is perhaps the #1 effective treatment for depression.

Djin
    6-28-17 Bx #10: 2/14 cores: G10 (5+5) 50% RB, G9 (4+5) 3% RLM
    Nodule negative for PCa. Bone scan, CTs, X-rays: neg.
    8-7-17 Open RP, negative frozen sections, Duke Regional Hosp.
    SM EPE BNI LVI SVI LNI(5L, 11R): negative, PNI+, nerves spared
    pT2c pN0 pMX, G9 (4+5) 5% of prostate (4.5x5x4 cm, 64 g)
    Dry; ED OK with sildenafil
    Decipher 0.37 (Low Risk), uPSA: 0.010 (3 mo.)...0.020 (3 yr. 7 mo.)

Old 09-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #3
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi tommy45,

I have been on either Proscar/finasteride or Avodart/dutasteride continuously since just about this date in 2000, and I have never experienced depression from either drug. I've known other patients who were taking Proscar, and none ever mentioned depression, nor have I heard about depression as a side effect at any prostate cancer conference or read about it.

Decreased libido from Proscar affects only a small minority, but if you are in that minority that could certainly affect your mood, perhaps pushing you toward depression.

I wish you the best in escaping depression. There are non-medical and medical approaches that often work.

….Jim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    21 years as a survivor. Doing well. Diagnosis Dec 1999 PSA 113.6 (first ever), age 56
    Gleason 4+3=7 (J. Epstein, JHU), all cores +, most 100%; "rock hard" prostate with ECE - stage 3, PNI, PSADT determined later 3-4 months; technetium bone scan and CT scan negative; prognosis 5 years.
    Later ProstaScint scan negative except for one suspicious small area in an unlikely location. ADT Lupron as first therapy, in Dec 1999, then + Casodex in March 2000, then + Proscar and Fosamax in Sep 2000. Rejected for surgery January 2000; offered radiation but told success odds were low; switched to ADT only vice radiation in May 2000, betting on holding the fort for improved technology; PSA gradual decline to <0.01 May 2002. Commenced intermittent ADT3 (IADT3) with first vacation from Lupron & Casodex. Negative advanced scans in 2011 (NaF18 PET/CT for bone) and 2012 (Feraheme USPIO for nodes and soft tissue). With improved technology, tried TomoTherapy RT, 39 sessions, in early 2013, plus ADT 3 in support for 18 months (fourth round of IADT3), ended April 2014. Continuing with Avodart as anti-recurrence shield. Current PSA, for some reason based on a less sensitive test on 7/20/2021 was <0.05, still apparently cured in my ninth year since radiation (PSA as of 12/2/2020 was <0.01). (T 93 as of 12/2/2020.) Supportive diet/nutrition, exercise, supportive medications during this journey, as well as switches in antiandrogen, 5-ARI, and bone drugs. Barely noticeable side effects from radiation; continuing low T, likely do to long use of ADT, but good energy and adequate strength. I have a lot of School of Hard Knocks knowledge, and have followed research, which has made me an empowered and savvy patient, but I have had no enrolled medical education. I have also had 225 undergraduate classroom hours just in statistics and experimental design, plus more in graduate school, which dwarfs what most doctors have, and that has made my “hard knocks” experience more meaningful. What I experienced is not a guarantee for all but shows what is possible.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
    tommy45
    (male)

tommy45 HB User

Thanks Djin and Jim, I have been suffering prostatits for 8 months, pain and frequent urinating daily basis. That's why I'm taking proscar every day, hopefully it will give me some help. Dr told me there was no cure, no much treatment, I just have to live with rest my life. Some time i think I rather have pc than prostatits, at least Cancer can be treated and even cured.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #5
    IADT3since2000
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi again tommy45,

What your doctor said pretty much represents the state of the art as perceived by most doctors, based on what I've heard from one highly regarded expert, Dr. J. Curtis Nickell, MD, from Ontario, Canada. He spoke about prostatitis, especially focusing on chronic prostatitis, at an annual PCRI conference on prostate cancer several years ago, very likely between 2016 and 2018, and the DVD should still be available.

However, in 2020 he wrote a paper that was more optimistic. You can find it for free via www.pubmed.gov, the US funded website for worldwide medical research publications. Here is the link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32250053/ (then click on the button for Wiley full text article, and then on the button for the pdf). He mentions that significant improvement is now seen in 80% of patients per the two references he cites for that 80% figure. Personally, I have become convinced over the years that brilliant (and/or lucky) pioneers often find much more successful treatments than their more conventional peers (also, unfortunately, adopting therapies that sometimes prove detrimental when longer term results become available, so it's a bit of a gamble).

You might want to search for his recent publications on pubmed. I searched for - prostatitis AND nickel jc [au] NOT prostate cancer - and got 186 hits.

Good luck with this discouraging health condition.

….Jim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    21 years as a survivor. Doing well. Diagnosis Dec 1999 PSA 113.6 (first ever), age 56
    Gleason 4+3=7 (J. Epstein, JHU), all cores +, most 100%; "rock hard" prostate with ECE - stage 3, PNI, PSADT determined later 3-4 months; technetium bone scan and CT scan negative; prognosis 5 years.
    Later ProstaScint scan negative except for one suspicious small area in an unlikely location. ADT Lupron as first therapy, in Dec 1999, then + Casodex in March 2000, then + Proscar and Fosamax in Sep 2000. Rejected for surgery January 2000; offered radiation but told success odds were low; switched to ADT only vice radiation in May 2000, betting on holding the fort for improved technology; PSA gradual decline to <0.01 May 2002. Commenced intermittent ADT3 (IADT3) with first vacation from Lupron & Casodex. Negative advanced scans in 2011 (NaF18 PET/CT for bone) and 2012 (Feraheme USPIO for nodes and soft tissue). With improved technology, tried TomoTherapy RT, 39 sessions, in early 2013, plus ADT 3 in support for 18 months (fourth round of IADT3), ended April 2014. Continuing with Avodart as anti-recurrence shield. Current PSA, for some reason based on a less sensitive test on 7/20/2021 was <0.05, still apparently cured in my ninth year since radiation (PSA as of 12/2/2020 was <0.01). (T 93 as of 12/2/2020.) Supportive diet/nutrition, exercise, supportive medications during this journey, as well as switches in antiandrogen, 5-ARI, and bone drugs. Barely noticeable side effects from radiation; continuing low T, likely do to long use of ADT, but good energy and adequate strength. I have a lot of School of Hard Knocks knowledge, and have followed research, which has made me an empowered and savvy patient, but I have had no enrolled medical education. I have also had 225 undergraduate classroom hours just in statistics and experimental design, plus more in graduate school, which dwarfs what most doctors have, and that has made my “hard knocks” experience more meaningful. What I experienced is not a guarantee for all but shows what is possible.

However, in 2020 he wrote an encouraging paper,

The Following User Says Thank You to IADT3since2000 For This Useful Post:
    tommy45 (10-20-2021)
    Old 10-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #6
    tommy45
    (male)

tommy45 HB User

thank you Jim, wish you all the best. I will check it out.

Reply Reply