It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• testosterone levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2004, 09:04 PM   #1
    positive4u
    Veteran

positive4u HB User
    testosterone levels-cause of prostate cancer??

Since being diagnosed with prostate cancer and/or after treatment, has anyone had their testosterone levels checked??
    Positive4U

There is a theory that declining levels of testosterone may activate prostate tissue to be more aggressive in search of testosterone and cause cells to be more disorganized leading to cancer. This would help explain the higher rate of prostate cancer in the older male, yet the lower rate in the younger males.
    This is why I'm interested in testosterone levels.

Last edited by positive4u; 04-12-2004 at 09:36 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to positive4u For This Useful Post:
    JRUEDB (08-19-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
    positive4u
    Veteran

positive4u HB User
    Re: testosterone levels

Hello out there!!
    Has anyone had testosterone levels run & had prostate cancer????

Positive4U

Old 04-19-2004, 08:32 AM   #3
    boaz

boaz HB User

Positive,

Hi..can you elaborate more on the "theories" that are out there? First time I've heard this and it's a scary thought...my husband has terrible low levels...
    like 189 or 198, I can't remember which.....I think it's because of brain damage from an aneurysm he had last Oct. Cause it just bottomed out pretty quickly, he'd been having some ED problems, but he has a very bad back and is on pain killers also, so we didn't know what to balme it on, and all of a sudden after his aneurysm their rock bottom. He has just turned 50!! The urologist has given him an injection of testosterone and says he'll see how he does and maybe go with the patch or gel. Makes a person not know where to turn or what to do.....

Old 04-20-2004, 09:31 PM   #4
    positive4u
    Veteran

positive4u HB User

Boaz,
    It's not my desire to scare you with these ideas. I had prostate cancer at age 45 and had a radical prostatectomy at age 46. No chemo or radiation was done. After breaking my hip, I had my testosterone level taken & it was low. After the screws were removed from my hip, I broke it AGAIN the very next day. A bone density scan showed osteoporosis in both hips & the start of it in the spine. My doctor than put me on both Fosamax & Androgel. After much research on prostate cancer & testosterone replacement, I ran into the theory of declining testosterone & increasing prostate cancer. We know that prostate cancer growth is fueled by testosterone. By cutting off androgen (i.e. testosterone) supplies to the prostate cancer as with hormone & anti-androgen therapy, the cancer is slowed down but eventually becomes resistant and grows by itself. The theory is that if testosterone levels are kept at normal levels, instead of declining, than the cancer does not develop.
    Adding testosterone after the cancer has started is like adding gas to a fire.
    That is why some doctors are afraid of starting testosterone replacement on older men. Although prostate cancer usually grows slowly (maybe because of declining testosterone levels) adding additional testosterone could cause it to be more aggressive. In your husband's case, it's always advisable to have regular DRE's & PSA levels done to detect any cancer arising from the additional testosterone being given. There has not been a proven case of prostate cancer arising from replacement therapy, that I could find. I am using testosterone gel (Androgel) to reverse bone loss. With my history I have DRE's & PSA's done every 6 months. Since we believe all prostate tissue is gone & the tests are all negative, we believe testosterone supplementation is OK. I never had testosterone levels taken until after my cancer, so I am curious if they were low before then. If they were, then this could be another clue as to the cause of the cancer. Maybe this is something that should be tested with others. Also, you can have low testosterone and not have any clinical signs of it. Sorry to be so long-winded.
    Positive4U

Old 04-21-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
    boaz

boaz HB User

Thanks pos...no problem about being "long" I appreciate it. It is a concern I'll have to bring up with his neurosurgeon, as he is awaiting approval for spinal fusion. and that could play into how he'd heal or not. My you sure were young for that...but these days you're liable to see anything...

Closed Thread