It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• High PSA Velocity - Biopsy Monday - Scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
    thbrown421

thbrown421 HB User
    High PSA Velocity - Biopsy Monday - Scared!

Hi all:
    I'm nearly 65 years old.
    One year ago my PSA was 1.17, but my primary physician thought my prostate felt odd, so sent me to a urologist for a "feel" - the urologist thought it was just asymetrical, and detected no nodes or lumps. Same urologist at six months had another feel, still felt nothing like cancer. Then at my last annual physical my PSA was 3.14, so primary physician said be sure to follow up. Went back to the urologist, who did another digital exam, still felt nothing, except said my prostate might be larger. Anyway, he is concerned about the nearly-doubling of PSA in a year and has scheduled me for ultrasound and biopsy this coming Monday.

He said it could be (1) infection (2) just enlargement (3) cancer. I've read that new studies correlate high velocity changes in PSA with aggressive prostate cancer, so I'm pretty scared that if it's cancer, it's already spread to the lymph nodes. Of course, I may be just borrowing trouble.
    Questions I have:

1. I wonder why he continues to feel nothing suspicous in the digital exam? 2. Given the rapid rise in PSA, how many "samples" should he take for the biopsies?

Any insights or similar experiences will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tom

P.S. Timing is everything - I just separated from my wife, so I'm sitting here with no support system in a new apartment. Have to deal with this by myself. Baah!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
    Anderson11
    (male)

Anderson11 HB User
    Re: High PSA Velocity - Biopsy Monday - Scared!

I guess we're in the same boat. I am having my prostate biopsy on Wednesday. My PSA have been increasing by 1 every year for the last 5 years and then suddenly by 3 in three months. Ultrasound was done before and it shows enlargement of the prostate which is normal for a guy like me who is 67 yrs old. I remember reading somewhere that it is highly likely to be metatasis if it the psa is in the 20s.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
    yvette0141
    (male)

yvette0141 HB User

Hi... Try and relax... I went thru the same things you are.. When my urologist did a biopsy I had cancer in one of eight samples. That was almost three years ago.. I had Radical surguey and today I am cancer free. The main thing is that you have been seening a urologist and taking his advice. Prostate cancer is basically a slow spreading cancer so listen to your urologist. If your gut still says things 'aint' right get a second urologists opinion ASAP.. Good luck and God bless. let us know how you are doing

Old 03-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
    ItzMe2
    (male)

ItzMe2 HB User

May I recommend a great book? "Surviving Prostate Cancer" from Dr. Walsh at John Hopkins. Answers almost any question you may dream of.

The fact that the doctor feels nothing is a good sign! When they can feel something, the cancer is more advanced. They took 20 samples from me and found cancer is 3.

Best of luck to you guys! And let us know how things are going.

ItzMe2

Old 03-26-2005, 08:03 AM   #5
    geifer
    (female)

geifer HB User

My husbands free psa was 2.5 but his psa was 4 so we took it as a warning. He went to a urogiest and he did the exam with him standing over a table. He said it enlongates the prostate so he can feel the top. He had a ridge on the top he went in for biopsys the doctor took 12 samples and one came back with a gleason scale of 5. He is in the hospital now and he should be coming home today or Easter. The doctor saved both nerves and he is coming home with the cathruder and drainage tube because he is still having alot of drainage coming out. We went out today and got him a raised toliet seat some pads incause of a leak. I am sorry if I go on but I think it is so important that you guys get checked. My husband had no symptoms and he is 51. Have a good holiday and take care geifer

Old 03-26-2005, 10:03 AM   #6
    thbrown421

thbrown421 HB User

Thanks for the replies, all:

Does anybody know...do they always take a biopsy sample from the "top" of the prostate, as well as from other areas?

And, to ask again, is there a "customary" number of biopsy samples which are taken?

Thanks,
    Tom

Old 03-26-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
    yvette0141
    (male)

yvette0141 HB User

The number of samples taken is up to the urologist. The more taken is better as if cancer is presnt you have a better chance of detecting it.

Samples are taken throughout the entire prostate as cancer cells can be found in any area.

For myself my biopsy was basaically painless. Felt like a rubber band stinging my skin as each specimin was taken.
    Again,,, good luck

Old 03-26-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
    ItzMe2
    (male)

ItzMe2 HB User

I usually hear from 6-20 samples. My uro explained it as trying to pick seeds out of an orange. The more samples, the more likely they will pickup cancer if present.

My PSA was 4.3 (age 48) and my uro said he could do six in his office or more in the hospital. He also said if he did the office procedure and my PSA stayed high, he would do another one in six months. I figured that if I had cancer I wanted to give him the best chance of finding it. I opted for the hospital. He did find 3/20 were positive.

ItzMe

PS. We ALL understand the fear and anxiety you are going through. Everything will be fine.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
    positive4u
    Veteran

positive4u HB User

Tom-Yes, the more samples done the more likely cancer can be detected. I only had 6 taken & only 1 core sample was positive and microscopic at that. I was 46. However after the prostate was removed & pathologically dissected,
    2 more tumors were found. One was near the top of the prostate & would have broken through the capsule in a few years. All the DRE's indicated a small smooth prostate. My surgeon said it felt like that of a 20 year old. My PSA was 4.6 & Gleason was 6. You just never know. But even the 20 sample biopsies can miss cancer. We need a better test. Things do tend to get easier as you decide what path to take & get it done with.
    Positive4U

Old 04-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
    arfey
    (male)

arfey HB User

O.K. care geifer--I'm 69 yrs of age psa 16.3 and Gleason of 7 3+4 which the Detroit physician said they refine to a 3+3
    I had my operation RRP 8 days ago and they tell me all is gone. There was pc in the Prostate, but its gone and now they tell me My lymph nodes also tested out to be Negative.
    Fear is no stranger to those of us prior to surgery. My concern was Good Grief ! I'm 69 !!! My mind tells me I want MORE ( who doesn't) My saint is My Wife and My children and grandchildren.." I must preserve myself for them." AND MYSELF to enjoy them. Tonight we're hving our weekly pizza and Margarita night as a celebration. ( I'm still on soup and jello and dragging a catheter)
    Hang in there I was too foolish and let my PSA go two years and it jumped from a 5 to a 16.3 -I can't tell you not to worry, but I can tell you to Hope-embrace your faith, your family, and fortify yourself for all you're worth.
    God Be with you ( and he is )
    Arfey

Old 04-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #11
    kennethpm
    Inactive
    (male)

kennethpm HB User

Well, let me put my 2 cents in! I had a PSA test of 1.1 ! A year before it was higher at 1.5! Go figure.

Nevertheless, I had severe symptoms of BHP, incomplete emptying of bladder, frequent urination, straining to "go", dribbling, and most important of all, a prostate the size of a lemon. DRE yielded no bumps, nodules, or anything noticable, though, other than my prostate size.

My urologist did a TURP on me first, thinking it was BHP, but the chips (1 of 6 slides) came back positive for adenocarcinoma with a gleason of 4/3 = 7!

As many of you know this is on the high side of 7. Not good.

I'm scheduled for RRP in NY on May 9th.

Pray that I end up with them 'getting it all' as has been shared in earlier posts on this board !

Moral to the story: "PSA aint everything". Keep an eye on your symptoms as well.

Ken in CA

Old 04-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #12
    BillinOHIO
    Inactive
    (male)

BillinOHIO HB User

Hi Tom
    You might consider the freePSA test (blood test) which indicates the chance your PSA is mostly made from "free" type antigens as opposed to "bound" PSA which is probably cancer. It should be over 25%. Not all labs can do a free PSA test if the base PSA is less than 4.0. If it is over 25% the pSA velocity could be due to an enlarged prostate or a "silent" prostatitis infection.

My PSA went from 2 to 3 in about a year, which made me suspicious. Nothing was felt. Long story-but I finally found a lab that indicated my PSA was 3.1 and freePSA was 14%. Urologist ordered a biopsy, ten cores taken. Four came back with cancer and Gleason grade 6 (3+3), T1c. I'm having robotic laparoscopic radical prostatectomy on May 16, at Henry Ford clinic. I thank God I stayed with it and caught it early. Good luck & God bless.
    Bill

Closed Thread