It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Rising PSA to 9.1 four months after surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
    Blackburn
    (male)

Blackburn HB User
    Question Rising PSA to 9.1 four months after surgery

We need some input from anyone who's had a similar situation.
    My husband had a PSA of 29 in October 2005 and had a prostatectomy in November. The first PSA afterward was 7, (Gleason 9) and he just had another that was 9.1. He is scheduled for a bone scan and MRI on May 1 - neither test showed anything in October so we were hopeful. If a tumor shows up this time the doctor suggested radiation. If not, hormone therapy. Or, if these two tests don't show anything the doctor is suggesting the possibility of a Prostascint Scan.
    If anyone out there has experienced a similar scenario we'd like to hear how you handled it and if any of these treatments/tests helped you.

He doesn't want to do the hormone treatment and wonder if it's as bad as we've read about. The doctor said that the main complaint is hot flashes and any other side effects are minor. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Blackburn; 04-24-2006 at 04:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
    3sweeties2005
    (female)

3sweeties2005 HB User
    Re: Rising PSA to 9.1 four months after surgery

No similar situation because my fil is a gleason 9 psa 100 and surgery wasn't an option, his dr. said that gleason's 8-10 are usually spread beyond the prostate capsule once detected. My fil is on hormonal therapy to "control" his cancer, he has no problems being on the hormones other than he tells me the annoyance of an occasional hot flash, his muscle mass has noticeably diminshed by his appearance to me also.
    What did the dr say after the prostatectomy, were the surgical margins clear? did the surgeon say if any lymph nodes were positive during the surgery? My understanding of post prostatectomy psa levels are they should be 0.1 or below or pretty near that since only prostate cells/prostate cancer cells produce psa if no prostate then no psa should be detected, a 7 psa is very concerning and since it is rising that is not a good sign.
    My fil has had a bone scan x2 which have been negative, (Note ;in my research I found info that says that a rising psa can precede a positive bone scan by several months to even a few years, it takes billions of cells to show up positive on a bone scan), also the prostascint is something to look into, my fil recently had this done to detect where his cancer is growing, he has a rising psa on hormonal therapy, we are awaiting test results for more guidance.

Prayers are with you,

A.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
    Blackburn
    (male)

Blackburn HB User
    Re: Rising PSA to 9.1 four months after surgery

Thanks for your message. The dr. found that the cancer was at the margin on one side of the prostate and he took everything he could. The lymph nodes tested clear - no cancer in the local ones he removed with the prostate.

My husband isn't sold on the hormone therapy and was disturbed to read what you had to say about it. Please let me know how you made out with the results of the prostascint scan. I'm also trying to find out more information about immunotherapy. Also I think we need a second opinion before we decide on anything.

Please keep in touch - I greatly appreciate. We'll keep you in our thoughts as well.

Closed Thread