It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Just email'd my doc, re: bicycle

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
    CRS907
    Inactive
    (male)

CRS907 HB User
    Just email'd my doc, re: bicycle

My surgery was just over six weeks ago. I just tried riding a bicycle for a few miles. I could feel just a bit of discomfort deep inside -- not at the incision sites but in what has delicately been called the undercarriage in this forum. I could ride though it if I thought I'd not be doing any harm. I was riding a hybrid, not a road bike with a ridical seat.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Can one do harm to the internal surgical site? I'm sure I'm fine at the puncture sites.

I've emailed my doc on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
    grynch55
    (male)

grynch55 HB User
    Re: Just email'd my doc, re: bicycle

not a clue myself CRS...but I would love to hear what your doc says.

just one week post surgery and I would love to be able to get back on my bike but I know of course it is much too soon

Old 05-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
    shs50
    Veteran
    (male)

shs50 HB User

You were probably feeling the effects of the inflammation and swelling of your scrotum which is a post surgical side effect and takes several weeks to subside. You may also be irritating a traumatized area thereby retarding the healing process and possibly leading to complications. I'd lay off the biking for a few months or until all the swelling has gone down and the tissue has had a chance to fully heal. Your Dr. should have warned you.
    There's too many things Drs fail to tell patients about post surgical effects such as scrotal swelling, penile shrinkage, need to self stimulate to restore blood flow to regain erectile function, etc.
    I over exercised( swimming and vigorous walking) a week after coming home from hospital the day the catheter was removed,because I felt so good, and wound up back in the hospital for 3 days because I started the lymph fluid flowing again after the drains were removed and it had nowhere to go so it pooled in my abdomen. That pooling called a lymphocele put pressure on my femoral vein restricting circulation and causing my leg to swell which could have formed a potentially lethal clot. No one warned me about the dangers of premature mildly vigorous excercise. They only said no heavy lifting.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
    shs50
    Veteran
    (male)

shs50 HB User

You were probably feeling the effects of the inflammation and swelling of your scrotum which is a post surgical side effect and takes several weeks to subside. You may also be irritating a traumatized area thereby retarding the healing process and possibly leading to complications. I'd lay off the biking for a few months or until all the swelling has gone down and the tissue has had a chance to fully heal. Your Dr. should have warned you.
    There's too many things Drs fail to tell patients about post surgical effects such as scrotal swelling, penile shrinkage, need to self stimulate to restore blood flow to regain erectile function, etc.
    I over exercised( swimming and vigorous walking) a week after coming home from hospital the day the catheter was removed,because I felt so good, and wound up back in the hospital for 2 days because I started the lymph flowing again after the drains were removed and the fluid had nowhere to go so it pooled in my abdomen. That pooling called a lymphocele put pressure on my femoral vein restricting circulation and causing my leg to swell which could have formed a potentially lethal clot. No one warned me about the dangers of premature mildly vigorous excercise. They only said no heavy lifting.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
    CRS907
    Inactive
    (male)

CRS907 HB User

i just got a reply from my doc; he said take ibuprofen as needed, and limit riding until i'm fully healed. he said that riding wouldn't me. he didn't say how long being fully healed require. i'll ask him when i see him next week. i think i'll likely just ride a few miles at a time.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
    All_Sevens
    Inactive
    (male)

All_Sevens HB User

The concept of being "fully healed" has been an interesting one for me. Probably at each stage of healing following prostatectomy, I thought I was much further along than I actually was. How do I know that? Because I can look back over the last two years and remember what I did at each stage, and see how much I have continually improved in strength and energy to this day. During the first nine months following surgery, I did lots of manual labor, but I continually found myself gravitating toward a chair to take a break. My mind was pushing to return to pre-op normalcy, but my body kept saying "Whoa there boy, take it easy." After about nine months or a year, my body seemed to catch up to my mind. But, even today, I know I am still healing.

This is a major operation, no matter how it is done. With most of us, they remove about 50 grams of tissue right from the center of a major hinge point in the body. When I do certain stretch exercises, I can still feel internal adhesions where this tissue was removed. It's not major pain, just a gentle reminder that I'm still healing, two years post op.

One of the several big anxieties I had before surgery was wondering if I would lose my physical vigor. My doctor said, "It's mostly up to you, but make sure you don't do too much, too fast after surgery, because that could set you back." By maintaining an exercise program, but still following his advice about not overdoing it, I feel like I'm stronger now than I was before surgery.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
    CRS907
    Inactive
    (male)

CRS907 HB User

sevens, right on regarding long time to one's old self. although i am pretty much past the soreness and the worst of the fatigue, i'm a long way from being back where i was. i am going back to work next week -- one day shy of seven weeks after surgery.

today i rode just a bit on a flat paved street. after a short time i felt the pain and the fatigue. so, i stopped.

it is hard for me to picture how to resume the recretional activity i like: bike riding and running. before surgery, i did what i think is a lot of both. at least i did them regularly. but now, i don't know how to start back up.

sevens, what level of activity did you start with when you were on the comebak trail? any recommendations? there's a hundred mile bike ride i like in october. right now that seems out of the question, but, one never knows, i guess. one must hope. [i guess i'm not above beng unrealistic.]

Old 05-26-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
    All_Sevens
    Inactive
    (male)

All_Sevens HB User

CRS,

I think I went back to work about the same time that you are. I had to be very careful about the exercise program, because shortly before surgery, my doctor discovered I had a hernia, which was fixed at the same time as the prostatectomy. I didn't even know I had it. Then, about 8 weeks after surgery, I found out that my insurance would cover some physical therapy, so my doctor hooked me up with a group that specializes in post-surgical recovery. Over the next six weeks I went from doing resistance band stuff all the way to working with the weight machines, slowly progressing from from very light resistance to light weights. When I graduated from that program, I was cleared to do anything (at about three and a half months post-surgery).

I then bought a used Weider weight machine, with a stair-stepper attached, and have been working out with that three times a week ever since. I'm now beyond the strength I had before surgery, moving a considerable amount of weight for lat pull-downs, curls, presses, leg lifts, squat thrusts, and abdominal crunches. I always do about 30 minutes of aerobic stepping before doing weights. This program has worked well, and I've been able to do lots of heavy construction work in the last year, and really hold my own on hiking and backpacking trips. I got back into construction work four months after surgery, but I had to limit it to light remodeling projects for a while.

My doctor was not big on having me ride a bike, so I held off on that for about six months. Then, I bought a special wide seat for my trail bike, a seat that takes all the stress off the perineum. I use it to ride to a nearby town to pick up my mail, about 10 miles round trip. I also participate in a yoga group whenever I get into Tucson.

Well, that's been my program, probably slower that some and faster than others. I was careful not to overdo it, because there is a risk of hernia and other complications after this surgery. I hope you find that balance between making progress, but not injuring yourself. My best advice is to listen to your doctor, but above all, listen to your body.

Sevens

Old 05-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
    leftcoaster
    Inactive
    (male)

leftcoaster HB User

I was told by my urologist that bike riding is one of the worse things that a person healing from prostate surgery can do.

Prior to my diagnosis I rode about 100 miles a week on average. I particpated in centurys and other recreational rides. i have never raced. At least a few articles I have read described long term bike riding as a possible prostate irritant. I don't know that I agree, but I do know I often suffered from discomfort in that area. I have not decided if I will resume riding in the future.

I am 18 weeks past Davinci surgery and have no continence problems, but do still struggle with ED. Others have reported problems with both, especially continence if they resumed early biking or running.

Good luck and let us know how things are going (so to speak).

Old 05-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
    CRS907
    Inactive
    (male)

CRS907 HB User

thanks, leftcoaster. i rode a bit on a rented recument yesterday. the seat is as comfortable as an upholstered park bench -- kinda like an office chair. i was going to ride one of my regular bikes this afternoon, but your note gives me pause.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
    CRS907
    Inactive
    (male)

CRS907 HB User

left, you said ' . . . if they resumed early biking or running.' what were you thinking is early?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
    leftcoaster
    Inactive
    (male)

leftcoaster HB User

Hi
    On another forum I visited, a couple of post surgery guys were commenting that they had started early running (about week three) and had to wear heavy pads because they leaked all of the time. But He said he didn't care and would run anyway. Others suggested he might be rushing things and needed longer to heal. I did not read any follow up to that.

My guess is that it might slow down the healing process. The pressure on an already injured area of the body isn't comfortable. Even where I am at 18 weeks, I still feel twinges and pain. As a former rider and sometime triathalete (sprint only) I understand pain, but the healing pain is sharper and gets my attention.

I liked your idea of a recumbent bike. I don't like the low to the ground feeling (Like I am invisible to cars). But the idea of a more comfortable seat sounds good right now

Just listen to your body. Don't push it too far yet.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
    jj1963
    (male)

jj1963 HB User

Triathelete! Cool!
    I'm not a bike rider but i did start jogging at week 7-8. felt fine. found it VERY advantagous regarding continence and hoping the increased circulation will aid potency recovery as well. sometimes its tough to motivate to exercise but i call it "run for erection". thats motivation.

true, every body is different. just thought i'd share.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #14
    jj1963
    (male)

jj1963 HB User

leftcoaster -
    how old are you?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:37 AM   #15
    CRS907
    Inactive
    (male)

CRS907 HB User

one word: recumbent!!!

in spite of my doc's okay, i just couldn't ride my regular bikes yet. each bump, no matter how small, on even the smoothest parts of the [paved, level] bike path sent new unfamiliar waves of discomfort eminatng from that often-mentioned underarriage all though me.

so, yesterday i bought a recumbent. it looks a littel geeky, but the intangible benefits of riding again are immense. i feel like this is a significant milestone in tracking my recovery. i recommend recumbents to all you riders. takes a little gettng used to, but when you catch on, it is fine. and the seat is as comfortable as a plush office chair. i rode a good bit [for one who has been off the bike for a couple of months] yesterday with no pain or discomfort at all.

i still hope to return to regular bikes, but this is fine for now.

Closed Thread