It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

• Changes to your mental state after surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
    rgrondin1
    (male)

rgrondin1 HB User
    Changes to your mental state after surgery

This is from a discussion I had with my wife. She's of the beleif that I've changed in someway after my prostate surgery. She describes me as less tolerate, more irritable, etc. She also discribes her father changing in a simliar fashion when he had his prostate removed 10 years ago.

Personally I thought that I let most thing slide now as they are really not that important in the long run. I'm learning to slow down and smell the roses.... to spend the time with my kids... to enjoy life. I'm woundering if she sense something when I'm waiting for my PSA results every 3 months. It came back at my 3 month mark after surgery at 0.03 btw... YIPEEE!!!

Had your wife noticed any changes in you??

Last edited by rgrondin1; 01-29-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
    mudrunner
    (male)

mudrunner HB User
    Re: Changes to your mental state after surgery

rgrondin1,

Your post caught my eye as I was leaving one on another thread.

Perhaps you were just too nice of a guy to begin with? Now at 65 and married 40 years, after my RRP in 2000, my wife said I was still just as big a pain in the butt I always had been, just a bit more distracted when waiting for the periodic test results.

Everyone is a little different today than yesterday and will be a little different than this tomorrow. Maybe SHE'S different and can't see it. Ooh wee, subjective subject.

I know many women think all men's brains are tied directly to their male member but I've not seen anything that assumes a prostate to brain direct link, even by the most strident of them.

To be serious for a second, I don't think there's any way for an outsider to answer this question. The dynamics in your marriage are yours alone. Only the two of you can come to a common truth to it.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
    Kemahsabe
    (male)

Kemahsabe HB User

In our household, the change was in my wife. The "C" word scared the bejeebers out of her. (I was expecting it after 9 years of rising PSA'a and 3 biopsies, so it was almost a relief.) She was faced with my mortality and it changed her attitude toward me. She was great before - but a little better now.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
    able5
    Veteran
    (male)

able5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kemahsabe View Post
    In our household, the change was in my wife. The "C" word scared the bejeebers out of her. (I was expecting it after 9 years of rising PSA'a and 3 biopsies, so it was almost a relief.) She was faced with my mortality and it changed her attitude toward me. She was great before - but a little better now.
    Ditto...

Not so much my wife being scared. Nothing really scares her to any great extent. At least not that I've ever seen. To her, death is merely a phase of life. Very independent woman. No change in her attitude.

The thing I most agree with is the "almost a relief" part. With my family history, my diagnosis was just a matter of time. I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm glad it came at age 58 and not 68 or later. Surgery made it short and sweet and almost painless and hopefully, "gone"!

Last edited by able5; 01-30-2008 at 07:30 AM.

Closed Thread